Conditioning/workouts/training tips

Discussion in 'Dog Brothers Martial Arts' started by Crafty Dog, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Boo Dog is one of the best of our current fighters. His grappling, kicking, and MMA skills are of a very high level too. ((He regularly can hit people in a DB Stickfight with a backhand-spinning heel hook kick combo btw). He spars regular with UFC fighter Manny Gamburian.

As you would expect, he is very athletically fit and recently I have started his push up routine.

It is very simple. Throughout the day, do many moderate rep sets. Thus if one does ten sets of 10 during the day, that was a 100 rep day. Do ten more the next day. The idea is to do it six days a week, increasing in reps every day. Over not too long one should be doing some fairly impressive numbers e.g. in four months one should be doing over 1,000 PUs per day.

Boo likes during the bottom half of the motion in order to focus on the chest. He currently is north of 1,400 reps a day.

OTOH I am well below that :) though in defense of my ego I hasten to add that I prefer full reps.

2. bmcoomes

bmcoomes Manaois' Systems

Can I ask what the value of those massive numbers of push-ups is?
    After some time doing that you’re going to overspecialize and get diminished returns. I’d guess it would happen very rapidly with the amount of stress you’d put on your self with those numbers. The fitness and skill carry over of the basic push-up is very limited in the field of martial arts in my opinion.

3. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Obviously, the point here is in the method, not the particular exercise per se. The same approach could be used with squats, situps, pullups, whatever...

4. bmcoomes

bmcoomes Manaois' Systems

I understand the method it's the grease-the-groove also known as Neural Endurance (if I remember correctly). My point is why people are after these huge numbers when they really don't get you any were but injured. Now I'm all for conditioning I think it's a large missing part of most martial arts training but conditioning and fitness is specific to the activity.

5. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

I had a relatively long response to this yesterday, but see now I must have screwed up somehow in posting it-- and don't have it in me to redo it :)

So, the short version is I really like the results so far and will move on to something else (e.g. something I call "Tai Chi weight lifting") when I feel the rate of progress diminish.

Changing subjects, I am getting ready for a 5 day tracking course will be be on very hilly terrain. We will return to a base camp every evening, but will be carrying 45 pounds for 4-12 miles each day. With two weeks of conditioning (I have 9 weeks to go) on Monday I did 4.48 miles with 50 lbs at a rate of 3.22 MPH and an average pulse of 100.

The wisdom shared with me about acclimating to footwear early has begun to sink in.

I think I have pretty good arches, but I am feeling a little bit achy in them so I may be getting some arch supports today for tomorrow.

The plan had been to go 3X a week, but now I think to go every 3d day instead with other aerobic work on the other days (I'm thinking to focus on peak heart rate today with rows to balance out all my PUs).

My upper back now feels comfortable enough with the weight to begin hills tomorrow. There's a really nice long incline down the side of a cliff overlooking the ocean about 10 minutes from here (a man could go further and do worse) so I figure to go up and down it for what feels like a suitable challenge for the day. Traction should be a bit of an issue, so I will get to begin exploring that aspect of the experience too.

TAC!

6. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

I had forgotten how beautiful Bluff Cove is. I just got back from my second workout there. Both days were competely unweighted in the Vibram barefooting shoes so the uneven dirt/gravel/rock path provided outstanding work for my feet, ankles, and calves. I think this will really help as I begin to focus on longer and further on weighted days. Next weighted day (tomorrow?) I will be trying out my new "Super Feet" arch supports. At $30 they ain't cheap, but I figure I am worth it.

The Adventure continues!

7. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Today:

6.16 miles with 40 pounds, Merrill hiking boots. Started with a 30 lb vest and a 10 lb headband (idea-- acclimate neck to wearing a helmet) and "Superfeet" arch supports. After one mile, the change in my feet's height in the boots due to the Superfeet Arches hinted at blisters, so I took them out and all was well. After two miles my neck had enough for a first day with the 10 lb headband, so I took it off and re-inserted 10 lbs of weight into the vest so as to maintain the 40 lbs.

Average speed 3.05 MPH

8. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

8.12 miles with 40 lbs at 3.25 MPH. First half was with ten of the pounds being a headband and for the second half I took off the headband and added ten pounds to the vest so as to stay at forty overall.

9. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

I've forgotten report on this for several weeks now.

Since then I've done

*9 miles with 40 pounds

*8.4 miles and 300 squats (10 every lap) with 40 pounds.

Then I got word that the tracking course for which I am preparing has been postponed until July (July in the AZ Sonoran Desert, oh joy!) which was a bit of a let down, so in conjunction with our DB Tribal Gathering of the Pack I took it relatively easy for about 10 days and started back in the groove on Wednesday with 50 pounds for a mere 3.12 miles. I could have done more, but I was just to fg bored going around the same .28 mile dirt loop. I need to find our trail up in Palos Verdes for variety! Today I will be going to Bluff Cove after teaching and doing my routine there with 50 pounds.

10. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

http://www.youtube.com/user/DBMAVIDS?feature=mhw4#p/a/u/0/pD7QO0m9hKc shows where I do my hilly rucking routine. (150 feet in .33 of a mile according to mapmyquest.com ) A man could go further and do worse! This clip is of my first day (3/1/10) and shows me doing it without any weight at all. Anyway, I think I am ready to leave the flat course rucking behind and focus on the hilly work. Yesterday I did 60 pounds for 3 miles (5 round trips). On non-rucking days I do my strength work-- currently focused on a return to heavier weights. (the weights are heavier for me, but the numbers are not impressive at all, I'm "just an old man having a good time") Monday was deadlifts and back (chins, t-bar bench rows. Today will be squats and chest/shoulders, along with rowing machine for cardio.

11. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Sorry to hear about the desert...but way to go sir! :) :)

12. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

13. Carol

Take it as a small "way to go." When you complete the mission, I'll give you a "way to go" that's much larger. :D :D

I like the idea of the NSW mile! Great ideas in the article. I've been looking for new ways to strengthen my stabilizing muscles myself.

The importance from a hiking standpoint -- we use the large muscles in our legs to climb up a hill/mountain. This is what provides the strength and power. However, it is the small stabilizing muscles that get used when climbing down the mountain.

Something that I've heard a lot from people that don't hike is "Going down is the easy part, right?" Its the dangerous part! Far more hikers are injured on the way down than they are on the way up. If you stumble going up the mountain, chances are you get your knees banged up a bit. You fall in to the slope, nothing an ice pack can't cure. Going down, a slip or fall has the potential to be a catastrophe because once you lose all stability, you cannot get it back unless something physically stops you.

I don't have winter gear, so my first hike of the season was up a smaller mountain with an auto road to the top. The climb up involved a good bit of sweating and cursing. The climb down surprised even me. By the time I got towards the bottom, my legs were literally shaking on the downward steps. I won't let that happen next year. ;)

14. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

a) Tuesday 6 days ago I did 6 miles with 45 pounds on my Bluff Cove routine. Tomorrow the plan is for 6.67 miles.

b) At the DBMA "Kali Tudo"(tm) Training Camp shoot for our KT-3 DVD Kenny Johnson brought out a beautiful set of wooden Indian Clubs. The metal ones that I had been exposed to previously had felt interesting, but not quite right somehow. OTOH these felt great, so I bought a set for myself. They arrived yesterday and so a new adventure begins.

15. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Utlimately I peaked on this routine at Bluff Cove in June with 50 pounds for 8 miles-- then the tracking course was cancelled because the instructor got a big military contract.

So last week, after several months off this routine I returned to it for 2.67 miles (i.e. four round trips) with my Vibram footwear and no weight. My feet, ankles, and calves love this. I regard the ability to run, job, and walk on uneven terrain to be a warrior skill.

PS: BTW, it was a beautiful 85 degrees today so I got to work on my suntan. :)

16. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Squat routine progressing steadily, as is the return to Bluff Cove; my time today for four round trips improved significantly while I kept the heart rate between 117 and 154-- nothing impressive, but pleased with the progress.

17. Carol

Excellent! I hope to hike my first 4000 footer in the next few days. I'm determined to get that in before my 42nd birthday which is coming up soon.

18. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

Spent the $15 to go to a special gym today (The Yard in Hermosa Beach) frequently the site of various pro athletes. One of my favorite gizmos there is the "powerplate", a device which vibrates in a special way and releases muscles, blah blah; it is excellent for performanc preparation.

So I did squats (workout 4 or 5 in my squat cyle) and accomplished today's mission (5x195) rather easily. Yes, the numbers are humble, but for me it works best to plug along steadily adding 10 pounds a week until the rate of return diminishes-- typically somewhere around 5x255. Then I am done and on to some other routine.

Also, for some strange reason I did incline bench today. I have no idea why I prefer incline to flat bench, but I do.

19. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

For several months now my hip joints (especially the right one) and my sacral joint have been really annoyed and my usual methods for putting things right have been working very slowly. One of the things I like about the Powerplate is that it allows me to release my quads in a way that for me other methods just don't get as well.

Lo and behold! My hip and sacral joints are feeling quite a lot better and it occurs to me that perhaps the underlying problem all along included my quads being really tight-- perhaps induced by the downhill portion of the rucking training I was doing.

20. Crafty Dog

Crafty Dog Active Member

My 11 year old son is closing the gap on me in the 100 yard dash. Yesterday he challenged me to a 1/4 mile , , , but I had to go to BJJ ;-) I think I will be working my quarter mile when he's not looking LOL.

Rolled BJJ for about an hour last night, most of it with a 20 year old purple whom I had the satisfaction of making sweat in between my taps. TAC!