Did any of you folks train in other arts? How did you find the FMAs?

Discussion in 'General' started by Carol, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Greetings everyone,

There is something that I'm curious about. What has your martial arts journey been like, and how have the FMA's been a part of it?

I found the FMAs after training in Kenpo for a little bit. I've really been fascinated to hear about how other MAists journeys have been. And since I strated my FMA training, I've not only met some good people...I've met good people with all kinds of backgrounds.

There are a few folks at our school whose entire background has been focused on Filipino and/or Indonesian arts. There are also students that have a background in a few different arts. A couple gents that I train with know Small Circle Jiu-Jitsu as well as Brazillian Ju-Jitsu, some other folks know Shaolin Kempo. A newer student training with me has a Uechi-Ryu school.

One fellow says he has a small group that meets at his house from time to time and he teaches them World War II hand-to-hand combat techniques! I hope I have a chance to sit in with them sometime...I'd love to see what that is about.

What about you all? What has your training been like?

2. Seidogirl

Seidogirl New Member

good question!

I'm so glad you asked this because I've been wondering about this myself. I haven't officially started FMA classes yet, but will be in less than a month. I've been taking Seido karate for about a year and I like it, but FMA just seems so comprehensive and effective. I'm not saying karate is not effective, but it does take years to be able to do much of anything and my impression of FMA is it is effective pretty much from day one.

I'm interested to see what others write.

3. Ron B

Ron B Junior Member

I trained in alot of martial arts which included jujitsu,military training I received in the army,boxing,TKD and some kickboxing.I have read abit about the FMA by reading black belt magazine like alot of other martial artists do but I got interested in learning FMA when one of my jujistsu instructors taught us some kali.basically just 12 strikes.I wanted to learn more as weapons training is a part of martial arts training in my opinion anyway.he did not want to teach that much more of it so I looked into training in the FMA elsewhere.I read in the paper a few months later that a guy near my area competed in a tournament where you would use padded weapons such as a staff,sword or sticks.he trained in modern arnis.a few months later I got ahold of him and I took private lessons off of him in modern arnis.at a seminar he hosted I met another guy who would become a training partner and we train and go to other seminars.I later turned my basement into a dojo and made up some padded sticks and some of my friends that I train with spar with padded weapons wearing hockey helmets and hockey gloves.we spar with rubber or aluminum knives wearing fencing masks.

4. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

My daughters got me started in FMAs (and they have no idea).

Started Taekwondo just over two years ago. About a year ago, I decided I wanted to try some other arts. Last spring a local school (Mr. Ryer's United Parkers Kenpo) was having a seminar on Kenpo and I believe on Pekiti-Tirsia. I was hoping to attend the Pekiti-Tirsia part of the seminar, when my wife was put on bedrest and then my daughters ended up being born 11 weeks premature. At that point all training stopped. After four weeks, my daughters were transferred from the Newborn ICU to a transitional infant care home located a couple of blocks from Mr. Ryer's school (I guess it is a small world). I knew Mr. Ryer was hosting a Doce Pares seminar and I made it my goal to return to training in time to attend that seminar. I made it to the August seminar.

Since then I have gone to an Inosanto preview seminar at a local school under Dan Inosanto and one day of the Dan Inosanto seminar were the afternoon session covered FMA material. This week I started the Introduction course at the local Inosanto school. Right now it will be in addition to my other training, but maybe some day it will replace it.

As far as other arts. My main art is Taekwondo, but when I can go to some early morning boxing classes. At the local Inosanto school, I am mainly interest in their Kali class, but i'm also curious about their JKD and Muay Thai classes.

