con serrada

Discussion in 'Serrada' started by snake, Nov 24, 2009.

1. snake

snake New Member

went to a mark willey seminar last year.thinking it was angel cabalas serrada and it turned out too be intergrated serrada whatever that is and was a waste off money.has anyone else had a bad experience like this.

2. tsefreeflow

tsefreeflow New Member

Good Serrada is hard to find, but it can be found.
    Good Luck in your searches.

3. geezer

geezer Member

So true. You, for example Michael, are hard to locate. Are you still in the Phoenix area? Man it would be great if you could come to one of the bi-annual FMA gatherings in the Phoenix area. I've seen a lot of great guys demo there... including Mike Giron, Sam Buot, John Jocobo, Ted Rabino, Pete Vitelli, Mike Butz, Jeff LaTorre, Mike Casto, and host of others.... but no straight-up serrada players. PM me... please!

4. MichaelJB

MichaelJB New Member

I concur. I've had several people ask me, at every gathering we've had, to include other notable, local instructors. The two names that come up the most are Gerald Toki of Villabrille/Largusa Kali and Michael Coconis of Tacosa Serrada Eskrima. It would be absolutely great to have either one, or both, of them attend. I emailed Mr. Toki but never received a reply. I believe one of Mr. Jacobo's students knows him and also offered an invite. I messaged Mr. Coconis and received a reply stating that his schedule didn't allow for him to attend. So, I've not bothered to invite either of them since. I figured by now, since the gahering is a somewhat established event, if anyone local is interested in what we're doing, they'd either contact me or just show up. Anyone and everyone is welcome.

Michael

5. Hi Michael,

I just found the following information that could be helpful:

Gerald Toki School Of Kali
    7171 West Discovery Drive
    Glendale, AZ
    623-332-9367

I had the immense treasure of training with Master Lot Villabrille this year and I really enjoyed his system. It is sure to be different from that which evolved in Hawaii through his Uncle but I would love to see it on video to compare.

Best of luck with gatherings,

Simon.

6. MichaelJB

MichaelJB New Member

Hey Simon,

Thanks for the info. Actually I already had access to it and to a couple of his students as well. I've had to deal with the fact that some are more reclusive than others and as such may not be interested in any gathering - which I can understand since I didn't do much publicly for close to 20 years.

Michael

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

What is Integrated Serrada? With whom is it associated?

8. MichaelJB

MichaelJB New Member

I had read (here: http://www.alanorr.com/htdocs/articles/markwileyarticle.html) that Integrated Eskrima is Mark Wiley's creation. Referring back to the OP, I can understand why he was disappointed in not seeing much Serrada since the system is based on Kali Illustrisimo with a mixture of other styles.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  9. snake

snake New Member

intergrated eskrima

mark willey tried pass intergrated serrada as angel cabalas serrada.there was thirty people there and they where all saying it was not the best seminar they have been too.if the seminar had been advertised as integrated.then people would off had a choice whether to go or not

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That's too bad. Mark Wiley must be fascinating to listen to with all the stories he knows but I don't know how his physical attributes are.

11. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

Probably why they were disappointed was that they were expecting Cabales Serrada which has its own unique techniques that GGM Cabales used personally in 'real' matches !! So it seem integration of styles was not what that seminar group was expecting. Serrada also uses a shorter 'stick'/blade then most folks and Serrada eskrima is 'blade' oriented first taught with a stick !!

12. Charlie

Charlie New Member

All I know is Mark Willey has gotten into some other FMA's maybe he started incorperating some of the other ones into Serrada. This has become more popular lately to mix in new things to try and make the style better, and in there opinion it might be and it might work better for them. It is hard to find old school serrada I know that GM Vincent Cabales, Carlito, Ron Saturno, Jimmy Tacosa, Dentoy Revillar Still runs a group, Darren Tibon, and Stanley Wells is still active I dont know about the rest and what they are doing. I think I herd Wade Williams is still active and I have met most of these guys who are good people and still do most clasical serrada.