Do you carry a blade on a regular basis?

Discussion in 'General' started by Carol, Oct 26, 2006.

?

Do you carry a blade regularly?

1. Yes

100 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. silat1

silat1 Active Member

FYI, they are primarily made from leaf springs from various trucks and cars that have met the great salvage pile in the sky.. Car axles have a higher tensile strength and would take a serious forging and hammering to get them down into billets the size where they could be shaped into the balisong blade blanks.

2. Kailat

Kailat KAILAT KOMBATIVES GROUP

After last night, I have to question why do we carry blades? Self Defense Purposes, Industrial reasons, because its cool and makes us feel superior?

Well, today after an incident last night I have to re ask myself WHY DO I CARRY A BLADE? less than 24 hrs ago I would answer this question "For Self Defense"... But when that moment comes can u, will u use it? Can u live w/ yourself the next day? Would you think to yourself there are several other things you could use instead of a knife or knives to defend yourself? What if its all you have?

I'll tell u what, right now! TODAY! Im not sure I will carry a blade on my person again in public. Because I had almost used mine in a self defense situation and I realized it was too convenient to go for it w/out thought. Pure instinct to pull it out and use it w/out really thinking of the outcome.. I think in many cases there are far more reasons why not to carry a knife than why to carry one... It's like the old saying goes. U pull out a weapon you had better be prepared to use it and take on all responsibilities for your actions.. I realize today that our govt wants us to live in a constant state of fear and to be slaves to our society.

We are being primmed as slaves where self defense is not an option. Slavery to our society where the thugs, and criminals will over run our streets and where the common citizen is in fear of going downtown, or going to an establishment for enjoyment without fear of becoming a victim of our society and the bad guys.. so its easier for us to sit at home hoping we will be safe.. but once u step outside and are outside you are at the weakness of your government and the very laws that were made to protect you and in one intance u are the victim and the law sees you as the problem...

For so long I have seen the law from one side... From the eyes of the govt. How they wanted me to see it.. It is not until you yourself are put in a position and realize rather quickly that the laws that are meant to protect u in fact are against you.

3. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

its case to case basis but if its needed in your job then its usefull. well since our job is in the fighting system we must protect ourselves at all cost, we cant predict when treatchery strikes from a rivalry by any mistakes.

4. geezer

geezer Member

OK, I've posted on this before, so I apologize in advance for repeating myself. But in the context of today's world, the knife is a poor choice of weapon for self defense.

First off, knives don't offer you a range of options or "continuum of force". If it doesn't work as a deterrent, then you are commited to use it , and likely with lethal consequenses. Luckily for you, Corey, It did deter those jerks.

Secondly, if it is necessary to resort to lethal force, a knife is pretty much "taboo" in our society. It is stereotyped as the weapon of assassins and thugs. Firearms are relatively more acceptable, at least where I live. I personally know one individual who shot and killed an intruder in "self defense" and not prosecuted. Another case appeared recently in our local paper where a teenager fought off a burglar with a baseball bat. Both were hailed in the press as crime-fighting heroes. Had either guy knifed the intruder to death, I don't think the story would have ended the same way at all!

Finally, Using knife involves very close range combat and has a whole set of risks ranging from getting injured yourself, to contracting incurable blood-born diseases such as hepatitis B and C, and HIV.

Considering these and other factors, knives are seriously problematic for self-defense. Honestly, there has got to be a better solution besides giving up and living, "as slaves where self defense is not an option". Any suggestions?

5. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Cory, do not take this the wrong way brother. You said in the original post about this incident that you were enjoying a few drinks. Do you believe that the few drinks might have altered you slightly in judgement? If so do you feel being 100% sober would have led you to the same physical conclusions? The reason I ask is simple. Alcohol impairs everyone who drinks it, especially if you had, as you say a few....I have fallen pray to that as well when I was a drinker. I truly believe that the decisions we make under alcohol duress may not always be the logical conclusion, rather a placebo of sorts for the time continuum we have just found ourself in. Ask yourself how you would have handled the situation if you were 100% sober. Then start carrying your blade again. The blade is harmless it is the man and the decision which renders it lethal! With respects bro, from a friend.

Mike

6. kaligirl

kaligirl New Member

I carry a knife on a daily basis. As a woman I believe in having all the advantages I can get in the self-defense category. Since I am not one to pick a fight If I was involved in a self-defense situation my life would very likely be at risk....ie carjacking, attempted rape etc..... so i feel justified in carrying an extra measure of protection. A gun is impractical to carry around on my daily errands and is often verboten in many places I frequent.....a University, banks, etc... but I do own a firearm and would rely on it for home defense.

7. Kailat

Kailat KAILAT KOMBATIVES GROUP

Mike B.

