DIY Training blades

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by London, Nov 23, 2010.

1. London

London New Member

well, after a lot of frustration and destroying a good deal of this very expensive material I finally got my first training sword completed. I'ts made from 1/2" polycarbonate and is practically indestructible. I hit a fence post as hard as I could and it didn't even make a mark on it.

this is not an authentic pattern of any kind, just my interpretation of what a sword should be, based on my current martial philosophy and training style. I would have made the punyo spike a tad longer but I only had 24" of length to work with.

[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

2. blindside

blindside student

Nice falcata! :D

3. TuhonBill

TuhonBill New Member

Cool! Very nice looking. You mentioned destroying your first few tries. What made the polycarb so difficult to work with?

Thanks,

Tuhon Bill McGrath

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  4. sjansen

sjansen New Member

What did it cost to make? Does it destroy sticks like aluminum training knives? Does it chip when you use it and cause sharp edges like aluminum? Where did you get the polycorbonate?

Yes, I think the idea is awsome and have made many training blades our of wood, but would like to explore polycorbonate blades. The polycorbanate sticks destroy both my training partners hands and their sticks and can only be used solo. But, wood blades for swords do the same with regards to the hands. Have you hit polycarb on polycarb? You get spurs and chipping when doing so with aluminum and it's just dangerous. I was wondering if the same was so with polycarb. Also, I need a good supplier.

5. London

London New Member

I found the polycarb sheet on ebay (just be careful on shipping charges!). And don't get acrylic or any other inferior plastic as it will chip even though it looks the same.

it definitely does not chip, even when hitting hard objects. Not sure what it would do to wooden sticks, but the nice rounded edges I achieved with a router should help. I then buffed the edges with a belt sander with fine grit.

I elected to go to polycarbonate because I've had aluminum training knives bend under extremely hard use in knife grappling. Under the same extreme circumstances a wooden blade could splinter and cause a serious injury which concerns me. and finally, I just wanted to make something unusual.

this material handles very strangely and I got my speed/feed rate wrong trying to cut it like steel or aluminum. I changed out to a more coarse blade on my saber saw and tried to reduce the RPM's as much as possible to avoid melting and the blade sticking as it did several times on the first try.

This could be a serious less-lethal weapon come to think of it. it handles like a dream and has no sharp edges to be considered 'deadly' although I'm sure it would be considered a dangerous weapon and you'll suffer the consequences if you do something inappropriate with it. if I have it behind the passenger seat of my car in my martial arts gear bag and need to defend myself against a knife, bat or even machete I think this could be really handy.

Sadly class in Tahoe is canceled due to snow so I'll have to wait til next week to play :(

6. London

London New Member

Ok, new addition: a very simple lightweight and extremely fast 'bladed stick'. Blade + Stick = Swick? hmmmmm. anyway it's a delight to use but you
    definitely want the cord wrap to nix the vibrations. I used a more bulky wrap technique on this one as it's more narrow.

[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

7. London

London New Member

Well I'm just having too much fun here :) today I made this trainer from 1/4" polycarb and am really enjoying it. I like it so much I'm going to make a live blade version with some minor tweaks. I wanted something that has the following qualities:

-excellent trapping ability with back of blade
    -will not allow hand to ride up on the blade when trusting
    -works well in saber or reverse grip

I've found that the curvature of the back of the blade combined with the up-swept guard catches wrists really well too. very cool.
    overall length 10 1/4"

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. sjansen

sjansen New Member

How does it work against rattan? Does it chip and break sticks? Aluminum usually is brutal on rattan and cracks and chips it. Play with it and let me know.

9. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

London, ecellent work! thank you, i've made some trainners out of aluminum, I will give this try also. Again well done!

10. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

11. London

London New Member

my latest homemade piece is a trainer analog of the Emerson Commander:

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]