Doce Methodos 9 - Florette / Echekete

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by Mono, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Mono

Mono Member

Hi everyone, this is number nine out of 12 Threads for a detailed Discussion on the Doce Methodos of the Pekiti Tirsia Kali System I have started.

I hope these Threads will help beginners as well as long time Instructors in their understanding of the Techniques, Conceps and Principals of the Doce Methodos.

For a start I will - once again - just put some Information about the Method and some questions you can use as a guiding Idea for your own Post and Reply – to anyone who has other Thoughts and/or Questions, I am looking forward to read them…

Lets keep going…
    This is the Information about the Florette / Echekete taken from www.ptgo.com:
    -Florete/Echekete Attacks
    -Florete/Echekete Twelve (12) Attacks Form
    -Largo Echekete

Is this the way you have been taught/are learning or teaching?
    Do you know the Drills/Techniques/Forms above?
    How do they work / Can you describe it/them?
    How do you Train/Teach them?
    What do you think (have you learned) is the “Essence” of this Method?
    How do you Train, this Method (how often, which Drills etc.)?
    How did you Learn this Method?
    Who taught it to you?
    What (other) Drills and Techniques do you use to Train / Teach this Method?

What else do you know or want to tell all of us about this Method?
    Etc. etc. ect.

I am very much looking forward to your answers!

Some additional Information:

From www.pekiti.com:
    Petals "Florete" (12 movements with foot work) Circular doubling attacks. Used in sword work to strike your opponent's sword across his edge with the back of your blade, thus dulling his blade while sparing your own. Used with a stick as a quick hook-and-cut technique.

A Video of the “Florete/Echekete Twelve (12) Attacks Form” can be found here:
    http://www.nyackfightingarts.com/videos/videos.html

More Info from me to come soon…

Still I hope you will all contribute to this Thread – I am very much looking forward to it!

Yours,
    Mono

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thanks for providing these detailed posts!

It sounds somewhat like the arko--is that right? I think of Florete as a failry tight little circle, and in Dekiti Tirsia Siradas I have also seen it used to change the stick's direction, and of course to counterstrike the hand when the opponent seems about to block the initial strike.

I have to wonder how much value one derives from dulling the opponent's sword in a single battle. Especially since the Filipinos were largely unarmoured--is that a big advantage?

3. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Dulling Opponent's Blade

While it's true that there may be some advantage to dullng your opponent's sword in single battle, there is a greater advantage to keeping your own edge while fighting in a melee. The same technique of offering the spine of your sword by curling your wrist while blocking also keeps your sword edge from chipping or breaking - and it is also probably biomechanically stronger - especially in Four Wall type blocking where you are keeping close to the weapon.

But it does take some skill and many agree that it is more important just to get your sword out there to stop from getting hit and not worry about if you are blocking the "right" way to save your edge.

Best,

Steve Lamade

4. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

When Tuhon Bill McGrath teaches this technique he sometimes talks about the idea of "chipping" or possibly "breaking" the opponent's blade rather than the idea of "dulling". Depending on the way a blade is made and/or the quality of steel - it is not outside the realm of possibilities to do this.

-wes tasker