Do you practice a bastardized FMA?

Discussion in 'General' started by geezer, Jun 2, 2008.

1. sjansen

sjansen New Member

I practice a conflomerate of the arts and that may be considered a bastardization of the FMA. We use what we have found o work and throw away what doesn't. We study every type of the FMA and find what works. The rest is thrown away. We may revisit them to see If they have application in certain stages, but we only use what works.

I study Progressive Kali Silat which is heavily ingrained in the Dan Inosanto Blend. We have taken much of what Inosanto does and have put in other thing and taken out others.

So, "Do I study a batard system" absolutely. I however, believe that any good system should and does take the best from other systems and apply them to what works.

2. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

"A bastard born..says I..if it works it can sit at me table, if it don't; well then send it back to purity along with the other lies"

Mikael Khalid Ibn Blagrahv

3. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

And how can you say you spared his life, if you are not able to take it in the first place...

4. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Pat you sooth saying sumbuck..LOL..my point exactly mate....it is life 101 my brother..you and I and a few other like minded lads get it...sadly, a bus load do not.

Oh the horror!

5. bluesbassist

bluesbassist New Member

IMO, nobody has "pure art." It's a fallacy to think that that exists outside of a forms competition. As soon as I show a student something he is interpreting it to work with his particular skill set. In something as dynamically flowing as stick fighting I think this even more true.

For me, once you move beyond the fundamental basics, anytime you start telling your students "this is the way it's done" or "you can't do it that way" you are doing a disservice to your student and yourself. You are doing a disservice to your student because you are taking away the learning experience that one derives from finding things within martial arts that work for them and may even be uniquely their own. You do yourself a disservice because you rob yourself of the beautiful experience of allowing your students to teach you new things about your martial art.

I really see my roll as a coach; guiding my students to find the martial arts that are within them. I give them some basic tools, or add some tools to what they already have and then work with them to see if and how those tools will work for them. In the end, because I am always a student myself, I am rewarded by seeing things in a new way.

6. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Now I have to disagree in that you say their is no 'Pure Art'. What you have just described IS THE PURE ART. A real aritist should be allowed to express themselves in their own unique way, they will draw from their life expeariances and have many influences, that is Pure Art.

The 'We have to do it this way because that is the way it was always been' Crew are not Pure Artists, they are very good at painting by numbers and they can turn out a good picture, but they are not true Artists, That is why I love the FMA so much as a true FMA instructor will hand you some paints, a canvas, give you the basic fundimentals on how a picture can me made and then tell you to go paint a masterpeice and become a Pure Artist.

Pure FMA'ers are Pure Artists and each has their own unique 'Style'. You see that is the difference between FMA and other MA's, many other MAist see their style as being how the whole group looks the same, a true FMA is taught a system by their instructor, they themselves become the Style and it's a style that is unique only to them. And that's why most people who try it, dont really get it.

Best regards

Pat

7. Raul

Raul Mananandata

A bastardized FMA doesn't mean it was changed or modified in anyway. There are things called evolution and devolution which can be both beneficial according to the demands of the times. A bastardized FMA means practicing it with utmost conviction yet with only superficial understanding of what it truly is.

8. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Care to elaborate? I am interested in how you deem what is superficial and what is true. Is this not left to the wants of said practitioner?

One mans gold is another mans garbage...

9. Raul

Raul Mananandata

Do we go to war to kill people? Do we carry guns to kill people? Do we send troops with guns to foreign lands to kill people?
    FMA wasn't born out of invading other lands or nations. It was used to keep invaders at bay. That was its function, to stop the killing of innocent people.

10. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Killing is killing my friend....dead is dead..whether you are conquering or being conquered it is still killing. I agree it may have less of a cultural stigma when done in preservation of country or way of life. Having seen it and tasted it I can guarantee you the dead don't give two shites whether it was defending or conquering, they are just as dead either way. So it is semantics to say that FMA was born to keep invaders at bay. I am sure that tribes in the Philippines whacked out other tribes, invaded other tribes, conquered other tribes lands...it is a natural logical way. In the Americas the Indians wiped each other out in major culling. They to fought to preserve their lands and ways, but they also took, plundered, pillaged etc.

FMA just happens to be arts that function well in the killing fields...but if the practitioner has no ability to push that button then it matters not. You can be the most highly skilled arnisador i9n the world but if you got a soft and sensitive disposition then you might as well take up lawn darts.

11. Raul

Raul Mananandata

No its not left to the wants of the practitioner. You can't just want to play the piano, you should be able to actually play it. If you can play the piano, you can't just say that you can play the guitar. If you can play jazz, you can't just say that you can play blues. Being able to play is tantamount to understanding and how well you play equals the depth of understanding. A question still lingers, "what are you playing?" Is that the art? Who's art? Yours or another's? If its your art then no answer is needed. Your music, your art, your game.. you can play it in anyway you want to.

