Dbma

Discussion in 'Dog Brothers Martial Arts' started by JPR, Oct 18, 2005.

1. JPR

JPR New Member

Just curious how many of us use any Dog Brother's material with what ever other A/E/K system?

Also, any DBMA focused people on the forum?

Jerry

2. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

The DBMA approach to stickfighting in terms of limited armor and fencing mask is what greatly influenced me. However, I do not emphasize the empty-hand aspects because it can work against the development of weapon skills. The inability to demonstrate proficient weapon skills is profoundly demonstrated in a host of stickfighting venues when E-H is allowed.

What sets DBMA apart from other FMA methods is the fact that they pioneered the blending of MMA elements such as BJJ with stickfighting as well as exposed the functionality and/or necessity of stickgrappling within stickfighting. With respect to material, I do not find the bulk of it unique to DBMA because they were drawn from other systems primarily Inosanto Blend, Pekiti Tirsia, Lameco Eskrima and Kali Ilustrisimo.

It is one’s approach, training methodologies and pressure testing that will keep them in the forefront. And it certainly seems to be some of the driving factors for DBMA evolving.

John G. Jacobo
    www.swacom.com

3. Kalisong

Kalisong New Member

Well said JohnJ, It's one of the many ways to test skills to your weaknesses and strengths. also a good point that it is a "duel" between two players well aware of each other's gear and rules of the game. (It's poor form to punyo the neck and spine) and acknowledging good strikes to the head would make things a bit different in real life. It's an extreme impact game and one hell of an adrenalin rush. because it is mpact and not edged then it allows for the realities of "stickgrappling" to be explored. I am a big fan of Top Dog Eric Knaus because he is able to show exemplary use of skills ( footwork, clean strikes) and not just an all out game of bashing and grappling - which also is quite effective but it's great to see art in motion.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've never had a chance to do it, but I try to learn lessons from their experiments.

I associate them with the technique of roof-blocking while charging in to grapple. I have heard it said that they do not always acknowledge shots to the hand that might have been disabling with a hardwood stick--I don't know if that's so or not. People disagree about how disabling a hand/forearm shot truly is in actuality.

The comment on dueling makes me wonder if the skills translate well to empty-hand self-defense situations.

5. Marvin Diem

Marvin Diem New Member

The Dog Brothers greatly influnced my impact weapon training.

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

What have you changed, then?

7. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

I have only watched their videios and find that they play hard but have not tried out what they do in the way they do it

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

I have a lot of respect for what the Dog Brothers are doing, they are testing themselves to the limit which in turn can only improve them as individuals.

We have a similar group over here in the UK called the Black Eagle Society (we just had a meet last Sunday which was fun), where we differ I think is in the fact that we do not add other arts in to what we do, we play with FMA. Occasionally our fights go to ground, but not that often and when they do the head gear comes off which makes for some interesting playing.

There are many FMA groups out there that have been doing this form of fighting for a long time now, but where the Dogs have the edge I feel is in their promotion of their style of fighting, but it is all good as far as I am concerned. Well done and Whoof! to all of them.

Best regards

Pat

9. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

For what its worth, some of the guy fight with gloves i.e. lineman gloves that offer very little protection and have taken some decent hand shots. Some gloves only offer a better grip. I think it only proves that the "will" to fight \ endure \ take punishment can be stronger than we realize.

Robert

10. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

Yeah, the only real protection you have is the fencing mask... And those really don't offer much protection either... They come off easily and don't offer any protection on the back of the head...

We fight with padded sticks for sparring but they're more like sticks padded with tape... The padding, if you call that padding is basically just thin insulation... So you will get big bruises and welts and still feel the stick...

The Gatherings on the other hand is a whole different ball game...

11. Freeform

Freeform New Member

Having fought in a health number of Gatherings I find myself well placed to answer some oft the queries raised here.

There's a few points to think about here:

1) We fight with rattan sticks, not hardwood sticks. Seems a bit of a flippant response but in a Gathering we mostly tend to fight with rattan and that is where the focus of our training lies.

2) We wear pretty thin gloves. Yes, people may sometimes get away taking a shot to the hand that would have disabled them. In the past I have had my hand/fingers broken through the glove, on all bar one occasion this didn't stop me from finishing the 'duel'.

Self defence skills for sure. The mentality of a weapon being involved changes the structure of the fight from an EH bout, the fact that in a fight, even if you think your opponent is unarmed, you have to constantly monitor them to make sure they haven't managed to 'rearm' themselves or have a hidden weapon.

The time limit also adds to this, as if you have decided to try and 'put down' your partner (or he has decided to 'put down' you), this makes the fight more explosive and 'frantic' than any kickboxing/mma fight that I've been in.

Hope that helps,

Colin 'C-Point Dog' Stewart

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thanks for the inside info.! I have no direct experience of the DBMA approach.

13. Sisco T.

Sisco T. New Member

there's something guro marc calls the adrenal state that i think has alot to do with this opinion. when you're sparring hard or fighting there is a GOOD amount of pain you can take. when you're training you are usually pretty relaxed and that accidental(or maybe not accidental) shot on you radial bone hurts like a mother and you drop you stick, but when in a fight you will barely feel it. it may weaken your grip but didn't know until you hit something or someone and you stick flys out of your hand from a weakened grip. this also has to do with fingers, your thumbs, and getting hit on the hand itself. top dog routinely fought with only baseball batting gloves and even with no gloves. at one of the more recent gatherings a fellow also fought with no gloves a caught a nasty shot to his bare stick hand-yet he did lose his stick; what he did gain was a nice open wound. the hand game is quite prevalent at gatherings.

also the the size and diameter makes the rattan that most use at a gathering quite formidable.

14. Colin, I've got one important question....

City or Rovers ;)

15. Freeform

Freeform New Member

Small world! :)

16. Yes, a large part of my family is from Yate and I lived their until I was 10.

Thanks for the post btw. I am especially interested in your experience with hand shots as our system targets the hands a lot. You write that you finished the "duel" after breaking bones but did you immediately lose some mobility in the hand?

Anyway, it's sounds like you're getting some great experience (bone breaks aside!) and I wish you the best with your training.

Simon.

17. The Phalanx

Is it true that they don't allow Lacross gloves in Gatherings anymore?

18. Sisco T.

Sisco T. New Member

don't know howto edit my post, but when i mentioned the fellow @ a recent gathering who fought with no gloves i meant he did NOT lose his stick from a weapon on bare hand hit.

Francisco

19. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

At the Gathering I attended, they did not allow anything thicker than the Field Hockey gloves I use on Saturdays Phalanx. It's not that bad, just work on what Mike tells you to do, well all help you or whomever is going to a gathering get ready and then just go for it. Maybe well all get to go together, wouldn't that be a blast. You wont regret it, Sisco, Nick and all the others are good people. It will be a lot of fun.

20. The Phalanx

Ah ok... I got some Under armour gloves that are not as thick as my Lacrosse ones... As soon as the Holidays are over we can finally get back to training full-time... At least my Thai kicks are getting more powerful... lol

I gotta get a heavy bag and find room for it so I can kick on it everyday... Kicking in the air like what I'm doing now won't develop my shins... But at least my form is getting better...