Conditioning/workouts/training tips

Discussion in 'Dog Brothers Martial Arts' started by Crafty Dog, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Started Bikram Yoga (the one done in a room over 100 degrees) yesterday and did my second class today. Seems like a good training for December. :)

Squats tomorrow!

2. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

I have been doing the Bikram 3x a week and like it A LOT. There seems to be tremendous synergy between it and my other workouts. Even my own stretching routine is giving me more results :)

The squat cycle has progressed to where the weight now challenges me. Wednesday was 5x235. I am not trying to impress anyone with this number! Indeed, quite the contrary, I am admitting how very ordinary I am! Next week I will shoot for 5x245 and 10 pounds more each week until I peak out. Usually this is at 255, but I have been trying some new things since I last hit 255 and dream of doing better than that.

My squat cycle in the spring was unsuccessful because the combination of my heavy rucking program and heavy lifting wound up irking my right hip joint to the point where I dropped the squats and deadlifts so I could stay on track with the rucking.

This afternoon is my open mat jits roll over at Rigan Machado's mat. I have a deranged tendon lock idea from guard that I want to see if I can get heh heh heh.

The Adventure continues!

3. PeteNerd

PeteNerd Member

How are you programming your squats? How many times are you squatting per week?

Pete

4. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

My squat program is so easy even a dog can do it :)

When I begin a cycle, I begin at 3 sets of 10x135 (I'm leaving out the tedious details such as set with bar, set of Roman DLs at 95, etc.) The next week again I do 3 sets of 10x135 and 1 set of 5x155. Following week I build up to 1 set of 5x175; then over the following weeks I increase 10 pounds each week until I cease progressing for two weeks. I do this every 7-9 days and in between I make sure to have a day that really pushes the legs athletically.

For example, I might go to the football field and do 100 yard dashes and a quarter mile or two with some basic football agility drills or I might go to "the Dune" (a monstere sand dune in Manhattan Beach) where I do bear crawls up and sprints down and on the last set down I do frog jumps (i.e. plyometrics with big air time and a soft landing).

That's it.

Last time I did the cycle (excluding the cycle I tried in the spring that was interrupted by injury) was about 2 years ago. I hit 5x255; I hope to beat that this time. I choose 5 reps instead of 1-2 reps because I think it lessens the risks of injury.

5. PeteNerd

PeteNerd Member

Sounds like a good plan. Why not make some 5lb jumps as you approach your previous max? I'm sure a little more volume wouldn't hurt in that range. I did a linear progression on squats for awhile, and currently i'm adding weight every workout and just repping it out. If i make more than 5 reps I add weight the next time. When i have to reset i'll take 10% off and do it again.

Pete

6. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Sounds like roughly the same thing. In my case if I don't hit 5 reps, then I do the same weight the following week(s?) until I do. Then I move up again. That said, if my progress has tapered off this much then by my criteria it is probably time or near time for me to move on to the next thing e.g. leap stalls and related pliometrics.

7. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Sometimes I do my squats at a gym where the weights are in pounds, and sometimes I do it at a gym where my weights are in kilos, but the bar is the usual 45 pounds. This yields some weird numbers :). In the last three weeks my numbers were 5x221, 5x235, and 5x253. This is a faster rate of ascension in the weights than my formula calls for e.g. increase only 7 or let ego chatter drive me to go for an 18 pound jump-- ego won out and I barely made the 5x253 this week. So I think this coming week I will stay at 253 and make sure I nail it with confidence before moving up again.

8. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

I did Romanian Dead Lifts (which I do with a slight bend in the knee instead of straight legged) instead of squats this week to tune up the hips and hamstrings as well as some single and double legged hamstring curls for peak contraction of the hamstring. Felt like a very good workout (power on the heavy bag was stronger than in many years!) and I was really pysched for this coming week to move up in squats-- which would be territory not seen in many, many years. So what happened? I was carrying a table down the stairs for my wife (awkward size and weight) and slipped and wrenched my ankle. I am not sure yet what this will mean for my squatting or my Bikram for that matter (it has lots of one legged postures). I am not scheduled to squat until Thursday or Friday, so we shall see.

The Adventure continues , , ,

9. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Back to back weekends of seminars (three days in both cases) has shot my training routine all to hell. Took my eleven year old son for 30 minutes of mostly walk but some jog on the beach this afternoon. Good for the calves! Tomorrow a full day of privates with some federal LEOs.