Hey, just read this tonite after getting home from work. To answer your question, I say half and half. I will take blame on both parts as if I was drinking a "few" beers (4) to be exact in an 5 hour time frame.. So was I drunk? Maybe I was, maybe I wasn't.. I wasn't near, nor did I take a PBT so as we all know .08 is legally intoxicted.

But I will admit I was slightly buzzed, but if there was any intoxication I was stone sober after the event.. LMAO!!

But seriously, and NO i didn't take any offense to your question or post. But sure i'll agree possibly the fact I was drinking had something to do w/ it.. However, would I have done the same thing sober or had not had any drinks that evening.. Honestly, YES I think it's a good possiblity I would of.. Id be damned if Im gonna play super man in a dark parking lot against 2 grown men... trained, skilled or not.. Im gonna go down the road of protect all around me..

I have not stoped carrying a blade.. I just limited how many ; )

I seriously and whole honestly feel I grabbed for my knife for a couple of reasons!

A) instinctive response: Always training w knives, and by being trained to rely on a side arm by carrying it on my side w/ my PT job.. knowing that when a threat arrives go for the equalizer... I seriously feel it was a direct response of trained response...

8. KaliGman

KaliGman Professional Man at Arms

Interesting perspective, Geezer. I actually disagree. I consider the knife a viable weapon for self defense, as is a firearm, a stick, and others. Some of these items are better than others, but what works best often depends on the specific situation (environment and range, opponent's and armament, etc.) rather than a "firearm is always better" or other some such ranking system.

Many knives can be used very effectively as palm sticks. In particular, Bram Frank's Lapu Lapu and Gunting series of folding knives are excellent in this regard. Guro Bram has a very well integrated and thought out system designed around using the knife as non-lethal (or "less than lethal" in the current law enforcement vernacular) tool and escalating to lethal if necessary and appropriate. Having the ability to use the "sliding scale" of response options on the force continuum so beloved of law enforcement administrators is a nice option to have. Albo Kali Silat also does a lot of work with a closed folding knife used as a striking tool, joint and nerve point manipulation tool, etc. A lot of these types of techniques can be accomplished with a small flashlight if you choose not to carry a knife, but you can't do the whole "Gunting syllabus" without a Gunting or Lapu Lapu, and you can't cut with a flashlight.

I have only worked in Phoenix a time or two on a TDY basis in my federal law enforcement career, so am no expert in the politics and "law enforcement mind set" of the area. However, I have interacted with Arizona law enforcement on various levels throughout the years. I also have been around the block a time or two in regard to working shootings, stabbings, and other malicious woundings/felonious assaults. In general, the weapon really does not matter that much in my experience. The key to any self defense situation is articulation. A legitimate use of a knife in self-defense has been treated the same as a legitimate use of a firearm, or a brick, stone, or stick for that matter. If you can articulate why you were in fear of your life or of serious bodily harm, then you can use a tool to save your life and safeguard your person. It does help if you are a pillar of the community. A known "gang banger" or career felon is going to be scrutinized and/or disbelieved no matter what tool he uses to defend himself, even if it is empty hands and he is fighting multiple opponents (unless, of course, they are other known offenders). As for the items you see in the paper regarding self-defense, for every mention in the paper I can recall when I was working housing projects as a municipal police officer, there were dozens listed in police incident reports. I lost count. long ago, of the incidents of self defense I encountered in my duties where no one was prosecuted. A slow news day, a chance to advance a treasured political opinion, or a particular "human interest" angle seemed to be what triggered a lot of news media attention when it came to self-defense issues. Stuff like a Boy Scout using a scout knife to fight off a rapid pit bull and save 30 nuns from contracting rabies or an outlaw biker attacking a gay pride parade with a switchblade and getting beat to death with rainbow banners would always make the press. The knife may be more vilified in the press in Arizona. In my experience, the tool did not matter as much as the defense. If the press was of the "you should smile and take it because any violence is always wrong" political persuasion, you were going to be painted as a demonic douchebag regardless of whether you used a knife, a toothpick, or an Uzi.

Using a stick can give you a bit greater range. Using empty hands will mean you may be a bit closer in than you would be with a knife. In a real life-or-death struggle, regardless of whether you use a knife, a stick, a firearm, or empty hands, my experience is that blood is probably going to flow. It takes only a tiny open cut or a bit of blood encountering your mucus membranes, entering your nose or mouth, to enable you to contract some of the blood borne pathogens of which you speak. Training and experience indicate that HIV and many of the other diseases are very fragile once they leave the body and that you often don't contract anything, even if blood contact is made. I have had to arrest known AIDs carriers who were combative and resisting arrest. It is not a fun experience, but it is not an instant death sentence either. You can get the same kind of "blood exposure" or contact when hitting an opponent with a baton, when punching and grappling, etc. Speaking of grappling, though I never personally met a law enforcement officer who contracted AIDS or hepatitis from a knife wound, I do know of a fine SWAT officer who retired after contracting hepatitis from a used hypodermic needle that was on the floor of a crack house and punctured his knee when he went to the ground.

