Comment and Feedback on New Layout?

Discussion in 'Admin Announcements' started by arnisador, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

I'm holding off on installing the 4.02 upgrade until I can test it. I'm not thrilled with the problem reports I'm seeing on the vB site. I've tentatively scheduled this for the 27th, and if all goes well should only be about an hour of downtime total.

2. Just an observation...

Datu Tim has a incredibly interesting life and it's great to see him out and about sharing his wealth of FMA Knowledge with the public.

However, IMHO the twitter posts that are being pulled up are having the same effect as the "Philippines News" bot from a few months back.

As of right now I can not see any new posts just the twitter ones to the right of the forum. I rely on that panel to see the new forum posts. The "number of new posts" to the top of the forum does absolutely nothing for me when I click it in Google Chrome.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Simon.

3. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I agree with Simon. The Twitter postings are distracting.. I look at the new topics and all I see is twitter/tweets, so I close the page and don't come back for a day or two..

4. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I have to agree with this. I actually just sent a message to a mod yesterday asking if there was something that could be done to block this. I appreciate Tim for managing this site, but I find myself staying away lately because I know I am going to see 15 posts about things which have nothing to do with FMA when I come on here. Its more than distracting in my view...

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Thank you all for stating your opinions we definitely appreciate it and will address it!

6. Bob Hubbard

There is always the option to post a lot more and drown them all out, but I agree they could be reigned in a bit.

7. Bob Hubbard

I edited the feed to post a maximum of 2 tweets per 4 hours.

8. Thanks admin for your quick response - a feature of this forum and the backbone is it's success I feel.

However, I wonder if the fix will do it as people aren't posting like they used to.

I usually check in a couple of times a day and since this skin went live a few months back my impression is that there are a lot less posts. You would have the stats to disprove this so I could be wrong.

I know there are tweaks users can do to the skin so we can get a better functionality out of the "New Posts" but how many people actually do things like this? Most will log in, see that side bar all clogged up with non FMA stuff and log out again.

I suppose we can all play a part to start new threads as we are a community. However, it might also be an idea for members of the admin team to also throw a few threads out there for discussion too. For my part I will go and have a ham sandwich and think of a good topic....

Simon.

9. qwertz

qwertz New Member

my guess is, that it won't do it. If I want to read the tweat, I can go to twitter. I do not see, what it has to do with this site -- beside that's the tweet of the owner of this site. But this does not qualify it to be posted here imho.

has anyone explained why it is seen as a valid contribution to this site?

10. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Bob and I are experimenting with the new software. This past weekend I was at the PIG in Chicago. The tweets where an attempt to see how practical it would be to give updates of how the weekend was going. I think if all the tweets where linked as posts on the same threads it could be beneficial. Obviously this was not the case. I will be meeting with Mr. Hubbard next and will be discussing our options. As new apps are available we'll be experimenting to see what is best for the site. Your input is all ways welcome.

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

We definitely appreciate the feedback! The new version of the software has had pluses and minuses. We're trying out the Twitter and Facebook integration and need to hear what's good and no so good. This version also has blogs and we haven't done much with that yet. We'd like to get more posts. The new version has not been as popular as hoped but unfortunately we need some of the "under the hood" improvements that came with it. Updates to it continue to come along and we will implement them!

Does anyone have something they'd like to see by way of Twitter or Facebook or blog or similar integration?

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

12. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Less of it? To cross post that stuff here, to me, it just looks like tweeters can't be bothered with the community to log on and report about what is going on.

Personally I would greatly prefer to see a detailed writeup at the end of the day, rather than yet another "I'm in X doing Y" soundbyte.

I apologize for my blunt nature. It is nothing personal, I am just not very good at being tactful.

13. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

I'm hoping that there will be a plug in so we can use a smart phone to post. Unfortunately I don't always have access to a computer. I tried logging in on my phones web browser. 10 minutes later I gave up. Like I said before, we'll be experimenting with new apps. Some people will like and others people won't.

14. Bob Hubbard

Merging all the tweets into 1 thread cleans up the clutter, but has to be done manually.

Concerning the "differences" in the software, the majority of functions work as they always have, though some have been moved around a bit. Any major update will do this and people will have to simply learn where new things are. Unless you're still running Windows 1.0, in which case how'd you even get on the net? ;)

I just got home from my uncles funeral, and will be taking a few more days 'off' to catch up and catch my breath. Next week I'll plan the next update and look to see what if any add-ons there are that will improve the site. Going back to the old software is not an option.

As to content, that's up to everyone to provide. I've tried posting stuff, set up feeds to bring in stuff, without success. So, I leave that up to y'all. I'll be manning the engines, y'all steer the ship.