Contradas?

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by Danny T, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Danny T

Danny T New Member

Lets get a bit of conversation going.

Contradas; What are they and what are they for?

I learned them as 3 sets of 12 "techinques" or actions applied against an opponent or multiply opponent's strikes. Yet I believe there is much more to be gained or understood within the contradas. I don't particular like the term technique when applied to the contradas because I feel it tends to limit the practitioner to a particular action. I feel the contradas show a lot of movement and positions yet imply far more. So what do you feel they are for?

Danny Terrell

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

This is yet another term that seems to mean different things in different styles! Can we get a more detailed description of how the term is used in Pekiti-Tirsia?

3. Danny T

Danny T New Member

In Pekiti Contradas is a system or method of training counters. In the beginning and intermediate training the training drills incorportate weapon to weapon contact or where the tactical applications are offense vs. offense and then counter-offense. Contradas enables direct counter-offense to the opponent without blade to blade or weapon to weapon contact. The entire Contradas system is structured with tactics where all entries and Tirsia, or quartering, is accomplished with minimum or no blade to blade or weapon to weapon contact.In the contradas the practitioner learns to go with the weapon or to pass the weapon and directly counterattack and is utilized in all weapon categories: and ranges.
    Solo
    Doble
    Espada y daga
    Daga
    De-mano

and ranges:
    Largo
    Medio
    Corto
    Pekiti-Pekiti (extreme close)

Danny

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thanks! It sounds a bit like some of the Sayoc Kali drills I have done at seminars.

5. JPR

JPR New Member

Contrada definition...

Danny,

The use of the term contrada I am familiar with, from Inosanto Blend, is thus. Roof block contrada: You strike an overhand vertical at my head, I roof block and return an overhead vertical to you which you roof block. That, of course, is a simple one but is this what you are meaning from a PTK definition?

Jerry

6. Danny T

Danny T New Member

Jerry,

How about I start a forehand diagonal down strike, you attempt to met my strike or hand,
    I perform a backhand diagonal to your hand. Following up with a live hand tap or trap and 2 vertical strikes (flywheels) or what we call doblete’. This would be the first Contrada from the first set.

Fake to draw the opponent and follow their movement attacking from behind their weapon movement. Timing and understanding of half beats, third beats, and qrt beats of timing becomes very important as well as footwork and body angling and range.
    Each additional contrada in the first set adds to or expounds with or against different angles of attack and counters utilizing all ranges. The subsequent sets add more counter-attacks against continued attacks by multiple opponents.

In the contrada as you described based upon the Pekiti contrada principle of following the attack, after performing a roof block or umbrella movement if my counter-attack were to be an overhead vertical it would be a fake to draw your movement followed by a horizontal attack to your head coming from behind or following your weapon movement.

Hope this helps

Danny

7. ikenpo

ikenpo New Member

Review of the Seminar in New Iberia, LA

Last Saturday & Sunday I attended the seminar held at PMATC and hosted by Danny Terrell in New Iberia, LA and I have to say that I had a great time. I would encourage anyone to attend any of his events based on the experience that I had. You will find him and his students friendly, skilled and willing to share with no pretense or ego. Mr. Terrell places a great deal of importance in making sure everyone is having a good time, and throughout the two days he came over and helped me on various areas of execution and timing, and asked my multiple times if I was enjoying myself.

The instructor was Tuhon Bill McGrath of Pekiti Tirsia International and the topic was the 3 sets of Contradas. Being my first seminar with Mr. McGrath I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect. I had seen him on video and I assumed that he would be much like the video, dry, informative and intense. Well, I was right about the informative and intense part, but he is far from being dry. I would have to say that over those 2 days I laughed more and learned more than I have in any seminar I’ve attended in the last 20 years. Mr. McGrath’s delivery was down to earth and while he was showing the information on Mr. Terrell if did something off the program and Tuhon had to improvise to get back to "what we were doing" he would let out a little giggle while he did any one of a million things, that said to me, "this man is doing what he loves".

He created mini drills within the techniques he taught to develop our skill sets so we could get various aspects of the motion. So in one instance we would work a drill that dealt with footwork, then one for timing, then one for motion depending on where we would get stuck at. In some instances we would have us start with a drill to familiarize use with a concept and then he would introduce the Contrada. A drill might come out of a Knife level 3 set or a movement in a Recontra, which gave us further insight into the system. In some instances he'd create a drill in a drill to bring us along.

In the 3rd set of the Contradas we were taught the Siguidas to accommodate the countering motion that was built into that set.

During the two days we were exposed to the walking stick set, shown some of the Pekiti staff and how everyday objects (like a shoe string) could be used to buy you time in an altercation. There were so many nuances discussed and explored in the Contradas that we probably could have spent a year on just that block of information. Along with keeping the material light and fun, and displaying a phenomenal level of skill, the other thing that really impressed me with Tuhon McGrath was his focus on safety. Goggles were mandatory; certain moves were done on certain people and not on others based on age and potential impact and he would warn us to be careful on certain moves so we didn't injure each other.

Additionally, I was able to view a couple of people testing to have blocks of information signed off in their “blue books”. This was both informative and inspiring.

I look forward to making the same trip next year and bringing a couple of friends.

Respectfully, Jason Bugg
    Houston American Kenpo Training Platform