I have taught and/or recommended the use of the "tactical flashlight", OC (pepper spray), the baton, the knife, and various firearms for self-defense and law enforcement purposes. I have never used TASERs, but they have their place, along with all of the other tools mentioned. Knives are carried by many FMA trained people in the United States due to the fact that they are trained in stick and knife. A nice, concealable baton, such as an ASP, is mostly not an option for people to carry, except for law enforcement officers. Carrying a baton or other "stick" concealed is "illegally carrying and concealing a club" in a great many U.S. states. Carrying one openly is banned in some states ("carrying a club"), and will get you a few raised eyebrows and perhaps an interview with a nice law enforcement officer in other states where it is legal. Carrying a folding knife, for the most part, is legal in the various states (blade length allowed varies, and you can't carry in courts, other government buildings, etc.).

In my opinion, the knife is a viable self-defense option, with proper training. So are many other tools. Choose what works for you. As for me, my knives are weapons, tools, "pocket jewelry" (I love a well constructed knife, and enjoy them every bit as much as my pilot friends enjoy their exquisitely crafted Breitling chronographs), and teaching implements. I have an MP-5 submachine gun in my vehicle. Tomorrow I will strap on a Glock 21 .45 ACP with an attached Surefire flashlight, and back it up with a couple of spare magazines full of hollowpoints. I will have a 21 inch ASP baton with me. I will also carry a couple of knives. The knives are a viable option if things go really, really, bad. They are part of my GTHP (Go to Hell Plan--for when things go to hell and nothing is working my way). They also are useful tools. Using a .45 caliber Glock to open 300 boxes of evidence so you can prepare for prosecution of an investigation is rather noisy. I'd rather use a Spyderco Military or Emerson CQC-7, and know that, if necessary, they can both do more than open boxes.

Of course--just my thoughts--your mileage my vary.

9. 5tirosCamarin

5tirosCamarin Katulong Guro

One thing that training in FMA gives us (well, depending on the art) is at least a basic look at the physiological aspects of fighting with a knife. Slice the inside of the arm, damage nerves and muscles that control squeezing motions with the hand. Slice the outside, damage nerves and muscles that allow the opponent to open his hand. We are taught several points which, when cut, are bleed-out-points.

So, depending on the art, FMA practitioners know how to kill almost instantly (within a couple seconds, at least) with a knife. That doesn't mean that an FMA guy will automatically go for a kill in self defense, however. I think knowing these things can make self defense with a knife safer, because the trained knife fighter not only knows how to kill, but also knows how NOT to kill. You can still neutralize the situation without bleeding out your attacker if you avoid vital areas, go for slashes rather than thrusts, and even pull your slashes a little so they're not as likely to do irreparable damage.

As for suggestions other than a knife for self defense, DRAC on martialtalk.com showed some things with a Protek Key. It's basically a hard plastic or maybe even graphite elongated key that you can use to make a pressure point pretty much anywhere just by jabbing it into somebody. It's very good for compliance take-downs and reinforcing joint locks. As far as that goes, you could just use your keys or a sharp dulo dulo of some sort. How bout a pencil/pen? Speaking of keys, mine have a loop on them big enough that I can make a kerambit out of them. I know I can't slash with my keys, but I can whip you in the eyes with them and then grip them i.e. icepick grip and grind them into your clavicle. Nonlethal, but painful as F**K.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  10. geezer

geezer Member

Wow, that was a great response...really thorough. My grandad was a rancher. He used to say "A man is never without a knife." And that went for the women up at the ranch too. So I grew up thinking of knives as an indespensable tool you carried everywhere. I just wouldn't favor one for self defense...except as a last resort. I thought your comments about using a folder as a palm stick were right on the mark. I guess I'd personally be more comfortable with a club (large flashlight, wrench, hammer, bat, golf club, steering-wheel lock, pool cue, or what have you) since I think I might hesitate too much before being willing to stab someone. Or maybe not. I've never "been there" and will do what I can to avoid that kind of situation. You LEOs don't have that luxury I guess.

11. chubbybutdangerous

chubbybutdangerous CHUBBY MEMBER

:bow:Yeah, I most definitely carry a knife on a regular basis. It's a tool.. a tool that can be used as a means of defense if necessary. It's an all around tool for survival should I get stuck in the middle of nowhere. I carry a folder but when I find a good fixed blade that will fill all my requirements for carry I will probably change to that. I feel incomplete without one.

