Doce Pares Forum Description?

Discussion in 'Doce Pares' started by arnisador, Mar 14, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Doce Pares covers a number of traditions. Can someone suggest a forum description of reasonable length? Here's the lead-in at Wikipedia:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I put up the following description, but I am no expert on this art! Please comment:

I relied on this page and other pages at that site, and Wikipedia as well as my own general knowledge.

Note: The edit of the article above this one was in error. I had intended to edit this one!

3. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Sounds OK to me, but I am sure others will comment too, maybe a mention of the late great GM Momoy would not go a miss.

Best regards

Pat

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

How's this:

Doce Pares was founded in 1932 by a group of Eskrimadors, most notably from the Cañete and Saavedra families. The name Doce Pares refers to the famous twelve bodyguards of Emperor Charlemagne of France. It is a multi-style system, taught in different ways by different instructors. Its main traditions are associated with Diony, Cacoy (Eskrido), and Momoy (San Miguel Eskrima) Cañete.

Does everyone agree that San Miguel Eskrima is still an expression of Doce Pares? (Again, I am no expert here.) Also, is there a special name for Diony Cañete's version?

5. Pat OMalley

Sounds good, and the special name for Diony's version is........ Doce Pares 'Multi Style' Systems:) which honours and pays respects to the 12 Original Styles of the Doce Pares club that was founded in 1932.

Best regards

Pat

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Ah, thanks! I changed it to this:

Doce Pares was founded in 1932 by a group of Eskrimadors, most notably from the Cañete and Saavedra families. The name Doce Pares refers to the famous twelve bodyguards of Emperor Charlemagne of France. It is a multi-style system, taught in different ways by different instructors. Its main traditions are associated with Diony (Multi-style), Cacoy (Eskrido), and Momoy (San Miguel Eskrima) Cañete.

Again, please feel free to comment! Is it definitely Multi style not Multi-style as I have written? I am no expert on Doce Pares, despite having studied some DP/Eskrido recently.

7. Phadrus00

Phadrus00 New Member

8. Pat OMalley

Does it matter? it still say's Multi Style.
    Good description that gets a clear and simple point accross.

Best regards

Pat

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Well, sometimes people have very strong feelings about just how something is spelled ("we do eskrima not escrima!")...I didn't know if this was one of those cases. I guess not! Thanks for the encouragement.