Derobio in Georgia, Fernandina Beach Fl, Miami, New Mexico, San Diego & Hawaii.

Discussion in 'Pedoy's Derobio Escrima' started by Rapier, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Rapier

Rapier RHC

2. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

It's amazing how many and how fast Derobio schools are sprouting up after Batikan Eduardo's passing.

3. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

Sounds awesome...

4. RHC Chaz

RHC Chaz Tuhon Chaz

Greg...all I need to say is know what you are talking about before you say anything or post...respect those who have come before you in this art whatever you may have heard about them and what has been told to you. These instructors have over 30 years of training and instruction.

5. RHC Chaz

RHC Chaz Tuhon Chaz

To comment on this ... these schools have been established long before my uncle's passing and long before GM Tyrone came back to the school. Read up on your history or talk to those who have been there and open yourself up to the world of FMA outside of what is fed to you.

6. The Phalanx

Well put Tuhon Chaz... I think that applies to all Martial Artists and not just FMA Artists...

7. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Well said..and I concur.

8. The Phalanx

A lot of MA students often take whatever that is fed to them as the only side of the story and often think that other sides of the story as BS... Not doing their own research and coming up with their own conclusions...

Becoming overly biased and have that "us vs. them" mentality...

9. RHC Chaz

RHC Chaz Tuhon Chaz

I completely agree and have found myself guilty of this as well and it has taken a lot of growing up and humility to look beyond such ignorance.

10. The Phalanx

I too am guilty of it at one time... But once I exposed myself to other things and learned different perspectives I opened my mind...

In Martial Arts we cannot afford to be ignorant... Sad to say, some are still stuck in that little bubble that they created for themselves... Maybe those people will burst out of that bubble and open their mind someday... But that is a personal choice that they must make...

11. Rapier

Rapier RHC

Thank you Tuhon Chaz, it’s always nice when the grandson of GGM Pedoy comes to the rescue. We all know that I am a first generation student of GGM Pedoy, and that me and your father were the first ones to open Derobio branches outside of Honolulu Hawaii. That’s history. We also know that when your Great GrandFather promoted us to full instructor so that no one could dispute who we were he had our certificates noterized all nice and legal. He was very wise. As are you my friend. We are but few, but united we stand strong. I will always be there for you guys as you were there for me today.
    Mahalo
    RHC Dan Medina

12. RHC Chaz

RHC Chaz Tuhon Chaz

I know Greg, and he's a good guy, I just want truths to be at the forefront of Derobio and no bickering or comments made outside of that. If there are any questions then people know where to find the answers. Yes, we are no longer part of the Pedoy's School of Escrima Organization but we will always be linked through the teachings of my great grandfather and brothers in the art of Derobio.

13. Rapier

Rapier RHC

Very well said Tuhon Chaz, I concur with you 100%. We are all linked together by your Great Grandfather, and his teachings. We should all strive to do our best not to bring dishonor or shame to what he has taught us. GGM Pedoy led by example he was very humble and followed the Escrimadors creed. I for one will not bring dishonor to my brothers in the art. I wish all members in the Pedoy / Derobio family live long and prosper. Like I said before we are few but together we are strong lets do all we can to help each other regardless of which branch we belong to.

14. The Phalanx

What is the difference between the Pedoy School Of Escrima Organization and other schools who teach Derobio who are not under the Pedoy School Of Escrima Org.?

15. HC B. Jordan

HC B. Jordan New Member

This is a very good question. I will try to keep my response as brief as possible... Many of the seniors in this art were long time students or family of the late GGM Pedoy. Everyone not only received something unique and special from the GGM, but likewise everyone has interpreted that information a little differently based on their own respective backgrounds and influences. Also many seniors in this art have progressed and developed upon that information in their own way, which, in my humble opinion, is good because it encourages growth.

In essence everyone received the same information from the same source but what has been done with it is different. Speaking for myself personally, I was blessed to learn from Master Dan Medina, not only Derobio but also Filipino KunTao, Sphinx Karate, and Arnis 63 Generals.

In my practice and evolution, I have built my own system of teachings into Mandala Mandirigma, which means "essence preserving practices of the warrior arts". This art is inspired by not only Derobio, but also an array of other complementary disciplines. The point is that each successive generation builds upon the preceding one.

As I understand it, the Pedoy School of Derobio Organization is just that, an organization and a school of Derobio. They preserve their classical interpretation of Derobio under the direction of their Grandmaster. Other schools teaching Derobio likewise preserve their respective interpretations; all of these schools are lumped together in the "other" category, but each is significantly different from one another. It's easy to see how these different systems/styles, all termed or described as Derobio, can cause some confusion on the matter.

When teaching my own students, I always make a point of clarifying what I refer to as "classical Derobio" and what is my own interpretation, so that there is less confusion and so that I always honor my seniors and teachers in this art. The difference, really, comes down to how each of us practices the art. Derobio informs our practice yet allows us to expand our appreciation of other disciplines without dishonoring the lineage.

