Does anyone have any info/experience with Burton Richardson JKDU/ Battlefield Kali?

Discussion in 'JKD-Kali' started by EliasPFS, Apr 24, 2010.

1. EliasPFS

EliasPFS New Member

Has anyone trained under him? I would like to know what experiences people have had with him because I am considering training under him.

2. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I have seen him come up before and his credentials certainly appear unimpeachable. I am not sure how he runs his training program but I thought I remembered hearing something about distance learning or something like that. I do not know if direct testing and training is required or not so that would certainly be something to follow up on. His Battlefield Kali page suggests that they do video testing which is not something I am a big fan of. However, his BJJ page suggests that you have to roll to be promoted so there seems to be a bit of a contradiction there. I would suggest contacting him and seeing what the score is.

Good luck.

3. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I have no experience with Burton but he does have a good reputation. If you are able to train in person then go for it and see if it is for you. If you are trying to learn from video tape then find someone closer as that is frankly impossible to do well.

4. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

I worked out with him back in the day when he was still dating June Castro. I really liked what he was doing at the time. A few years later I took a couple my guys to see him and it was like watching him intimating Vunak's straight blast program. There is no quetion about his ablility. I was supprised to see the change. I don't know what he's been doing with his Battle Field Kali program. He's definitely worth a visit to see what he has to offer.

5. EliasPFS

EliasPFS New Member

oh I see. I actually about to get Apprentice Instructor-ship in Paul's system, but I am fascinated by the other first generation jkders self expression. Is it a copy of Paul's? I saw them de-fanging the snake but that's standard in jkd circles I think. ( unless your ojkd and then you crescent kick the knife)

6. Kentao5

Kentao5 New Member

Been in various MA since 1969. I have been with Burton since 1999, am currently a JKDU Level 3 Instructor, and quite pleased with the JKDU method of training. The new Battlefield Kali Stick & Knife programs are very well done. Strongly suggest you check them out. Don't think you'll be disappointed.

7. EliasPFS

EliasPFS New Member

wait how is the BJJ for street fighting and Silat for street fighting programs? Im an apprentice instructor in Paul Vunaks system, but I have no qualms with trying burtons stuff out

8. Kentao5

Kentao5 New Member

One of the biggest differences is the method of training with progressive resistance and also adding what is needed to survive a street encounter as opposed to winning or going for rounds. I have only seen a little of the Silat for the Street, but Burton just had a Silat For the Street seminar in Californina, so you might want to check out feedback from that. Check out JKDUnlimited forums.