Doce Pares stick length question

Discussion in 'Doce Pares' started by jezah81, Dec 6, 2009.

1. jezah81

jezah81 Member

Hi guys,

Just wanted to know if there is any strict rule for determining stick length used in Cacoy Canete's Doce Pares? I am about 6"1 tall, and use the regular 28 inch rattan and bahi sticks for my training, both for two person drills and bahi for rubber car tyre striking. I also use the pinuti which has a 21 inch blade and 6 inch handle. Are my sticks too short for me to use for my height, or does it really matter in Doce Pares?

Kind regards,

Jeremy Hagop

2. ninjaJay

ninjaJay New Member

I can't speak for every club, but we have never worried about it. My instructor made a point the other day of using sticks of different length and weight the belief is that you have to be able to use what ever is at hand.

Obviously competitions would be a different story.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

I was told that the stick should be roughly from my armpit to my finger tips. Though, personally, I kinda like something a bit shorter. Not serrada shorter. But shorter.

I'm 6'1" as well, by the way. And the standard lengths always seemed to work just fine for me in Cacoy DP.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Hmmmm, armpit to my finger tips seems to be common advice among many styles!

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

Exactly. A couple of styles I can think of are notable for the unusual stick lengths (Serrada and Dos Manos for instance). But generally, I don't see a great deal of variance in terms of stick length. My personal preference is a bit shorter. But not noticeably so.

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yeah, I tend to prefer mine just a little shorter than that too. I know longer reach is better but I have to feel I can control it too!