Respectfully,

Professor Brandon Jordan

16. The Phalanx

Ah ok, that's a great summary of it...

17. Mchief

Mchief New Member

Pulahan Derobo iEskrima: Mission Statement to Students

You have now started on a path in your life that will lead to many new experiences. These experiences in turn will give you added knowledge of yourself, which will enable you to create more harmony in this chaotic world.

Vital to your growth is total understanding of all that takes place here at the school. You must continuously seek for answers to all your questions, and at the same time. reflect upon which you know, and formulate new questions. The fundamental key to your suucess for you path is your desire to know.

Study, Practice and expand on all the knowledge that has been given to you. Keep your mind clear and do not deviate from this knowledge, for the path you now tread is ancient and battle tested.

Remember, you hve chosen with your own freewill to be part of this school. Respect the Esrimadors who have come before you. Grow with your school, Escrima brothers and sisters, and most of all take the responsiblity for the path you are about to undertake.

Through the study of Derobio, you will succeed to become a better human being and a true warrior of Derobio Escrima.

Derobio Creed
    An Escrimador must have the WISDOM and DISCRETION to know when to use his art. When forced to use it he must show HUMANITY against aggressors who cannot defend against it and the HUMBLENESS not to boast about the power he holds. In doing so he will gain HARMONY both with his art and his life.

Every teacher brings a different flavor to the arts. We are bonded together by GGM Pedoy's philosophies and movements. My son Tuhon Chaz is breaking down Deroibo to its fine points. A new school of thought for the 21st. Century in Derobio. I am still old school. I teach the way I learned it some 35 plus years ago. Derobio is Derobio it cannot be altered only clarified. Anyone who has met or trained with GGM Pedoy are blessed. Those who have not but practice Derobio are also blessed. Be Happy we can practice an art that at one point almost disappeared.

PEACE!

18. Rapier

Rapier RHC

Grand Tuhon you speak with great wisdom your Grandfather would be proud, as am I. Im glad to call you Friend & Brother

19. RHC Chaz

RHC Chaz Tuhon Chaz

Just for clarity:
    Pedoy's School of Escrima is the origin of Derobio. Founded by GGM Braulio Pedoy in 1961 in which was succeeded by Batikan Eduardo Pedoy (his only bloodline heir) and later passed on to Grandmaster Tyrone Takahashi (grandson of GGM Pedoy). GM Tyrone holds the lineage of GGM Pedoy and heads the organization today as the Main Branch of the Pedoy's School of Escrima system. http://www.pedoysescrima.com

Pulahan-Derobio Eskrima is the collective progression of the Siangco family's vision of their teachings of Derobio and their cumlmination of martial art experience. Chris Siangco former Master Chief 6th Level Red instructor under Batikan and GM Ty, husband of Gail Takahashi (granddaughter of GGM Pedoy), along with his sons former 5th Level Red Regional High Chiefs Christian and Chaz headed the San Diego Branch of the Pedoy's School of Escrima from 1991 - 2008. In 2008, the Siangco family parted ways with GM Ty and Chaz Siangco now heads their PDE organization headquarted in San Diego with branches in Maui, Las Vegas and Northern California. http://www.pdeskrima.com

Majapai Derobio Escrima is the expression of Master Dan Medina and his influences of the Filipino Martial Arts throughout his lifetime. Master Dan first established his school in New Mexico in the 90's and later moved to Florida in which he now teaches. http://www.medina-escrima.com

Mandala Mandirigma system founded by Professor Brandon Jordan, a long time student under Master Dan Medina. Here Brandon teaches his expression of Derobio along with his vast knowledge of the spiritual arts.
    http://http://www.brandon-jordan.com

Ola'a-Nalo Eskrima founded by Master Ron Englund in 2005. After GGM Pedoy passed away in 1992, Ron operated the Honolulu Branch of the Pedoy School of Escrima from 1994-2004. In 1995 he was awarded a certificate of appreciation for “outstanding performance in operating the McCully Branch of the Pedoy School of Escrima.” This was a special presentation from then ranked Master Eduardo Pedoy. In 2004 he was awarded a Sr. Masters Certificate Red Level 6 by Batikan Eduardo Pedoy.
    http://www.olaa-naloeskrima.com

These systems all have their roots from GGM Pedoy and have moved on from the Pedoy's School of Escrima to continue their perpetuation of GGM Pedoy's legacy with their own vision. Whether their parting ways was that of politics or other, our main goal is to see that GGM Pedoy's teachings continue on and never fade away. Many systems have come and gone, many masters have died and have taken their arts with them. Our collective motivation is to see that Derobio never finds this fate. These are the main systems teaching Derobio today.

20. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Right on! Although not a "student" per se, I have attended some classes by Master Ron and am glad someone clarified his history with Derobio. He is a very cool, humble and intriguing guy.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009