Dekiti Tirsia Siradas Progression

Discussion in 'Dekiti Tirsia Siradas' started by NubreedKaliSilat, May 19, 2008.

1. NubreedKaliSilat

NubreedKaliSilat New Member

Dekiti-Tirsia-Siradas Progression

Dekiti-Tirsia-Siradas (DTS) is a weapon based system that makes use of the single and double sticks, single, double dagger.The Talibong and Ginunting swords, staff (sibat), and empty hands. Since weapons are considered an extention of the hand empty hand fighting is viewed as the major component, while weapons as the minor.

Because of the importance of learning self defense in a short period of time weapons are taught first in combat. Upon entering the system, students are taught how to strike along the art's twelve striking angles with the single stick. Students are taught about the different energies of striking which are fluid and broken strikes.

Once the various angles are learned with the fluid and broken energy. The DTS triangling footwork is introduced along with the 12 striking angles. The foot work is unique in DTS because it gets you moving very quickly in a very short time, using the drilling methods found within the triangles, you learn forward stepping, side stepping, body shifting, and pivoting from inside to outside, and left to right of opponent's attacks. In addition, proper body mechanics must be learned and applied while stepping, pivoting, and striking for sufficient powerful counter strikes as follow ups.

Seeking to reach zones of safety, from an on coming attack is one of the first principles of DTS. When a sword is used during advanced training it is in the interest of the student to get out of the way of the attack first, while countering the weapon at the sametime and proceed with a follow up strike. There is no standing in front of a opponent and blocking attacks unlike some other arts. Repositioning, pivoting and movement are the major aspects of DTS footwork. In DTS footwork is the key to effectively applying this art!

The student is next introduced to counters for each striking angle, each angle carries 12 counter disarms at each angle, adding up to 144 techniques in the basic abcedario or letters of attack. The progression next moves to punta y punta strikes (tip of the stick), Punyo y Punyo (butt of the stick), Reverse grip (stick hand in ice pick grip) Hooking with the punyo, Bayonent (two handed grip on the stick) each moving along the same 12 angles of attack, with 12 counter's per angle for a 144 techniques each.

Most of the basic counter techniques are inter-changeable with only a minor adjustment for the opponent's use of the weapon while attacking. DTS is a very close quarter art, and it is taught first. Then medium range to long range. Thus, after the angles have been learned, and the footwork integrated with the counters and disrams.

Students are then paired off and learn various counter for counter drills, counter, recounter the counter drills. Disarming and counter disarming drills etc. Then interemediate level students repeat the training progression with the use of the single dagger, and the Ginunting sword which is the traditional sword used in DTS.

After these three fundamental weapon categories have be learned and perfected, students can move on to double sticks, double daggers, double sword, staff or empty handed. But at the Guro (instructor's) discretion. There is a numerous amount of training drills within DTS, nearly as many as there is techniques. Every weapon and empty hand technique is mostly trained in some kind of training drill.

Therefore, students spend alot of time paired up and practicing three count drills consisting of attack, counter and recounter and then repeating on the other side taking turns. These attack, counter and recounter drilling methods have been found to be one of the essential elements at developing the attributes necessary, for weapons training. The timing, distancing, and footwork which are needed for all types of weapons are paired against one another to develop various physical skills of weapons fighting.

The drilling generally follows the progression of the 12 angles of attack and weapon progressions. DTS is first and foremost a fighting art and therefore is taught and practiced with a reacting partner. However, after the techniques are learned and the finer points understood. They may be performed and trained in a solo forms for individual practice. But developing true skill in the art requires actual practice with an alive, moving, reacting, partner. Which is the primary objective of DTS.
    A combative course in DTS contains or emphasises and efficient use of time, energy and technique. Basic training begins with the dagger and the tactics and principles of it's use.

Individuals in a DTS combative course are taught dagger vs. dagger, followed by dagger vs empty hands, empty hands vs. dagger, and then stick vs.stick, stick vs. dagger, dagger vs. stick, Stick vs empty hands, empty hands vs. stick. This progression covers all the basics of a possible situation of armed and unarmed attacks.

DTS fighting strategies; the first primary strategy is to move off line of any given attack angle at all costs, which is achieved throught all the various footwork listed, along with pivoting, body angling and shifting. The Second is; never go against the force of any attack. But go with the force or flow of the attacking energy, of the opponent's weapon. Third; directly striking an opponent's attacking limb from the beginning of the attack, with what ever weapon you are using, stick, dagger, empty hand etc. The point once injured and off balance a clean effective counter blow will more then likely end the situation and finish the opponent. With out a hand to hold the weapon there will be no fighting only a finish.

DTS Advanced Contra-Tirsia- Siradas, is the top echelon of all the methods within the DTS. After progressively studing the system and reaching the levels of the contradas, recontras, recontradas. Which are broken down as; compact and multiple aggressive attacks combine to anticipate any strikes with vertical, diagonal, or lateral attacks. Contra; means to counter within the perimeters of quartering in a distance. If the attack enters into the quartering zone, a volley of multiple attacks will be delivered with unmercial blows of timing, power and speed, which are directed into the sectionaled zone, as an example of: a vertical standing triangle in front of you, used as a shield. This small divided area may be expanded to greater triangles of loading zones of the opponent.

I hope that I have shied some light into the Dekiti-Tirsia-Siradas Kali System for you so that you may understand the effectiveness of this combative and deadly system of Filipino Martial arts of:
    Grand Tuhon Jerson Nene Tortal.

Taken from Filipino Fighting Arts: Theory and Practice by Mark Wiley

Nubreed

2. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Wow, that really brings back some memories reading your post Ben. The book binder stares me in the face every day and I sometimes forget about the details that are printed in it. I thank that I will open it back up tonight after work and pactice. It has not been opened in at least five years.

God Bless, Mike

3. Tunnel_Rat

Tunnel_Rat New Member

Hi everyone

Your statements about attack-counter-recouter reminded me of a great training method I learned with Tuhon Nene last year. He never told me the name of it, but I just called it "the elemental drill".
    Basically its learning the attach counter recounter drills, but we broke every element we could think about down individually. By that I mean we would A-c-r but only with footwork, then after about a month and a half we started adding elements one at a time into the drill and working with each of them individually.
    Elements like changing levels, posting the arms or legs, switching the weapon to the other hand in the middle of a disarm, tapping, shoving, actually dropping the weapon before its disarmed (not something you would do, but if the other person drops the weapon and your so focused on a disarm that you continue to do a useless technique, it helps to break that habit), distraction strikes to foul up your opponents disarm.....all individually, and then the last couple weeks we threw them all in together.
    Since we had broken them all down individually, and I learned how to do them all nice and clean, when we did them all at once and I did a technique that I didnt know how I did....chances are that it was done right. We all know how much fun it is to do a technique and say "how did I just do that" or "what did I just do", but this drill helped to insure that when we pull something like that out of our hats, that it will work for real, because you know it's done clean.

Some other elements I remember off the top of my head are:
    vs 1 weapon or multi weapons...and change them up
    changing levels, you, your opponent, or both randomly
    faking
    Ambidextrous disarms
    attacker drops weapon and you learn to be ready to grab it
    Attacker drops weapon and steps on it to keep you from it....it teaches not to be soooo focused on the weapon that you miss an opportunity
    strong arming....basically trying to keep your arm on the same line as the first attack to add power to the counter
    Static attacking before commiting to a strike so your not always going for a disarm on the first strike..
    ......things like that.
    Have fun!

Karl