TAC!

10. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Friday afternoon roll over at Rigan Machado's. Lowest belt there was a purple. They go easy on me now, and mostly my satisfactions come from being as difficult as I can to make tap.

Had a slick new move I picked up from a Stefan Kesting clip of Eric Paulson; got it one time!

Tomorrow some work on the DBMA military program.

TAC!

11. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Been continuing to do the Bikram Yoga and an off-shoot thereof that also is in the heated room. The synergy of this work with my other stuff has been outstanding.

12. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

We were riffing on the DBMA Assn forum about what the best single exercise was. Many of the guys liked the burpee, but that was only until I nominated , , , drum roll please , , , sex.

*Stimulates testosterone production
    *Hips and glutes-- range of motion, coordination, and strength
    *other muscles depend on which position(s) used
    *aerobic
    *anaerobic
    *reduces blood pressure
    *promotes restful sleep
    *highly motivating

13. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I would have to argue that sex is not a single exercise, but rather an awesome exercising regime ;-)

14. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Sharing an idea here for that rather awesome exercising regime. ;-) Get one of those big exercise balls (a.k.a. a "Swiss Ball"). Place your woman on it bottoms up. :)o==8 Not only is her back supported this way, but the ball will reciprocate your motion on the front of her pubic area. She will probably feel best with her hands on the floor. Research which size ball she likes best.

15. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe New Member

Started to read this thread because I was curious about that land nav. course, then got interested in your legwork routines as I prepare to fight in my first open Gathering next month, and finally after 4 pages of posts found the Holy Grail of Martial knowledge- the Swiss ball "Dog" style (pun intended) sex move. Thank you sir! Now I just need to go down to the garage to get that pilates ball and my Crafty Dog 31" stick. LOL

16. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Well, as we like to say at DBMA "Smuggling Concepts across the Frontiers of Style!" :)

17. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

After a hiatus due to extenally imposed barriers, I have returned to my beloved Sand Dune in Manhattan Beach, this time with my son (12 years old) in tow. Currently we are going 2x a week. As always, the work is intense-- the Dune brings TRUTH! The battle cry for my son is to "Unleash the Beast!" in his BJJ. In just 3 weeks the results are impressive. He now brings it longer and harder and is more willing to explode e.g. escape from mount. Also, he now kicks my ass going up the Dune! Where did THAT come from?!? His glee makes it all profoundly worthwhile.

18. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Woof All:

To be honest, I go through phases where I don't consistently live up to it, but I hold the idea that, particularly as we get older, it is a good idea to have an all out anaerobic explosion on a regular basis. As Guro Inosanto said to me one time "It is good to know where you are at."

There are various ways this can be done. IMHO one of the best is the all out sprint. For me, this means the one hundred yard dash (one hundred meters for most of the world) and the quarter mile. I know what my time is when I come back to it after I have been away from this for a while, and I know where I usually top out after working at it once a week for 4-6 weeks.
    I've been travelling a lot lately, but I also recently (about two months ago) had an x-ray done of my hips. The ongoing pain had just gotten to be too much and I finally overcame my aversion to the idea of the radiation and had the x-ray done. While I certainly did not like what I saw and what I learned, it also has changed my training quite a bit in certain respects.

So it was with particular interest that I did my 100 yard dash yesterday for the first time in about three months. I confess to being greatly tickled that I shaved something like .7 seconds off my best time of recent years.

The Adventure continues!
    CD

19. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

I had a double adductor tear in my left leg in early June and so had to lay off my sprints for several months while I restrengthened and aligned my legs. I started up again about a month ago. I was pleased at how little I had lost and today I am pleased to have gone where I have not been for a long time-- 15:18. The time is quite ordinary-- I know this!-- but with my injuries (in particular I am thinking of my snapped ACL, PCL, and LCL ligaments in my left knee) and their sundry effects on my body and my age, I am pleased to be improving from where I was.

20. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

[h=5]Feeling very tickled with myself. I just beat my best time ever for my Bluff Cover routine by 90 seconds!

Here is video of my first time ever doing the routine at Bluff Cove.

http://dogbrothers.com/?p=537

As can be seen, it is a REALLY nice spot. My routine is down and up four times. Today I broke 35 minutes.[/h]