Do you practice a bastardized FMA?

Discussion in 'General' started by geezer, Jun 2, 2008.

1. kroh

kroh New Member

With the MMA craze being what it is... people are less likely to freak out when they hear the art that they are studying is not "pure."

Although bastardization certainly draws folks to the thread I think that the term best describing what people here are going toward is versitile or adaptive. Any time you transplant a person from "home turf" you have to adjust to the new area. Look at silat... all those low stances built to maintain balance in a muddy enviornment... How does that stranslate into a city or in mountainous terrain?

IN any case... I think this is a great topic and you guys are throwing down some valid points...

Best Regards,
    Walt

2. tauhid

tauhid New Member

by Kroh (Look at silat... all those low stances built to maintain balance in a muddy enviornment... How does that stranslate into a city or in mountainous terrain?)

Hello. . . no disrespect kroh.. . .to inform about silat, in tausug Silat the low stances is very effective and this is my 1st time to hear silat should be in a muddy environment, ours its doesnt matter what environment it is. . .

3. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Movement is movement....what matters is the intent of said movement bathed in firey hot simplicity.

4. baganing_balyan

baganing_balyan New Member

I wonder if there are also maranao silat and samal silat since there is a tausug one. Just asking.

5. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Typically low stances are for slippery terrain or unstable conditions. When you're on level ground with more sure footing you can use a more upright and mobile stance. Lower stances are also good for avoiding takedowns.

6. bluesbassist

bluesbassist New Member

I'm a bastard and proud of it. :)

7. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

A bastardization isn't a bad thing IMHO. Isn't everyone's personal interpretation a bastard son of something else? If everything was pure man what a boring time we would have. Do your thing, make your own way, take all your knowledge and build your own damn house. In the end it's your ass on the line, find your own way and build your self preservation system.

8. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

I know of one person who is all about "purity" and "lineage" and how everything is not "watered-down"... Yet when he fights in tourneys, sparring, or whatever, he can barely fight his way out of a paper bag... And claims to have done FMA for over a decade...

All that "watered-down" non-sense is just that... Non-sense... To me watered-down means that it won't work when you need it to... Or if it's not practical in a fight, whether it be in the streets or in the ring/cage or whatever...

This is why I like Bruce Lee's JKD philosophy...

Always remember, combat evolves...

9. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Purity is a lie..nothing is pure, especially when it comes to martial arts...someone definitely blew smoke up his backside.

Seen this scenario before..sad! So many think their way is the only way..and even when you hand them their ass they still believe their own hype. If I were to get waxed it would be only logical for me to find out why and fix it...even if that meant seeking outside help in doing so (another system, teacher etc.)

I agree...100%
    Absorb what is useful..shite can the rest...everyone should develop their own JKD

It sure does...it is a freaking chameleon with an attitude...will bite you square in the bullocks if you disrespect it.

10. Shaun

Shaun New Member

The system I practice (Lightning Scientific Arnis),was founded by Grandmaster Benjamin Luna Lema using and taking what was best from those Masters on the island of Panay.

What I do with my group is introduce and teach techniques and tactics from other systems and styles(not just FMA) primarily so my students can familarise themselves with these different arts and work on counters to these various techniques and tactics.

So yes, I practice a progressive martial art.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  11. The Phalanx

I often hear that whole "watered-down" non-sense from a lot of FMA people... It's ridiculous really... I mean what kind of BS have these people been told to them?

There is no such thing as a "pure" art or system... If anybody believes in that, then they are lying to themselves and/or have been lied to and don't really know anything Martial Arts and the way it evolves...

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Well, Modern Arnis has explicit Japanese influences, just for starters...

13. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Now that all depends on your understanding of concept does it not?

Concept: And abstract or general idea.

Now you see I tend not to follow concepts for the very reason it is an abstract or general idea but has not been proven to actually be a basic law or rule, in other words, we dont know if it actually works in Principle until we try it. It is a theory that has not been put in to practice and to be honest I am not willing to take the risk in the heat of the moment on something that looks good on paper but has no proof of actually working, I dont take gambles like that in a conflict.

