Doce Methodos 2 - Quatro Cantos (Solo Baston)

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by Mono, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Mono

Mono Member

Hi everyone, this is the second out of 12 Threads for a detailed Discussion on the Doce Methodos of the Pekiti Tirsia Kali System I have started.

I hope these Threads will help beginners as well as long time Instructors in their understanding of the Techniques, Conceps and Principals of the Doce Methodos.

For a start I will - once again - just put some Information about the Method and some questions you can use as a guiding Idea for your own Post and Reply – to anyone who has other Thoughts and/or Questions, I am looking forward to read them…

Lets keep going…
    This is the Information about the Quatro Cantos taken from www.pt-go.com:
    -Four Wall Counter-Offense Attacks
    -Ten (10) Counter-Offense Attacks Form and Drill

Is this the way you have been taught/are learning or teaching?
    Do you know the Drills/Techniques/Forms above?
    How do they work / Can you describe it/them?
    How do you Train/Teach them?
    What do you think (have you learned) is the “Essence” of this Method?
    How do you Train, this Method (how often, which Drills etc.)?
    How did you Learn this Method?
    Who taught it to you?
    What (other) Drills and Techniques do you use to Train / Teach this Method?

What else do you know or want to tell all of us about this Method?
    Etc. etc. ect.

I am very much looking forward to your answers!

Some additional Information from me:
    The Quatro Cantos or Four Wall (Apat na Paligid) “Ten (10) Counter-Offense Attacks Form and Drill” represents the Techniques 13-22 within the “64-Attacks”.
    (A Video of the “64-Attacks” can be found at http://www.nyackfightingarts.com/videos/videos.html it is named “Abecedario Form”)

To my Understanding the Quatro Cantos are the first Counter-Offensive Method you learn as a beginner (Counterstriking instead of “Blocking”).
    The execution of the Techniques is somewhat similar to a “Supported Block” (as some might know from systems like DeQuerdas) at first but using more of a Striking/Cutting motion.
    In the Next stage of Learning you add Tapping and Passing the Attacking Hand with the Live Hand. Once this has been learned you Start “Countertapping” - Countering the Tap by tapping the Tapping hand away (Does anyone understand this sentence?)

When applied in Fighting it is used when I am “Behind” on my Timing.
    (The way I learned to group the Methods is by “Timing” – at first you are “behind”, then you are “equal” and then you are “before”)

Some Drills:
    -Countering by Reaction: One Partner feeds any Attack and the other has to Defend by using the Quatro Cantos (This can be done in a prearranged Order of strikes – as in the “Form” or just free)

-Passing, Tapping, Countertapping:
    Pattern: 1Fluid-2Fluid-1Broken-3Broken-1Fluid-2Broken-4Broken-2Fluid-Repeat
    Step 1: Both Partners strike the Pattern
    Step 2: Switch Hands (Right vs Right, Left vs Right, Left vs Left) without Stopping or changing the Pattern
    Step 3: One Partner adds Passing (on Fluid) or Tapping (on Broken)
    Step 4: Add Countertapping
    Step 5: Entering into the Drill from the “Free-Flow-Sparring” (on any Angle)
    Step 6: Dissolve the Order of strikes
    The Drill can be trained using different types of Footwork (Basic Fluid Switching, Sidestepping or Triangular Footwork)

I am looking forward to any Comments, Corrections and additional Information!!!

Yours,
    Mono

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I think so...once you add that you are all but free-sparring, though, aren't you? Or is it drilled in as A strikes, B blocks, A traps B's live hand, repeat? That is, in Step 5, is it structured so that A always countertaps, or only if his timing is on?

3. Mono

Mono Member

Well, to get a feel for Technique and Timing A "Countertaps" at first on all 8 strikes. When applied in Free-Flow Sparring its up to your timing of course if you can make the countertap work...

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

OK, that makes sense!

I think Balintawak also emphasizes timing in this way (early, on time, late).

5. Mono

Mono Member

Might be...

I only just started exploring Balintawak (beeing one of the Influential Arts within the Formation of Modern Arnis - back to the roots ;) ) so I dont know much about it so far...

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I'm in exactly the same situation--picking up bits and pieces of it in the understanding that it will shed light on my Modern Arnis!