cros trainign which one should i take

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by scarphe, Jan 15, 2009.

1. scarphe

scarphe New Member

i know this has proabably been discussed but i could not finda simlar thread in reference to modern arnis. so here i go
    respectin the strenght adn weaknesses of the system, which of the 4 would be best fitted for the cross training, I know more than one would be preferable but i wil only be able to study one more.
    more less all four have quailites instructrs so they are relatively equal
    american kenpo
    bjj
    goju ryu
    muay thai

thanks

2. bentit

bentit New Member

goju ryu is a good fighting art. Keep in mind that all traditional Karate teaches Jujutsu in it through grapples, locks, and takedowns. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu focuses on the ground work. The only down side of goju ryu is footwork. It is a rooted art so your footwork is not like muay thai or tkd.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I added BJJ and JKD to my Modern Arnis and am glad to have done so. The BJJ complements the art very well!

4. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Agreed. I am studying a ground combatives/grappling system in addition to my Modern Arnis training and am finding it to be very worthwhile and a worthy addition to my training regimen.

5. kruzada

kruzada Punong Guro

IMO None of the above would be a good compliment to Modern Arnis.

Traditional Japanese Jujutsu or Hapkido would be more compatible than BJJ.

Penjak Silat would also be more compatible than Goju Ryu.

Muay Thai is not compatible with Modern Arnis.

Hope this helps.

-Rich Acosta

6. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Modern Arnis also has little in the way of a ground curriculum which leaves an obvious gap in the ranges of combat in which one is proficient. I agree that Silat would seem to fit better than Goju but see no reason at all why BJJ or another grappling art would not be compatible and also see no reason why elements of Muay Thai would not fit in well.

But that is just me...

7. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

I disagree, I think they all can fit.

There are a number of similarities between Modern Arnis and American Kenpo, particularly the Parker line. I first learned about Arnis from a Kenpo teacher and was amazed at how well the two blended.

There is a fellow on Martial Talk that trains in Modern Arnis and BJJ, he thinks they fit together well.

The conditioning you will get from Muay Thai will benefit any additional art that you choose to do.

(Can't comment on Goju-Ryu personally, I never tried it and don't know the system well enough to say anything other than what has been said.)

Also think a lot about where your own interests really are. If you sign up for (say) Goju because you really like the art, that's great. But if you sign up for Goju you think they are the closest fit, but your heart really wants to be doing (say) BJJ, you won't be doing yourself any favors, and you may even make training harder on your classmates because you're not training in what you really want to do.

Its your journey in the arts, and your time and money going towards it...be sure to pick something that you are enthused about doing, rather than something that may seem best based on mathematics or mechanics.

Good luck and have fun!

8. kruzada

kruzada Punong Guro

I agree that Kenpo can work well with Modern Arnis. I must have read through the post too quickly.

As for the rest, ofcourse everyone is entitled to express their opinion.

-Rich

9. AZEskrimador

AZEskrimador In All You Do... Be You!

I'm not a real scholar when it comes to "Modern Arni's", so I can only speak from what I've seen in general.
    Wing Chun can be a good transitioning art (re: distance) to help BJJ flow more seamlessly with some of the FMAs.
    However, in the end, each person must judge for themselves.

10. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

I never thought about that. Guros Mike and May Williams teach Wing Chun and I've seen their students just flow with it between it, their Kali, and their Silat. Makes sense that it would do well with transitioning to BJJ as well.

Although a flow like that is tough to describe with words, seeing it in action can be amazing.

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

When I studied Wing Chun it certainly meshed well with my FMA!

12. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Out of the styles listed BJJ would be the easiest fit as both arts flow well. Muay Thai would develop fitness, endurance, and kicking ability, so it wouldn't be totally worthless either. Some of my peers in Senkotiros practice Goju, so it seems that it lends itself to FMA as well.

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I used to do Goju and it doesn't feel they'd mesh well but the Goju develops open-hand power and the FMAs improve mobility and speed so each would likely help the other!

14. kruzada

kruzada Punong Guro

Just wanted to add that your choice of an art to cross train in should also fit your goals as a martial artist.

If you are concentrating on the sports aspect of the martial arts and MMA competition. BJJ and Muay Thai would be good arts to cross train in obviously, but that doesn't mean that they work well with a Modern Arnis base.

If you are more concerned with reality based self defense, other arts might serve you better. BJJ and Muay Thai do not address multiple attack scenarios in their training. Silat would probably be the best choice in this case, or Aikijutsu and also Hapkido.

As for Goju Ryu, it is a great art by itself, but there are other arts that are more compatible with Modern Arnis.

For the record I have studied BJJ, Muay Thai, American Combat Karate, Traditional Jujutsu and Aikido. I have never studied Silat or Hapkido, but have been exposed to these arts through my students and friends.

-Rich Acosta

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  15. scarphe

scarphe New Member

thanks for the advise
    silat is not avaible in my area, i already travel about 3 hours in total just for the arnis lessons, so i am looking for soemthing local that i could do during the week.
    the bjj seems great but it is only 2 times week and costs more than double, any of the others (i may seem cheap, but i am looking at minimizing living costs at this moment in my life)
    so right now i am in betwen the goju and muay thai.
    Goju seems to be a complete art compared to muay thai but it is only a 1 hour class 3 tiems a week.
    but to be honest the conditioning that the muay thai makes it seem decnt as well. plus it is gym, so yes one has has the one class 5 times a week but one can stay and train for another 2 hour if one desired.
    still doing soem final research and hisiting the both another time to mak emy final decision.

16. kruzada

kruzada Punong Guro

No problem.

Wing Chun would be preferable if it is available in your area.

But if only BJJ, Muay Thai and Goju are available, your best bet would be Muay Thai IMO.

17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Have you decided?

18. Neaky

Neaky New Member

It may be to late to pipe into this Thread but since most of the joint locking in Modern arnis is based closely off of Small circle ju-jitsu I believe that a Japanese style of of Jitz would be better(if available) that being said, any style flows well into modern arnis with proper evaluation, this is why i fell in love with the style. But as said before keep your prime objective in mind (Combat, Sport, Demo)

Everything is the same
    Randy King