Curious about a certain kick...

Discussion in 'Sikaran' started by Ron Kosakowski, May 30, 2008.

1. Ron Kosakowski

Ron Kosakowski New Member

Hi folks! I was reading Mark Whiley's book. I was popping around and stopped on the Sikaran area being I never saw this particular style before. I was reading that the biakid was one of the deceptive kicks in the style but it does not go into detail on exactly what that kick is. Can you guys give me an idea of what it is?

Thanx ahead of time!

2. Karl

Karl New Member

Ron, try here:

http://www.fmaforum.org/index.php?showtopic=2616&hl=biakid

regards
    Karl

3. Ron Kosakowski

I looked on youtube and I noticed it was what is called a spinning heel kick in Karate. (or at least that is what we used to call it) I started looking around deeper on youtube and I noticed some folks were rather "Karate" looking being a little rigid in their movement while others had a nice flow. Reading that article you posted here...does it have a Karate influence to it? It says it was here long before the Spanish were here. My guess is that it originally had a Chinese influence?

I ask all this because I do Kuntao...it is a style more from the southern area of the Philippines. It has Karate looking kicks but executed quite differently. You can see some of the kicks here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcwKu_UzwQk&feature=related I also do Pananjakman and Pangamut...which has different kicks but also has that Karate look yet still different if that makes sense to you.

Thanx ahead of time for answering my questions. I like Filipino martial arts and the way it flows. I know some people blend which is OK. Personally, I like what is offered without the blend. heheheh Which seems like an oxymoron in my statement considering the Philippines is a melting pot. But I am sure you understand what I mean!

4. geezer

geezer Member

I don't know. I think I know what you mean, but as you say, "pure" FMAs are an oxymoron. But there are good, old time-tested blends that have evolved over centuries integrating Phillipine, Indonesian, Malaysian, Chinese, Spanish and other influences into smoothly integrated systems. Then, at the other extreme, there's "karate with sticks" as sold by the McDojo on the corner. I tried to hit on this same idea on the "Do you practice a bastardized FMA?" thread. I noticed over in the JKD department you mention that you used to do more blending, but have chosen to simplify things more in recent years. I agree, a good art, "blended" or "pure" should simplify in favor of efficiency. I'm also curious about how you approach empty-handed work since you pointed out on another thread ("School size...") just how much it catches people's attention. So, I started a thread in the general section based on that idea too--Thanks. And, any elaboration you could give on this topic would be welcomed by me!

5. Ron Kosakowski

Back in the late 80's and early 90's, I used to do all the jeet tek and/or pak sao to trapping and limb destruction from FMMA's bland along with the kicks from Pananjakman. Later in the 90's, I seperated it. They seem to work well as their own intity. As for what I would do in a real fight...due to the fact that I teach the different areas, including Kuntao, I am sure reflex may bring out whatever falls into place at the time.

As for what I teach for FMA empty hands...I show the techniques, I show the functional drilling methods, then the random drilling methods...then they have to find it in some sort of live fighting controlled or otherwise. That is the way I teach bot, Kali or Kuntao empty hands methods of fighting. And a lot of it is done against a blade to highten awareness. though there are a lot of hand to hand and empty hand vs multi man attack fight drilling methods. Like this video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcwKu_UzwQk&feature=related you will see some technique taught (there are workshops mostly so I can only teach just so much) but you will also see live blade and they are going random at various angles flowing from one move to another. You will also see lock flowing with resistance. Lock flow techniques are fine and dandy but without a resisting partner, how will you know if it works in a worse case scenario? By the way, that is Kuntao Dumpag video...I don't have anything out on Kali as of yet.

I hope that explains at least how I do it. It is the way I learned the style(s) so I teach them that way. It is up tot the student to take the steps to get that far or else they know a bunch of techniques they will have to depend on memory when the time comes to use them!

6. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

Ron
    the biakid is simply a spinning wheel kick. If you have ever seen a TKD person do one that’s what it looks like.
    As far as where it came from , who really knows, just don't believe all the hype put out about Geronimo developing it and teaching it to the Koreans.
    This kick has most likely been around in many systems for many, many years.
    Also do not believe all that Mark Whiley writes. He takes what he was told and prints it as gospel but dose not really look into if it is legend, truth, make believe or personal hype.
    Read some of the Sikaran section on this forum to se differing thoughts on Sikaran.

7. Ron Kosakowski

Believe me, I do not take what Whiley says as gospel truth. I saw quite a few flaws in his writings...especially on the hisotry of Kuntao. Due to the fact that Kuntao is my background I understand some of the history. Which brings me to this...some of the kicking methods I saw in Sikaran look similar to the Kicking in Kuntao. I do not know if the angulation footwork taken is the same but I would assume that the origin would have been Chinese. Pure conjecture on my part due to Filipino history being so controversial. But Kuntao from my research was one of the first styles to arrive in the Philippines. My guess is maybe Sikaran is an off-shoot of Kuntao? Kinda like the way Karate is a modern day off-shoot of Jujutsu or the ancient fighting methods of the Samarai.

8. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

My 2 cents worth of thought on this is that Sikaran is a mixture of many different fighting styles. From any village or region the influence of what was done with the feet in fighting would have been influenced by those that the people where in contact with. As time went on and groups from one area mingled with groups from another and new techniques would have been adopted from each..

9. Leopard

Leopard New Member

Geezer,
    I can tell you the White Leopard Sikaran has a blend of Okinawan hands, Chinese hands and movement, Filipino foot techniques and movement. More than likely there is also a blend of other components in it also. It is based on the Lagarejos system of Sikaran but has expanded to include more weapons and ideas. They do say they are ever learning ever evolving.