difference between serrada and pekiti tersia

Discussion in 'Serrada' started by iskrimuskrim, Jun 11, 2007.

1. iskrimuskrim

iskrimuskrim New Member

hello,

I'm new here and i'm glad theres a serrada forum...well I found this site because i wanted to know what are the differences between these two arts(serrada eskrima[inayan or cabales] and pekiti tersia)...I'v heard many great things about both arts. i'v done serrada eskrima in the past throught the cabales system but was curious if anybody has done both and can site the differences??? thanks :) Someone told me it was the footwork??

2. blindside

blindside student

I'll respond, I had all of 6 months of private instruction in Cabales Serrada (through an instructor under JC Cabiero) so my view of Serrada is somewhat limited, as I only made it through the first 3 techs for each of the lines of attack. I now do PTK, taught mostly through the Tri-V methodology. I'll compare and contrast what I learned in just the first 6 months just to make the comparison somewhat fair.

Weapon(s)
    Serrada addressed single stick, though its obviously a espada y daga form given what the C hand was doing at the end of each technique and the lines of attack. I was never instructed on the differences between blade application and baston application. Serrada used an 18-24 inch stick.

PTK addressed single knife/blade, double knife, single stick, double stick/blade, and unarmed, the focus was on single stick, single knife, and the translations from double knife to unarmed application. Difference between round and edged weapons were well described. PTK tend to use a 29+ inch stick.

General teachings
    Serrada felt very defensive, and though I learned angles of attack, I never learned when to attack. Offensive footwork was never addressed, attacking combinations were never addressed. In defensive techniques the slashing blows after the block were very short, circular movements, mostly through the wrist/arm, with a little bit of body behind it. Thrusts were very linear. Serradas range is generally corto, most transitions are largely done by the opponent closing. Serrada seems to take a centerline dominant role, passing the opponents weapons when necessary. All finishes taught in the basic are by the weapon, grappling and takedowns were not addressed.

In comparison attack combinations and attacking footwork were addressed on day 1 in my PTK training, long range jabbing followed shortly afterward. Slashing blows are whole body motions, hips torso, arm, wrist, power is a basic that is highly emphasized in early training. Thrusts are circular, outside to inside motions. Pekiti is mostly largo/corto, transitioning as rapidly through medium range as possible. This is generally accomplished by going outside on attacking lines, or passing from inside to outside. Many "techniques" are finished with close range thrusting, weapons based grappling, takedowns, and control/terminal techniques after the takedown.

I'll admit I'm biased, between the two systems I far prefer the structure and generally overall aggressive attitude of PTK. It felt functional to me after only a couple months of training, I don't think I ever got to that point in Serrada.

Lamont

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  3. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

Serrada a counter system

Serrada as I understood it is designed as a counter to counter system. It is defensive in nature but is vey effective as a counter to offensive attacks. So the offense begins as a defense which becomes the offense. Its main concern is to completely remove the hand/arm from the fight immediately. No hands no fight, ever see someone choking or punching with completely damaged hands?? Or even holding a weapon,could you fire a gun with broken fingers?? When we practice we go for the thumb knuckle of the stick hand,why??, because the thumb is so important to how a hand grips or holds objects. Mike Inay trained from GM Angel Cabales, then like many of his students went on to create their own hybrid style or variation of what they learned. You could just ask your teacher questions.

4. iskrimuskrim

iskrimuskrim New Member

thanks for replys so far

thanks for the reply's so far ...very informative...more reply's are welcome...its good to see the different ways of training....and as far as asking my teacher...i cant really do that anymore because he joined the military and i havent heard from him since...that was some time ago and i'm recently getting back into fma...found this site as a great way to expand and share our knowledge...so its been helpfull in understanding how serrada works functionaly and contrasting it with another style such as pekiti and how they work...so thanks for the info so far blindside and stix its much appreciated:)