Combative Customs Article: Solo Training for Combative skill: Precision-Power-Flow!

Discussion in 'General' started by Brian R. VanCise, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

2. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I can tell you that Bill does **** hot work on his blades.. In 2005, I sent him a design of my combat bowie for him to make a trainer with.. As I got off the plane from the isle of Gilligan and landed in chicago, I was presented with the final drone.. Needless to say, it feels and acts like my live blade with the same weight and such.

My bowie design came from my training in apache knife, western knife work and my filipino combatives training... It combines the western knife blade design with the handle design of the filipino blades (pistol grip) with a slightly elongated tang for my punyo hits and clearing as I am cutting the attack.

Bill's stuff is top notch and for someone who can take a design from a picture and make it with the exact characteristics of the live blade says a lot to his craftsmanship and his products

3. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

Bill was a astudent of mine for quite some time. Not many people like to feel the real thing and be the uke to appreciate what it is supposed to feel like. Bill was one of those people. He used to dive in both feet first into ideas, flows, and applications. Then- he would come up with his own version. Now that is a practitioner of FMA. Learn, apply, and adapt in short order. So, tho he makes a good product- he is a practitioner. That is what makes his product good, he knows what it is supposed to feel like.

4. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I liked the article, as it points to some very important things. Namely, for most people it is easiest to find all kinds of excuses for skipping the workout for the reason of not havinh anyone to train with, so here's an example of how it can be resolved. Also, it brings some variety into your daily training, thus making it more focused.

5. Matt Lamphere

Matt Lamphere New Member

Oh yeah .... Bill (A.K.A. "The Minister of Pointy Sharpness") is a tremendous craftsman and purveyor of very high caliber products.

Buy something from him ....

(This shameless plug of Bill's goods is brought to you by ... "The Minister of Propaganda", AKA ... ME ... )

-Matt

6. Brian R. VanCise

So what about the article on Solo Training for Combative Skill: Precision-Power-Flow?

Striking the tire stack, working with live blades, de-cuerdas pole, etc?

7. kuntawguro

The article was well written and it has good merits, what more do you want? Do I strike at tires - yup. Do I use vertical and angular training aids- yup. There are a number of good points and tips Bill describes. More people should look a little deeper into their training regimine.

8. Brian R. VanCise

Hey Buzz what types of methods do you personally use for live cutting? Bill describes brush cutting, rolled up newspaper's, etc.

Myself I use tatami cutting mats, rolled up newspaper's primarily with a few other oddities like live chicken, beef stuffed into old pants, etc. thrown in every now and then.

9. Brian R. VanCise

DefenseCraft featured on The Instinctive Edge!

Today featured on The Instinctive Edge is our very own FMATalk member Matt Lamphere and DefenseCraft!

Check it out:
    http://brianvancise.wordpress.com/

10. kuntawguro

I don't practice live blade like I used to. Mainly I used the woods behind my house attacking trees and small seedlings. The woods now are a field- he he.
    Really, I used to take my bolos into the woods and defended against low limbs, scrub brush , and small trees. You get good resistance from those.