Very true.

12. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Exactly..and IMHO we should all strive for our own art..our own interpretation..our own formation of knowledge gained.....to me it is the only logical way.

As I see it we all should build our own houses..our past teachers and systems provided excellent blue prints...but by God If I want a crows nest for a budoir then I will do it. Respect what came before but don't be tied down by it.

13. Raul

Raul Mananandata

Why would a tribe want to invade another tribe? Was it out of strength or fear? Why would a tribe defend against invaders? Would it come out of fear or greatness of the heart? It doesn't take much to take a life.. punks, murderers and serial killers do it. But it will take so much of a heart and mind to be able and willing to stake one's life to save another. Defenders of the tribe, family, friends, people, the weak, the young, the old, the innocent.. those are the people I would want to be the source and origin of my FMA.

14. Raul

Raul Mananandata

Real masters would not want us to be clones. They gave us the foundation to build on our own houses.
    A bastardized FMA INMO is a tree with no roots.

15. bluesbassist

bluesbassist New Member

I can go along with that 100%. Well said.:cheers:

16. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

In addition to an FMA being bastardized, you'd best believe that my own personal style is heavily bastardized. If your technique isn't nailed down, I'll steal it! I have a few in-a-pinch moves I picked up from, e.g., a kung fu instructor who taught me nothing else of value from his recently created system. What I do is certainly bastardized, even when I transmit the art as it was taught to me...and even that is tinged by editorial comments about what aspects of it I really like and what aspects of it I'm so-so on.

17. Brock

Brock Asha'man

It would be impossible for me to not. Besides my Senkotiros training I've got several years of Okinawa Kenpo and some other styles that I've dabbled in along the way. I can say that I've been lucky in that in the past 19 years I've only been to 1 seminar where I felt I learned nothing of value. Many of the motions cross over, so how am I to say which is which.

As far as teaching yeah I could do a karate class with a specific curriculum and then an arnis class with a different one and keep everything separate, but when the poop hits the fan would it really matter?

18. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Survival....and within the parameters of survival one will find reason upon reason (slaves, hunting grounds, vendetta, food etc.)

They are one...flip it in the air and see what side turns up!

Survival

Fear drives great deeds, the greatness of the heart angle would definitely be a stretch..IMHO! I don't have much faith in miracles.

Dead wrong, it takes a hell of a lot, and a heavy price is payed. People who have never run in the circle always make that claim.

Yes they do...but now you bring the subject of mental illness and down right evil into the equation. Doctors do it as well. Judges, Wardens..etc..etc...it can touch all walks. If one is a decent human being it shouldn't be easy..if it were you should lump yourself into the afore mentioned thug pool.

Yes it would...on the flip side and rolling down a darker hill it is that same person that makes one wonder..hmm is he a dumb ass or what. Every person has their list of who they would save..or what circumstance if it happened but until that time I will reserve comment on the supposed martyr syndrome..LOL

As would I..but we both know that is a pipe dream. If it were a perfect world it would go down just like that..but it is as close to perfect as Mars is to Mexico. They were human beings, had their flaws, had their skeletons, had their life. I betcha some of them jack asses were some mean SOB's. The mindset most people covet about warriors is that they were some how larger than life in a good way....LOL....yeah right. If I were a betting man I'd say hero by day Thug by night..it is logical..had to survive, had to get over..times were tough...tough guys are tough guys for a reason ;)

19. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

Yes, that's what you do in war...

[/quote]Do we carry guns to kill people? [/quote]

Yes, that's what guns are designed for...

[/quote]Do we send troops with guns to foreign lands to kill people?[/quote]

Yes, just look at the news...

[/quote]FMA wasn't born out of invading other lands or nations. It was used to keep invaders at bay. That was its function, to stop the killing of innocent people.[/quote]

Idk who told you that but FMA was not just used for defending your tribe but to conquer other tribes as well... What form of combat did the ancient tribes use then when they tried to conquer another tribe in PI? I doubt it was Muay Thai...

20. Raul

Raul Mananandata

No, we go to war not to kill people but to show how strong we are.

No, we carry guns not to kill people but to intimidate and control them.

No,we send troops with guns to foreign lands not to kill people but to profit from their lands.

I can only speak for my clan who were definitely defenders of the islands. And for the more popular FMA styles and groups.. I never heard or read any of them categorically stating that their methods came out of invading and marauding other tribes. I don't know if you know any past/present/historical/mythical/mystical/theatrical FMA group/clan style/system whose technical repertoire were once used to pillage neighboring tribes. Pakal back stabbing hints to stealth but not enough to conquer other tribes.