Doces Pares / San Miguel

Discussion in 'Doce Pares' started by Beungood, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Beungood

Beungood New Member

I read where San Miguel Escrima is referred to as "Old Style Doces Pares" , Is Doces Pares derived from it? How are they related and comapre? What makes them disticnt and different?

2. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

San Miguel Eskrima

Filemon "Momoy" Canete was one of the original founders of the Doce Pares Club, and remained an influential force in the organization up until his death in 1995. San Miguel Eskrima was his personal expression of eskrima. It is sometimes called "Old-Style Doce Pares" because Momoy wished to define his method as an traditional style of eskrima that emphasized the use of the blade, and to differentiate his method from the modern tournament styles of Doce Pares.

Best,

Steve Lamade

3. Twist

Twist Junior Member

I visited GM Cassio on Mactan and - even though I dont train any style of Doce Pares - I'd say its a lot different from what I've seen at GM Diony and GM Cacoys Clubs.
    I actually prefer what I've seen of San Miguel 'cause theres more long range action (not the only reason, but an important one for me).

4. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Well the reason many refer to San Miguel as being old style Doce Pares is that many say that there where only two people who stayed true to what the Saveedras taught in the Labangon fencing Club and the original Doce Pares Club and they were the late GM Momoy Canete and GM Inting Carin.

Hence both San Miguel and Vicar are considered Original Doce Pares, but if you ask GM Dionisio nicley he will also show you what Original Doce Pares is too as he too loves to show what was shown in the early days of Doce Pares, he carries a legacy and is more than happy to share it with you, I think that is why GM Dionisio calls his curriculum the Doce Pares Original Multi Style System.

Best regards

Pat

5. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Pat,

Ahh...that makes sense. Is GM Carin's style similar to what Momoy taught?

Best,

Steve

6. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Similar, but different too if you get my meaning, bearing in mind the late GM Ancion Bacon also trained with the same person the late GM Momoy Canete did and if you looked at them side by side they would look vastly different, but GM Inting Carin had more in common with GM Momoy in his movement than GM Bacon did. Maybe that is why they say the GM Momoy and GM Inting were the only two people who stayed true to what was taught to them by the Saveedra's

Best regards

Pat