Combat Judo

Discussion in 'Doce Pares' started by David F, Jul 5, 2007.

1. David F

David F New Member

Hi. Out of curiosity could anyone please explain combat judo and its history? I believe GM Momoy Canete demonstrated combat judo on the original BBC series 'Way of the Warrior' in the 1980s.

Who are the leading instructors of Combat Judo in Cebu now?

Thanks

David

2. salurian

salurian New Member

Think GM Mommoy didn´t showed Combat Judo in Way of the warrior. He showed his espada y daga skills in it.
    GM Inting Carin is talking about regarding the fight with the 3 brother and the 4 compaignons.
    May be GM Cacoy made it prominent in Cebu, but not sure about it.

3. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

"Combat Judo" as Momoy taught it refers to empty-hand techniques against committed attacks with the knife. It frequently involves a jarring parry to the opponent's wrist, followed by a lock or break of some kind. I'm not sure about the origins of the term but I do know that "combat" is a term applied to many martial arts in the Philippines (perhaps in a manner similar to how we have come to use the term "tactical" in the United States) and "Judo" has a cultural connotation that moves past the Japanese art to refer to locking and throwing in general adapted to Eskrima. I think that it is reasonable to assume that the term may have its roots in the Second World War era.

It's highly likely that Doce Pares has kept the core of these techniques (and probably expanded them) and of course Cacoy Canete ramped up the volume almost exponentially with "Eskrido" and other grappling forms.

With respect to San Miguel Eskrima, there are about a dozen or so basic Combat Judo techniques that I learned that can serve as a rubric for further study. Following are my notes for one of the techniques:

This is essentially a stop, trap, and lock technique - and most of the Combat Judo that I learned is similar. There is also a Combat Judo two-man form wherein both opponents practice techniques together.

If you're interested in learning "Combat Judo" in Cebu I don't think that it would be difficult to find classes at the Doce Pares schools there as well as at other schools that have their own versions of "Combat Judo." You might also contact Panto Flores, Momoy's grandson at: www.filmocan.com.

Best,

Steve Lamade

4. David F

David F New Member

THank you very much guys.

Steve much appreciate you taking the time to post the information on Combat Judo and sharing it with us.

I will definitely look into it the next time I visit the Philippines and travel to Cebu.

Regards

David

5. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

6. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Well from what I have been told and I amy be wrong as it was a long time ago I got told this. The term Combat Judo came about just after the 2nd World War when the American Servicemen seen the Filipino's showcasing their empty hand techniques against weapons, The GI's said is this Judo and obviously for ease of understanding and to avoid embarrasing the inqusitive GI's the answer came back as YES its Combat Judo.

Not top be confused with Japanese Judo Combat Judo is very Filipino and as with all things in FMA it was not that long ago most things did not have a name, it was us the inquiring westerners that asked for a lable on it, hence the term Combat Judo was coined.

Doce Pares and San Miguel do Combat Judo and I know of some Balintawak groups that also employ Combat Judo and I am pretty sure there will beother groups out there that also use the term Combat Judo, but it was the original Doce Pares Club that I am sure made the term Combat Judo popular and if you look at it San Miguel and Balintawak all came from the same roots.

Best regards

Pat

7. Dagadiablo

Dagadiablo New Member

Jiu Jitsu.

8. strunk76

strunk76 New Member

without trying to get too wordy, i think pat touched a lot on what needed to be said. combat judo is just a name that was given to the empty hand techniques. let me reemphasize that combat judo is just a name to a bunch of techniques that originally had no name. there is no japanese judo in authentic filipino combat judo. old style combat judo looks simple yet raw, ugly and not fancy. but then again, is the actual self-defense situation supposed to look fancy, flashy and elaborate?

this must be differentiated from modern styles of eskrima and the modernized forms of combat judo. proper execution of combat judo can be achieved by the practitioner, once a true understanding of eskrima has been developed. proper hand positioning and timing learned in eskrima basics. this goes beyond knowing the numerous forms, drills, sets, etc.. i'm referring to actual application in freestyle sparring and the like.

sample pics of cebuano instructors and authentic practitioners of combat judo [still living in cebu; true, original generation (1950's) students] within old style doce pares [san miguel] can be seen here: www.eskrimatology.com

just my two cents...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  9. Master Vince

Master Vince New Member

Australians Blitz at World Stickfighting Championships

I thought that I would just give you a bit of a run down for the results of the Australian Team that competed at the World Full Contact Stickfighting Championships that were held on the 6,7,8 and 9th of September, in the city of Jakarta, Indonesia.

The Australian Team consisted of many players from Adelaide who train at the International Combative Martial Arts Academy at the club in Welland, South Australia, and the players are the following-

Grand Master Vince Palumbo- coach/player
    Vlad Mihal
    John Moore
    Michael Harris
    Gary Smith
    Barry Jamieson
    Joseph Scali
    Andrea Wheatley
    Vickie Simos
    Melissa Lopresti

Other members of the team came from Craig Haywards club in Sydney!

The Australians really dominated the tournament in every division of the event, and the Aussie Team went on to win the most of the Gold medals in all of the tournament.

Every member of the team won either a Gold, Silver or the Bronze medal!

Master Vince Palumbo had an outstanding 20 fights in one day, and he went on to win an amazing 10 Gold medals, 2 Silver medals, and a Bronze medal. (He was named player of the tournament by Grand Master Canete!)

Other World Champions from the Australian Team were the following-
    John Moore
    Joseph Scali
    Andrea Wheatley
    Melissa Lopresti

The Australian Team literally won the hearts of all the initially very hostile and unwelcoming Indonesian crowd of spectators that all just booed the Australian Team when they first marched out into the big stadium with all of the other countries in the parade of players when the games first started, and this is when Coach/Player Master Vince Palumbo asked his team members to remain calm, and he told them all to just keep marching on, then he told the team not to worry because ,'They will all love us in a couple of days!', he said.

What he said was true, and in the second day of competition, everytime an Australian Team member won a fight, the whole team started to dance in the middle of the sports arena, and before we knew it, all of the crowd from Indonesia were dancing with us, and it was a great atmosphere, and everyone had fun, because we all put politics and religion aside, and just treated eachother with respect and warmth, says Palumbo.

On the closing ceremony of the games, Master Vince Palumbo was presented with a certificate of 'Grand Master 9th Degree Black Belt'
    status from the 88 year old Supreme Grand Master Ciriaco Canete who is the highest ranked martial artist in the world, and who is the only living 12th Degree Black belt on the planet.

This rank advancement makes Palumbo who has won 10 World Titles
    and nearly 100 bouts in the sport of Full Contact Stickfighting, so it also makes him one of the youngest legitimate 9th Degree Black Belt Grand Masters in the world now!

WELL DONE TO THE AUSTRALIAN STICKFIGHTING TEAM!