Different branches of PTK

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by FMATalker, May 13, 2008.

1. FMATalker

FMATalker New Member

Hello everyone,

I got this from one of Grand Tuhon Gaje's posts:
    "Pekiti-Tirsia ladder of ascension to greater heights of Mastery brings the Mastery on TRI-V Formula, Capsula Methodica, Lima -Lima mayor and minor then to the top of Pekadum Trigo.In between , the application of Contra Tirsia Dubla Doz takes preference to confuse the enemy that makes all techniques furious, sharper and deadly."

Perhaps they are trade secrets, but what are the majority of these things, e.g., what is Lima-Lima mayor and minor, what is Pekadum Trigo? Are these different "technologies" and/or expressions of PTK? Are they just different overall strategies and how to apply techniques, or are the techniques sufficiently different?

For me, the only different "branches" of PTK that I'm familiar with are:
    1) Doce Methodos type training (I guess Old School PTK; e.g., seguidas, 64 attacks)
    2) Tri-V type training (New School PTK, for lack of a better term; e.g., Tri-V striking patterns)

Any help would be much appreciated! Please forgive me if these questions have already been answered in another thread.

2. selfcritical

selfcritical New Member

Same gross motor movments, different pedagogy and organization of material.

3. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

In the absence of disagreement with what you have just written, your statement begs the question of whether someone who had mastered the fundamentals taught under one pedagogy and organization of material is in any better or worse position than someone who had mastered the same fundamentals taught under another pedagogy and organization of material.

Best,

Steve

4. selfcritical

selfcritical New Member

Generally, my understanding is that newer interations of the curriculum are generally geared toward quicker acquisition, increased transparency(fewer "secret" techniques that are held back), and increased modularity(such that each segment of the curriculum is a self-contained set of skills for a fighting method). For example, it is my understanding that the Contradas and associated applications are taught Significantly earlier then in the standard curricula. Similarly, I believe the application of thrusts comes to prominence much earlier in the material as well. Mind you, this is primarily from short exposure to the material at our three-day camp.

5. selfcritical

selfcritical New Member

Here's a relevant post from an earlier thread by my instructor.

"As Jason stated, the Tri-V formula cannot be learned without training the related basics. The pieces of the puzzle just won't mean anything without that understanding. However, the TRi-V Formula is actually a condensed / accelerated lesson plan for the Pekiti Tirsia System. Grand Tuhon designed it in order to get people functional and fighting sooner. One example of this is how he is introducing the fundamentals of the contradas right away to new students. This material used to be reserved for later in a student's training.

Tuhon enjoys puns, double meanings and word play, so he has offered several meanings for the the term tri-v. One of which was the simple pleasure of recognizing that there are 3 V's in the shape of a triangle.

Anyway, there is obviously the very significant triangle reference. As you all know, and some of you have mentioned, the triangle serves as a template or guide for how we apply our footwork, our strikes, takedowns, targeting, etc. Sometimes the triangles are only referred to as a "V" or expressed as the forward triangle, reverse triangle, closed top or open top. Tri or 3 is a significant number in and of itself which also relates to how many strikes we use to engage, the phases of an attack as well as a host of other references. These are all parts of it as they are all parts of Pekiti Tirsia.

I believe in old faxes or emails that Tuhon sent to me in the late 90's, Tuhon originally referred to it as Tri-Vertical, but soon thereafter only referred to it as Tri-V Formula. As far as the lesson plan is concerned, the Tri V formula has 3 major domains which are summarized categories from the overall PTK system and so the name. Ultimately the formula is not just a collection of drills or techniques, it is also the training method and your ability to inquire, learn, understand and apply that knowledge.

Your best option to learn is always to study directly and often with Tuhon himself, then the real value of the training will be apparent. Otherwise, your local Pekiti Tirsia Kali instructor should be able to guide you.

I hope that helps.
    Best regards,"

6. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

The triangle foot work is nothing more than the first for gate/positions of the 9 gates footwork #1 moving to right forward, #4 is to the left forward, #3 is the lower right/moving backwards, and #4 is moving backward to the lower left. To the left horiz. is #5, and to the right side Horiz. is #6. It is the same as the strikes. Of course I speak of how I teach, and no I do not teach PTK but know about it thru much research.

7. Ron Kosakowski

Ron Kosakowski New Member

It seems to me that the tri-v formula startsd off with learning how to hit and with good form...starting off with no pattern right away. Then it goes into a very flowing no pattern of drilling methods to develop foot work and the reflex for couter-offensive movements.

It looks to me like PTK has been reformed with no form...no predetermined movements or kata as we know it as.

8. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

I have come to understand most of the styles/systems that come from Cebu and surrounding isles have almost the same striking patterns and footwork. PTK is one that seems to have been changed more than others like others with the 12 striking abecdario, the footwork is pretty much the same as others. Of course that is from my own research, I dont know what other people have learned by comparing systems/styles.