5. animal_stylez

animal_stylez New Member

My background is mostly in TCMA (Hung Gar/Jow Gar) and a wee bit of Aikido. While I loved the flow of all those arts, FMA is a beautiful art in itself. I've been doing Kombatan for over a year now, and keep learning and learning and learning and...I plan to continue my TCMA training in Jow Ga, but right now the FMA is closer and I'm having a blast with it.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

I had trained in taekwondo for about 5 years. I'd read martial arts magazines from about day 1. Including various articles about Dan Inosanto and FMA. I remember one sequence where someone (Jeff Imada I think) attacks Guro Dan with a sword. Guro Dan, armed with an axe, hits Imada in the wrist and flows straight through to a backhand to Imada's knee. I was hooked after that. The simplicity and self-evidence of it won me over.

As luck would have it, a Doce Pares school opened up in my neighborhood. One of the first arnis schools in the state (Maryland) to my knowledge. I signed up and the rest is history.

That was 16 years ago. Since then, I've trained in various things. Boxing, JKD, Western fencing, kickboxing, etc. I've also worked with three different FMA groups, including that initial Doce Pares school (where I trained for about 6 years). I trained with an Inosanto Kali group in Maryland and more recently a Modern Arnis group in Northern Virginia.

Stuart

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I recently wayched Payback, in which he appears and briefly wields a balisong.

I started in Karate and studied Isshin-ryu then Goju-ryu then Uechi-ryu due to frequent moves for schooling; while studying Goju-ryu I also studied Iaido (which I really liked). I also dabbled in Judo and took some Aikido at various times. My high school buddy Tim Hartman kept showing me arnis, though, and eventually I got hooked!

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

I recently saw the ending of Hard to Kill again. Poor Jeff does sinawali with a broken pool cue until Seagal cracks him over the skull with another one.

Shame we never get to see Imada actually doing his thing.

Stuart

9. Silence_sucks

Silence_sucks New Member

My martial arts journey has only really begun though its a damn good place to start from, i have just over a year and a halfs worth of training in the junfan gung fu system and inosanto/lacoste kali system although my entire curriculum is composed of these plus penjak silat and muay thai which i have had lesser experience in. Its awesome though everything compliments each other making it easier than learn each individually and my class is part of the respective associations for each art so it is completely certified as opposed to some no name jkd school soon to be closed down to linda lee

10. The Game

The Game Pain

Curiosity, lurking for a long time on forums, eventually talked to some people and was invited to a couple of seminars. It looked like fun, looked effective and looked less "rigid" than the JMA I had been considering. I was invited on the floor, handed a sitck and been banging ever since.

11. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

Steven Seagal did the same thing to guro Dan Inosanto in one of his first movies (Above the Law???).

12. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

I started out in TKD, then found no TKD where I was stationed, then got introduced to FMA by a 15 year old filipino boy who did some amazing things. He actually impressed me into the FMA- and here I have been since 1970. I am constantly in amazement why anyone would choose TKD over FMA. But, hey, that's me.

13. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I started out in Karate because it was the only thing available in my area, but I always found FMA interesting. (Even before I knew it was FMA. I don't even remeber where I saw it when I was little except that maybe it was the Inosanto-Lee fight in Game of Death.) When I finally was able to train in FMA 7 years ago I was instantly in love with the practicallity of it and have been doing almost nothing but for the past four years now. (That and the karate instructor is a pompus *insert explative here* and we had a falling out over how he treated his "clients" as he called them, but that's a story best left to private conversation.)

14. Beungood

Beungood New Member

My first lesson in Pekiti-Tirsia Kali was in an outdoor setting. We were strictly outdoors for several years before my Guro started teaching at the battleground in East Greenwich Ri. We have a small private group that meets seperately also and this many times is outdoors. We have trained in high heat of the summer as well as in the snow and freezing cold. I laugh when I remember one time doing ranging drills and having a coat of ice over fleece and goretex Clothing. It was funny. We laughed alot as each hit broke off ice! people think we are nuts...

15. kotaro

kotaro New Member

When I was a kid, my mother was on a "You can't just stay home and watch TV" kick and made me try every sport she could find. I did tennis, basketball, soccer, you name it. She finally gave me the option to start a Karate class in June or a gymnastics class in August and asked me "Which one do you want to do first?" I chose the Karate class thinking I'll do that since it was first, get it over with and then just move on to the gymnastics class afterward. I never did start that gymastics class...

