Doce Pares Training Structure...how do you do it?

Discussion in 'Doce Pares' started by JasonSilverman, Jun 7, 2006.

1. JasonSilverman

JasonSilverman New Member

Greetings All~

I am curious as to how the other Doce Pares players on this list hone their skills - by this I mean do you tend to primarily focus on forms, flow drills, sparring, empty hands, grappling?

At our academy we have developed a nicely structured teaching flow so that our students are able to gain a solid understanding of the curriculum being taught each quarter.

To give an example - each quarter, while me may review all of the Doce Pares forms, we will focus on 1 to ensure that all of the students have the opportunity to pick up on the various nuances. In addition, each quarter, they'll focus on 1 segment of disarms, a certain segment of striking patterns, and a certain segment of flow drills so that at the end of the quarter, the students (and the instructional staff) can see marked improvement :)

At our academy, we offer for adults:

1.) a Mano y Mano class - basically boxing and kickboxing - Doce Pares Style (Lots of sparring, sparring drills, conditioning drills, and more applicable to the street than the ring.

2.) a Basic Dumog (grappling) class - utilizing the main concepts of Doce Pares Eskrima, our students learn a grappling system that succeeds on the street as well as on the mat :)

3.) a competition Dumog Class - this class is designed for our students that want to test their skills in grappling competitions -also an unbelievable workout!

4.) Doce Pares Eskrima Weaponry Class - Here we focus on Solo Olisi, Doble Olisi, Espada y Daga, Baraw, Estokada, and a whole lot of funky combinations of these weapons.

*** Now we also offer an additional 30 kids classes each week where the kids learn mano y mano, dumog, solo olisi, doble olisi, and knife defense.

OK - I've typed for a while...it's your turn! How do you train at your academy?

best regards,

Jason M. Silverman

2. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

Docw Pares

I focus on the Pongumyet.But,my students know its the same thing for the wepon.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Where I studied Eskrido, we did a lot of partner drills--practicing the techniques back-and-forth.

4. MikeAir

MikeAir New Member

We usually start of with free attacks and counters.
    Followed by Abecedario and variations. Then drills, lots of drills.

5. There is no better way to develop skill than in actual sparring. (un-armoured). I have been training under Grandmaster 'Cacoy' Canete now for 11 years and most of that training time has been spent in sparring. Here in Cebu (where I live) I train at the Headquarters 5 days a week for around three hours a day and all of that time is spent sparring. My sparring partner and great friend is Master John John Mac - Chief Instructor of the CDP WF Headquarters (1996 World Eskrima Champion (USA) and 2006 World Champion - CDP WF single & double stick).

Drills are fine, as long as they have some reality and work in actual sparring. If you cannot make it work in live sparring what use does the drill have.

6. salurian

salurian New Member

Drills need to be handle with care. If they are done correct they will improve coordination, timing and accuracy. Done wrong, i.e. striking higher than the head of your partner in sinawalis, will create bad habbits by doing a lot of repetitions on incorrect movements.

And a drill is a drill nothing more. It´s not fighting. For me, it´s important to ask why we do this drill, whats the idea behind it, which attributes will be trained with it and how you can apply it in sparring and/or self defense.

Knowing that empty hands can be transfered to weapons and vice versa is good, but like all things it need to be trained. Other distance, force, energy etc. need to be experienced.

We set it up with footwork, basic strikes and blocks, sinawalis, empty hand applications, counter strikes, some disarms, locks and energy drills. All very basic. But there are no advanced techniques, there are only combinations of basics.

7. I got to see Master John John Mac in action at the 2007 CDP World Championships, I saw him doing some eskrido and I was in awe of his skill.