Derobio in Georgia, Fernandina Beach Fl, Miami, New Mexico, San Diego & Hawaii.

Discussion in 'Pedoy's Derobio Escrima' started by Rapier, Jul 1, 2009.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

So the PDE Org. teaches "classical Derobio" while the "other" schools do not... Am I getting this right?

If so, what is classical Derobio? Because in the PDE website, it is said that GGM Pedoy after being granted the mastership of Derobio from Ablen, he traveled around the PI to learn other styles of Escrima... So I am guessing that what GGM Pedoy taught also had some elements of other styles of FMA that he learned which in turn was passed on to his students and family... Not just what Ablen taught him... Correct me I'm wrong...

Also, who started the art of Derobio itself? Was it Ablen? GGM Pedoy, the Pulahans of which Ablen belonged to?

2. Mchief

Mchief New Member

Gen. Ablen told GGM Pedoy to travel and experience life. He was told to learn the movements of other fighters so he could improve on Derobio. GGM Pedoy met many people in his travels. He shared his experiences with us. Stories of fights and friends he has made. In Derobio we use everything that works. Ala Contra. Sumbrada. Retirada and Avante. Dumog, Agaws, Etc. Derobio is a particular philosophy of movement. In Derobio we like to move outside. When it is time to do major damage we move inside. We do not know where Derobio came from. All we know is that it is here. Clasical Derobio is the foundation that everything we do is based on. Simple movements to the outside while evading a strike. GGM Pedoy during his travels met and fought man from different styles. He learned from each fight. This is why created his 144 locks and counter locks. All based on Derobio. Most of his fights ended up in clinches. If you have two experienced fighters that his where you end up. Who knows where Derobio came. There are no written records only the Word of GGM Pedoy. He build on what he learned from his travels as others do today. GGM met fighters who lived in wet, rainy mountinous regions that fought from low kneeling positions. Why? Because you will end up slipping on mud. He met others that chewed toxic leaves that have no effect on them but blinds there oponents. Every village had a style. a secret that would give them an edge in a fight. GGM Pedoy dipped his long thumbnail in a solution that turned his nail green. A scratch from his nail would numb you. Yes he learned and he learned his art well. Derobio is an eclectic art. GGM Pedoy used what works and discarded wha did'nt. The first, original Martial Artists. An Ape eons ago picks up a rock maybe a stick and bashes another ape in the head. We've been doing it ever since.
    You are not wrong. Derobio is a most Eclectic Art.

Peace

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

As with so many of the FMAs, we wish they had kept better records!

4. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

That reminds me of the JKD philosophy... But way before Bruce Lee's time...

5. Mchief

Mchief New Member

GGM realized the importance of using whatever works in sefl defense. He used to tell us ," You learn boxing, wrestling and escrima, it make you a complete fighter".

6. Mchief

Mchief New Member

In Hawaii many Escrimadors did not even tell their own family about FMA. Oral traditions. past down to worthy studets was the norm. I guess that was one of the reasons GGM Pedoy decided to teach to the general public in 1961. Many of his contempararies died without sharing their knowledge. He started teaching late in life.

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That still seems like good advice to me!