Like anything else I have close to me, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I can't remember how many times I've been out in the desert and someone had need of a knife. As far as self defense use.. people need to train their mind/mentality as well as their body.

No one wants to use any weapon to hurt someone else needlessly. But as a former marine, I am more than ready to take anyone out if need be. What if you have a loved one with you while in a situation. If my babygirl (whose in college) or my son (who's a US Marine) were relying on me (ok, my son wouldn't) for safety, there is no way in hell I would hesitate in using a knife or any other weapon of opportunity to cause an attacker to become incapacitated for the next several moments.

Train mind and body for an assault. Know your situation and surroundings. Train to be aware. Train to make decisions under duress, and hopefully you'll be able to avoid a situation. And I hope we all have a "button or switch" to turn on the agressive side when the need arises.
    :whip:

Respectfully,
    Chubbybutdangerous

12. adam t babb

adam t babb New Member

i am to poor to be batman

13. bentit

bentit New Member

yes, i can't afford to get my ccw permit yet. A 3" folding knife is better than nothing

14. equilibrium

equilibrium New Member

I carry steel every day even if just around the house, have a blade by the bed, by the computer and in the shower. If I expected trouble, I would have multiple handguns and a rifle or shotgun close were ever I was besides an airport.

For me this survival thing is like, you either do it or you don't and if you are going to do it, do it right. I am surprised some other FMA people don't think that way.

And someone said empty hands were enough. This is ridiculous. I can take Mike Tyson out with weapons, no problem.

15. AZEskrimador

AZEskrimador In All You Do... Be You!

I'm not one for carrying a fixed blade but folders often come in handy in every day life. A folder can, not only, open packages, cut ties or boxes but can also be good in an emergency situation, such as breaking a window in an emergency or cutting off a seat belt in clench.
    I don't carry a blade with intent to use in a self defense situation.
    There might be those quick draw artists of us out there who can draw that knife in a flash but dependence on a weapon can sometimes make one hesitate or reach for the weapon first in the presence of an immediate threat.

A Portion of My Opinion... Please take it for what it's worth to you.

Stay Safe All

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  16. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

The patent for the original so called butterfly knife is in the UK Patent Office and dated to the mid to late 1800's, it was originally invented for those sailors who worked in the Cannon / Powder Room, the folding handle was made of brass because brass does not give a spark and hence the blade (mainly for cutting the wick to the cannon) would be protected in the brass handle.

So it was probably brought to the region by British Sailors and quickly adopted and adapted by our Pinoy Brothers as it was no longer required in the Cannon / Powder Room from the early 1900's as the automatic cannon and the use of encased shells where becoming more common. And remember many Pinoy's of that time where sailors so they would have come across that particular knife on more than one occassion and may well have taken it on for themselves.

Many in the Philippines know the blade as the Batangas Knife.

Best regards

Pat

17. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

In my younger days I was, well lets say a bit of a naughty boy and I used to carry several blades and was quite prone to showing them when the need arose, but as I got older and more sensible I no longer feel the need to carry any blade at all.

Yes I have one on me every day, working in the construction industry I have a nice little knife that has a folder at one end and a box cutter at the other, and they flic out quite easily with a twitch of the thumb, but I use that for work and when I finish it goes into the tool box till next time.

Do I carry any weapons? Well if you search me as a Lawman, no I dont, but then again if you have a mind to, anything can become a weapon.

If feel confident enough now that I dont need it on me all the time, after all 99% of the population are not out to get me, and for those unlucky individuals who do try, so far I have been lucky in that I am nastier than they are when the need arises and I am surrounded by weapons in my every day life, no matter where I am.

That is the wonderfull thing about FMA, no matter where I am, I know I can put my hand on a weapon if the need arises as I know that from my training and my own personal expeariance in life, anything I want to be a weapon will become one.

Best regards

Pat

18. lameco_alex

lameco_alex New Member

Yes I do

I carry a blade all the time, folder blades of course, I own a benchmade Griptilian and a Cold steel Recon 1, they are my favorites for every day!
    I carry the blades for self protection, donĀ“t forget that knives are wonderful tools too!

19. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I have been carrying lock blades for years. I have started switching over to carrying straight blades...in a lower back rig.....I know some frown upon this but it is a damn comfortable carry...and it is a warm, tingly feeling knowing your backed up with a solid, stream lined, gleaming piece of steel! Sharpened to a fine hone., that can rip through the flesh and still cleave bone.....ahhhh....arrrrghhhhh...here she be lads..this is me back rig carry[​IMG]

REDSCORPION SIX SENTINEL....from my buddy Aaron....

checkem out...

www.redscorpionsix.com

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  20. geezer

geezer Member

Aha! Michael, So you are a pirate... or at least have barely concealed pirate tendencies. Anyway, nice blade.