Dislocated my knee cap

Discussion in 'General' started by Tarot, May 2, 2006.

1. Tarot

Tarot New Member

Over the weekend my school was holding a Modern Arnis camp and it was my very first camp as a student of MA. So what do I do? Blow out my knee. :smash: It was during the first session too! So I missed the rest of the camp. Man I was so bummed and I'm still annoyed with myself. My leg is in a brace and I go see an orthopedist this Friday. Hopefully he's got some good news for me.

However, I did make it to my regular MA class last night. It was nice to get out of the house because I was feeling a bit confined. My fabbo instructors worked on some moves with me that I can do from a sitting position. I'm not going to let a busted knee keep me away! I figured you all would understand where I'm coming from! :bow:

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

What bad luck! How did it happen?

I'm glad you're working on what you can. You can certainly practice striking while seated.

3. Tarot

Tarot New Member

Not positive on the specifics as my memory is a little hazy. ;) I know we were working on some block/check/counters with one stick. I had my left leg in front, right leg in back and I twisted my hips towards the right. Pop went my knee and I went down like a ton of bricks. :augen22: I had to get two shots of pain killers at the ER before they could put it back in place. :p:

4. Roger Agbulos

Roger Agbulos New Member

Die hards never die...

Just take it easy Tarot, you'll be back it top condition again much sooner than you think. :bow:

5. Rocky

Rocky New Member

WOW!!! Mere mortals like myself would have just faked a stomach ache or head ache to get out of training....:)

Only true warrior could reach such a level of mental and physical enlightment to dislocate his own knee to get out of training.......You sir are my new hero!!!:)

Rocky

Hope you get good news from the Doc, and heal quickly.

6. Tarot

Tarot New Member

Thanks guys! :bow:

Psstt, I'm a chick, so does this still apply? ;)

7. blindside

blindside student

Oh, nevermind then, everyone knows chicks have higher pain tolerences than guys.

Lamont

8. Tarot

Tarot New Member

It's a month later and I'm back in business! :coolyello I've gotten the OK from both my physical therapist and my doctor that I'm able to be back in class. I'm still taking it easy when doing falls and take downs for the moment but other than that, I'm good to go. :biggrinbo

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That's great! You can do a lot in the FMA without takedowns. Swing those sticks!

10. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

11. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Glad to hear your doing better, take care & keep on training.

Peace:party:

12. Cruentus

Cruentus Tactician

Glad your feeling better...

Some unsolicited advice, though...

As soon as your able, I would do some resistance exercises to build the area back up. Manual Squats, lunges, down-ups, etc. Doing some "knee specific" exercises to strenghten the sides of the knees, and getting to the gym and doing light resistance would be a good idea.

From a dislocation, tendons and ligaments have recieved trauma, and those take a long time to heal, even if you think you are 100%. Resistance training will help this process.

By the sounds of things, though, the area might have been weaker then it should have been too begin with. Another reason to work some resistance.

I say all this because knee injuries are not good, and can be "career" enders. Dislocating an area makes the area easier to dislocate again. Whenever you dislocate something like a knee, you risk other more serious injury like miniscus (sp?) or ACL tears. You will not be happy if this happends, as your knee will never work right again.

So, thank the stars that you didn't do something worse, and consider this your opportunity to make sure that it doesn't happened again. Do what you can to ensure that you stay healthy and injury free!

Good luck...

Paul

13. Tarot

Tarot New Member

Thanks Paul! I've been in physical therapy working on all that you mentioned for the month that I've been out and am still currently going. I have a few more weeks still to go yet in regards to that. I'm just happy I now have the offical word to be back in training. It's nice to be able to bow on to the mat instead of having to sit on the side lines. :D

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yeah, watching all that activity makes a person want to get up and swing a stick themselves!

I'm glad to know you're getting good physical therapy for this. I'm sure that it is indeed weaker now and more susceptible to related injuries in the future that you'll have to be careful. But exercise is part of taking care of it, so a little bit of training will surely be good!