Dealing with Spammers and other trash.

Discussion in 'Admin Announcements' started by Bob Hubbard, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

When a spammer scumbag pops in, please hit the red triangle thing to report it to us. All the admins and mods get a copy of the reports and one of us can usually swing in and nail the bastard.

Poke em with a stick all you want while you're waiting, but let us know theres trash to take out first. ;)

Oh, and never go to their sites. They tend to be loaded with spyware, browser hijacks, and other electronic nasties that'll cause all sorts of headaches.

Thanks
    Bob

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, the reports cause us to be e-mailed so even if we're not on the site we can get back and deal with the problem!

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

3. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

so let me get this straight..we shouldn't track their IP..and then subsequently seek them out randomly and decapitate them?...Just need to be clear on the rules here..don't wanna get black flagged.....LOL

4. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

For legal reasons, I can't say you should do that, or that you should invite us to join you either. ;)

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

My son's Trinity University computer was infested with a virus tonight that tried to sell him a fake virus cleaner with messages that wouldn't go away while at the same time hacking his Facebook account and trying to send a link to itself to all of his contacts. His thoughts were along the lines of yours!

6. pguinto

pguinto New Member

your son needs to acquaint himself with free antivirus, antispyware, and firewall apps
    - free antivirus/antispyware is available at free.avg.com
    - free firewall available at www.zonealarm.com

and btw for the app to have been able to hack his facebook, he needed to click something, which is a major no-no. being informed on preventative measures is the best weapon in these cases. i havent had a virus or malware bork any of my systems for at least 6-7 years now

Recommended reading:
    - protect_your_pc_from_guys_like_this
    - ultimate_malware_removal_guide_purge_your_pc_junk_files

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009