So I tend to use and teach as set of principles which is a basic law or rule with things I know work.....

Now philosophy and psychology are not really concepts are they, as they are things we use and practice on a day to day basis.

And once you actually try out a concept, it is no longer a concept as you will quickly find out for the most part whether it works or not, so it then becomes a basic principle.

So really I have to disagree with you on that one.

Why? Are not all Martial Arts by their very nature originally killing based.

Martial: Adj: of or characteristic of war, soldiers or the military life.

Now sorry but the last time I looked, war, soldiers and the military's main purpose was to kill the other side, regardless of reasons. Martial Arts where born from war.

If you go back far enough in anyones culture you will find the same, The Celts (who are my forefathers) took the heads of their enemies and placed them on a pole on the back of their horses as a display when they rode into battle. Does that make me better than the next person who's origins are not the same as mine? No of course not.

And just because our ancesters where not sissies; Does that mean we are not either, I am pretty dam sure that their were as many sissies amoungst our ancesters as their are today. Not everyone was born to fight, not everyone hunted heads, not everyone was brave and bold or is that fool hardy, well that all depends on your perceptions of brave and bold.

The FMA is always (by the very nature of the Principles it works by) adapting, for if it did not it would simply die and would no longer be the FMA. It would be a monkey see monkey do just because that is the way it has always been.

Just my thoughts.

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  14. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

FMA = Killing arts..

If you want something softer go take up backgammon. Can't stand when people want to take these methods and turn them into some silly ass form with Madonna bellowing in the background and a fancy uniform, while 3 judges who don't know shite from shinola critique and award you on your musical form...geees...shoot me now! IMHO if you want to kill FMA sell out and go down this road. Sadly...a lot do.

15. Raul

Raul Mananandata

I don't look at FMA as a killing art although admittedly killing is its primary method. Killing is its form but not its function.

16. The Phalanx

FMA was born from warfare, you kill people in war... FMA is all about finishing the fight by finishing the enemy...

So killing is its form and function... They did not make those blades to twirl around with... They made it to pierce your flesh and cut your bones... Therefore killing the other guy...

17. Archery and Marksmanship are killing arts. Yet people find a beauty and meditative purpose in them. I find beauty in the applications of FMA but rarely (reading youtube aside :() think about killing....

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Just because something is originally a killing art, does not mean you have to constantly kill with it.

FMA is originally a killing art, but you have choices and because you choose not to use it to kill, does not mean you cant if the need arises. There is grace and beauty in everything and I love the grace and beauty of the art too but it is at it's base a killing art for if it where anything else it would be dancing.

Best regards

Pat

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

I'm definitely a mutt. And what's more, I'd guess that if you looked at each and every generation of what I do, you'd see hybridization. Go back to the Spanish occupation, and you see the influence of Western fencing (hence the term "eskrima" in the first place). Go back two generations from me, and you get GM Cacoy Canete, who told me he'd trained in boxing, karate, jiujutsu, judo, aikido, and wrestling, in addition to FMA. My teachers, the Patalinghugs, also teach taekwondo. And I've trained in taekwondo, kickboxing of various sorts, Western fencing, JKD, and karate, in addition to FMA.

I think the idea of purity was appropriately set aside a very long time ago. I think it's a distinctive feature of FMA that the mindset emphasizes tools. Take some handwork from boxing because it's a tool. And if you're trying to get something accomplished, you find the tool to do it properly. You don't hem and haw over the fact that you had to borrow the tool from your neighbor or had to go over to the the Home Depot rather than the local hardware store.

You have a job. You have access to the tools. You take them and get the job done.

Very sensible.

Stuart

20. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Exactly Pat..the arts were designed for killing, that much is obvious. FMA is a tool as is a pistol or a knife....it has many ways to use it but it always comes down to the individual wielding the weapon. People should not forget that at the heart of the matter is the ability with said methods to end human life...if one refuses to embrace that element he or she may miss the bigger picture. In knowing this a found respect is definitely present..and in it's presence a person can find peace knowing that he has acquired skills to do max damage. A humbling gut check to be sure.