crossbow for boar

Discussion in 'Marksmanship Arts' started by chiangmaiheadman, Feb 22, 2009.

1. chiangmaiheadman

chiangmaiheadman New Member

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced crossbow which is powerful enough to kill boar and can be ordered on internet? I have land in Thailand which is populated by boar and feral pigs, but as a foreigner I cannot legally use a firearm here. I have a crossbow made here, but it is only powerful enough for small game. Thank you.

2. equilibrium

equilibrium New Member

3. chiangmaiheadman

Equilibrium thanks for the info. It looks very helpful.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Are you really hunting boar by crossbow, then? What distance do you have to be to it to have a good chance of getting a kill? Is one bolt enough?

5. chiangmaiheadman

I am supposed to be hunting boar in April. My friend has alot of land and boar are a big problem as they are dangerous and also eat crops. I would rather have a rifle but foreigners cannot legally use firearms here but can use the crossbow but the homemade crossbow I have is not in my judgment powerful enough to hunt boar, which I have never done before either. Hopefully some Thais with muzzleloaders, also homemade, will be coming along for backup so hopefully between us all we will make out. Hilltribe people here have killed boar with crossbows but I am told this is usually not a one shot kill. They do regularly hunt boar here with muzzleloaders though.

6. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Crossbows are expensive. That is good crossbows are! Your best bet is to look around the web and compare prices. Do not necessarily settle for the cheapest as some times the manufacturing leave a lot to be desired. [​IMG] Personally I have Horton crossbows and have always been satisfied with their manufacturing! [​IMG] I would be skeptical of anything under that $250 range!

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Sounds like it'll be an interesting experience! I'll be curious to hear about the range and number of shots you needed. Be careful!

8. tellner

tellner New Member

Take a good crossbow.
    Scratch that.
    Take two good crossbows and a good strong spear.

Years back I did some research on wild boar injuries and came across a review article in the BMJ. It started with a quote from King Richard's Bestiary saying "The Boar is the fellest of beasts and will soonest kill a man."

Good King Dick was right.

The article went on to cite studies about the Melanesian boar. For those who got mano-a-mano with Bre'r Pig (I can quote this one from memory):

It went on to say that many, possibly most of those were Westerners who went hunting with single- or double-barrel shotguns. Locals carried at least two spears and used "dogs which were trained to bite the boar on the scrotum."

Take home message: Pigs are dangerous. They are cunning. They can take an awful lot of killing. Even firearms are no guarantee if one takes a personal homicidal interest in you. Unless you hit the brain-pan or break the shoulders first a hog can take an interest and act on it before it loses enough blood pressure to admit that it's dead. When it comes to close combat a pig is put together a lot better than you are. That's why there are boar spears and boar-hounds and why both of them are big and stout.

My in-laws know Filipinos who go hog hunting on the Big Island with nothing but dogs and machetes. They are ****ing nuts. They are very, very good at what they do. What I don't understand is how they manage to sneak up on the hogs. You'd think the harsh clanging of twenty pound solid brass balls would be a give-away.

9. chiangmaiheadman

Thanks everyone for the warnings, I will definitely pay attention to them. I also have heard many stories here from locals who have encountered boars. There used to be not only boar here but also tigers, bear and wild buffalo. many of these have been almost wiped out, sadly. There still are bear, but most tigers now are in protected national forests.

10. tellner

tellner New Member

"Welcome to the food chain, Balding Monkey!" :)

11. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

All good points Tellner! [​IMG]

12. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Down here in South Tejas we have wild boar that get up to 400 pounds and are mean as a whore in church.....when I go out after them I bring my 45/70 brush gun..guaranteed to drop them deader than a hammer.

There are some people who use American (Scott/Hynes Bread) Builldogs..they are highly skilled..and run in tandem..one hits the ear..the other hits the snout and they snap drag that big bastardo down...this of course is after he is run down by a pack of bey hounds who are nasty and persistant. Having seen what a big boar can do to a dog (ripping him from crotch to gullet)..I would say don't be a dang fool and go playing with nothing more than a spear or machete etc..bring your rifle and flat knock his butt down.

13. blindside

blindside student

My brother-in-law just got back from a Texas pig hunting trip, his reports were that it took multiple hits from a .458 Socom round to drop a pig, and they still lost several who ran too far onto neighboring properties to recover. Once he got back he invited me and my dad out for a trip for some "organic pork." :D I'm going, but the hell if I'd be taking a crossbow and a big pointy stick.