Anyway, I started in Wado Ryu in '80 and trained for about a year and a half until we moved from Germany to California (I was an Army brat) in '82. Continued my training with Tae Kwon Do but then the school switched to Tang Soo Do around '84 to more accurately reflect what we were practicing. That school then started Eskrima around '85 (the head instructor and 75% of the students were Filipinos) so that's how I was introduced to the FMA's. Got by shodan in '86 in TSD and kept up the dual training. Left the school (only physically...got married, kids, career, stuff) and taught privately and trained independently for several years. Got some exposure to Shorenji Kenpo, Muay Thai, Aikido and a slew of other FMAs at this time. In '95 moved to Florida and began training in Tiger/Crane kung fu and Qigong and did mostly seminar teaching and some privates. Now, I'm in Arizona, still teaching privately and going to Cali often to train with my "old school" and also occasionally fly my instructor here to train and give him well deserved mini-vacations.

16. jus_dann

jus_dann New Member

well, i started doing some boxing, kickboxing,wrestling,joint locks,and a small taste of ninjitsu. kinda grew up with a drill sargant(no really and he had 2 older sons). so i found myself wanted to learn some more in my 20`s. i found a closed door kungfu school. after you became a beginner, the instructor started teaching some silat and pekiti tirsia(but only as it fit into the kungfu systems) so i kinda started my FMA backwards. them as i parted from that instructor, i found myself hungry for the buffet line(as kungfu-learning was like picking crumbs and grinding them into you). then there i was, a middle of the road student, with some good training under my belt, looking for more. the Fma that i had learned was mostly empty hand and blade work. in other words, i was lacking the hours needed doing stick work. so thats where i started. then i felt like my skill level had exploded. its kinda hard for me to put it into words, but it was there that i was hooked for life. and here i am, sucked up any and all knowledge i could dealing with FMA. i feel very lucky that stumble onto the people i did. i learned so much, so quick. i was blown away. i truly felt like i was more.

anyway, thats how i got hooked,

dan

17. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

And just think Dan, you are just getting started think what is left to learn- he he

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Member

Out for Justice. It came after Hard to Kill (and the Jeff Imada pummelling). And at least Inosanto got to put up a proper fight. :)

19. nash

nash New Member

Actually, FMA started my martial arts journey. I started in FMA when my parents talked to an old friend from the church who taught martial arts. He taught us an ecclectic version of many of the martial arts he learned, a lot of it focused on the FMA. So I practiced with him for a few years when we moved out to New Jersey. While trying to find a school out there to attend, I found Sifu Dave Ferrera with what is now Evelutionary Martial Arts. He teaches afew styles himself, each of the week focusing on a different art. So I got into training with him and started to learn Muy Thai, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ and a new form of Escrima thatI had not heard of, Doce Pares. It was a lot of fun to be able to learn those other things, but I think that with a mixture of my FMA and BJJ I can fight with a weapon, empty hand, or on the ground and be a well rounded fighter.

20. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I started with wrestling and boxing way back in the late 1970's..my father also taught me what he had learned in the military. From there I went into the army and started to find guys who were martially inclined and worked out with them..no system perse just a bunch of knuckle heads having fun. I then got into Chinese Kenpo for a bit and from there I got interested in Goju Ryu which I studied for 8 years....I cross trained in Wing Chun heavily then and still now....I got introduced to the FMA in the early 90's and have been hooked ever since....I started with Pekititirsia and studied it for more than a decade with various instructors....I then went silat bound and studied a few different systems over the last 5 years...I am now deeply involved in BaHad Zu'Bu Mangtaas Baraw and represent Master Yuli Romo here in the USA....I am hoping to continue my training with Master Yuli & also delve deep into the Moro Silat systems as well as the South African blade systems

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007