Do you carry a blade on a regular basis?

Discussion in 'General' started by Carol, Oct 26, 2006.

?

Do you carry a blade regularly?

1. Yes

100 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

The FMAs have a rich history of blade training.

How many of you folks carry a blade, for whatever reason, on a regular basis?

2. Carol

Personally, I do carry. While my primary motivation is self-protection, I've found it to be very convenient to carry something that can cut through tye-wraps and open boxes upon demand. :D

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Not always, but when I think I may need one, yes. So, reasonably often! I do have a keychain blade (about 2") that I use for boxes etc. It's been very handy for, of all things, piles of newspapers, at the school and in stores, that still have that band around them!

4. balita

balita <B>News Bot</B>

MT: Do you carry a blade on a regular basis?

Do you carry a blade on a regular basis?
    By Carol Kaur - Thu, 26 Oct 2006 15:39:46 GMT

====================

The FMAs have a rich history of blade training.

How many of you folks carry a blade, for whatever reason, on a regular basis?

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

5. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

Always, everyday. I feel naked without one.

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Often, but far from always (apart from the very small utility blad on my keychain)!

7. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Nearly daily. It's useful at my job.

8. langgaw

langgaw New Member

No, I don't. Logic suggests that you are bound to use it in times of trouble. An empty hand is more than enough and that is the main training skill learned anyway. Knives and other weapons are only used as extension osyour empty hands. But when trouble comes, other tools can can quickly become a knife like your keys, pen, credit cards, wedding ring and my favorite part ....my fingernails. Arnis teaches all these anyway and in tha way one will not have to worry about getting searched and caught with a bladed weapon and no gets cut from a nasty edge of a knife. Also it might cause death accidentally. My 1/2 cent. Despite I think people feel more confident and secure when they carry a knife.

9. Carol

Just a note - two threads on identical subjects (one thread posted by me, the other thread was brought over on Balita) are now merged.

Carol Kaur
    FMATalk Moderator

10. Carol

Fighting empty-handed also might cause death accidentally.

No martial art should be performed irresponsibly.

11. James

James Crescent City Eskrima

I carry a weapon all the time. It's my mind. That little quip being said, I have my CCW, carry a Glock 19, and my knives. I'm more of a knife guy (since I've trained in the FMA so long). I usually carry my custom small fixed blade by Ivan Campos on my strong side and a waved Spyderco Endura on my complimentary side. I usually carry a flashlight and some other "less than lethal" option as well. Designed for pakal grip:

Attached Files:

12. langgaw

langgaw New Member

I totally agree with the issue on accidental killing and the responsible use of martial art. I just think that when one learns a martial art, he/she becomes a weapon in itself and use of it/yourself becomes a huge resposibility. Maybe I have a different view i.e. when I have a knife, I am 10x deadlier than one w/o especially if I am trained properly with it. As to the opponent, he/she is now faced with the burden of sidarming or avoiding the knife. Also, having a knife will tend to make me attack and not be self defensive anymore because I nkow that the opponent will fear the look of the knife more than me......Now if he has a knife/any weapon, that is a different story because he culd be attacking you and the role is reversed. IMO, knives are scary and as I said before, Some people feel better with aa knife/weapon by their side. Your worry is dramaticallyreduced except for the constables who always asks for a reasno... regards to all

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That's a neat-looking knife! I like the simple, stylish look of many of the knives on that page.

14. James

James Crescent City Eskrima

Thanks! I really like the way Ivan's knives look, and it's one of the reasons I went to him to help me make my knife. It's small enough to carry but feels great in the hand. The wharncliffe blade is easy to sharpen, has good penetration and creates a good wound channel, and it also facilitates trapping or "hooking" when the knife is held in pakal. The end is beveled to cap it with your thumb.

The aesthetics are Japanese the fuction is Filipino.

James W

15. Carol

Good points to bring up Langgaw. :)

Different fighters will have different perspectives on the same issue....but...keeping the reaction of law enforcement in mind is generally a good idea.

It can also help the defender to know how the law may apply to them. Masaad Ayoob has said that lethal force is an effective defense against rape in all 50 states. While I'm not legally qualified to comment on Mr. Ayoob's statement...I suspect that he is correct based on some of the material that I have seen from rape prevention organizations. However, the same rape prevention orgs agree that simply carrying a weapon is not enough...the carrier must have the training and the willingness to use it.

It's very much a personal decision :)

16. nash

nash New Member

Im almost never without my knife. It is pretty much a job requirement for me. About the only time I dont carry it is when I go to a place where there may be some trouble i.e. picking friends up from the bar.

17. Carol

Thats interesting...that you would prefer to be unarmed when potentially at a trouble spot. I can see why that can be important...esp. after langgaw's post.

18. langgaw

langgaw New Member

....lethal force is a good option against rape attempts and definitely the ability to use he knife. Another factor to consider is the presence of mind of the victim where fear paralyses (?) even a trained individual. In training, a practitioner should practice intently like it is really happening in order to ready the frame of mind in the real event. That way fear deminishesin actual situation. Especially for women and even in men where fear often times overcomes self confidence. I read of an incident when one lady was really overcomed by two rapists-to-be and using common sense allowed her attackers to fondle her and totally abandoned all efforts to resist. When they guys were all ready for action... she calmly told them that she has AIDS and some communicable disease and you know the rest of the story. Anyway, carrying a knife and its use is really as you said a personal choice.

19. Matt Lamphere

Matt Lamphere New Member

I carry every single day. The blade's use as a utility tool is invaluable to me.

Also ... to me the knife provides a mental focus point. A talisman if you will. (No I'm not a crazed knife worshipping kook :) ) it offers a certain level of confidence knowing that you have it on your person.

Do I ever really want to use it ? Absolutely not. Not only do you need to worry about the legal and ethical ramifications of "going all freddy kruger" on someone - there is the reality of transmitting disease. You get cut, your aggressor is cut (who is no doubt a surley, unclean sort of person) and now your mixing blood. Not a pleasant thought.

Of course there is also the question of whether you can actually deploy the thing in a high stress situation. If you are in "self defense" mode you are already behind the curve. You assailant has the advantage with timing, initiation, and deadly intent. You have your hands full with whats in front of you. The deck is already stacked against you because you've failed to manuever yourself to a safe position prior to engagement.

But of course there is always the "you never know" factor. Crazy things happen. Frankly knives are just really cool, and I'm a geek.

I suspect that this will be a debate for the rest of time :)

20. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I always have multiple tools on my person. A utility knife is essential for day in and day out tasks. Folding knives are a perfect tool to help whether it be for a utility purpose or to protect yourself against some violent person.