Close Node Sticks?

Discussion in 'General' started by jdc2003, Sep 24, 2007.

1. jdc2003

jdc2003 New Member

Can any one tell me how many years a node on a rattan stick represents? All I know is that the more nodes a stick has the older it is. I have also been told that the more nodes on a stick the better it is when it comes to durability. Any insight or info?

2. jus_dann

jus_dann New Member

i know kaboo rattan has more knodes that most but it doesnt mean its stronger, although knodes are like knots. i have a 26" X 5/8" kaboo baston that has 14 knodes

3. jus_dann

jus_dann New Member

i think skin thickness is just as important as knode count

4. JBrainard

JBrainard Arnis Yellow/Green belt

I don't know about nodes, but I've got a heavy rattan stick that has lasted five months and is still going strong. Based on that, I would bet that more weight makes for more durability.

5. jdc2003

jdc2003 New Member

How can you tell how thick the skin is? Are there different kinds of rattan? Where can I see a Kaboo Stick? What is condsidered a heavy stick? Sorry for all the questions but I would like to know as much as I can. Thanks

6. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

Jdc2003,

Brother, unfortunately I do not Know much about rattan(thickness & types etc.) But what i consider Kamagong a heavy stick , also called iron wood, ebony wood etc. It is more durable and will last longer than rattan. In where i practice we use Kamagong for sparring(with a instructor present).

If you search this forum you'll find more about this subject.
    ]
    But if you don't mind me asking, why the questions about rattan sticks?

Phil

7. jdc2003

jdc2003 New Member

I was just wondering because I have seen a number of different types of rattan being used by different practitioners. I have seen rattan with no skin, no knodes, many knodes, skinny, fat, long, short and even some with fancy designs. I was just wondering which ones are traditional and which ones are more durable. I have also seen the Kamagong which you speak of. There is another type of stick I believe it is called tiger wood. And there is another one called candle wood. Just curious that is all.

8. Phil Mar Nadela

Brother,

I see... I too was curious what stick is what when i started FMA. When i was young my father and his friend used Olisi wood, you can say this is traditional wood that they used back in Cebu where he was born. I dont know much about it but he tells me now that it was the heavier than kamagong. Never found out more about it but you might be interested thats why i mentioned it.
    But i guess at the end it depends on the style or instructor what rattan ones uses for training. And ultimately its your own choice, at least on my opinion.

With Respect,
    Phil

9. jdc2003

jdc2003 New Member

Thanks for the info! I plan on spending lots of time trying to figure out which type of stick is best for me.

10. geezer

geezer Member

Hey, this is a major topic! I wish some of you long-time players and guros would weigh in and share your wisdom. I know I'm still searching for the most durable sticks for the lowest price...especially since I've been working out with some hard-hitters who start splitting and fraying a typical stick in two or three hits. Lately I've been getting manau rattan with the skin on from the "Bamboo Rattan Works" in Lakewood N.J. and a lot of black vinyl tape from Home Depot. I've seen close-node labsica advertised on the web and it's supposed to be denser and stronger, but it's also way more expensive. Right now, I'm back to experimenting with different kinds of tape--rubberized cloth athletic tape, fiberglass reinforced strapping tape, duct-tape and you-name it. ...Advice, anyone?

11. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Olisi just means stick in Bisaya.

12. Phil Mar Nadela

?????

With respects, is there anymore information you got other than the translation?

13. Master Vince

Master Vince New Member

Close Node Sticks!

If you need this sticks, please contact Master Dennis Canete in Cebu, and ask him to locate them for you, and once you have wired him the money for the sticks and the courier fee to his account, he'll send them to you!

You can email him on dennis_canete@yahoo.com (No money, no order!)
    Please put an underscore in between dennis and canete!

Take care.

14. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Good quality Hockey tape is my fave :)

15. jus_dann

jus_dann New Member

just remember that rattan is a trainning material, although it can and will break bones. i wouldnt use other woods because they will shatter,rattan will just split. another point, weapons are for flesh contact. its one thing to deflect one weapon with another but weapon to weapon contact should be limited. "i`ll cut your sword off" LOL
    i`ve done things in the past such as: fire harden, salt treat, superglue inject, tape wrap,etc to prolong the use of rattan. if i could go back and do it again, i would buy a lot of damaged sticks to train with just for the price. and with the superglue thing, message me and i`ll give you the details. i have a pair of sticks that have been split for 2 years that i still use.
    there are like 1300 different kinds of rattan
    hopes this helps

16. jus_dann

jus_dann New Member

oh another thing, just for training
    often i use a piece of rebar with heatshrink on the handle
    and i strike a tire mounted on a wall
    good stuff

17. jdc2003

jdc2003 New Member

WOW! A lot of great info and insights. What do you all think about those synthetic sticks when compared to rattan? Also has anyone ever tried using candle wood? I was told that candle wood is damn near impossible to break. I believe that is what it is called but I can't find any info on it.

18. jus_dann

jus_dann New Member

its a good idea to use what your training partners use for heavy contact.
    for body contact and no weapon to weapon contact, it really doeant matter. but if you are looking to smell the burn, cheap rattan

19. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

I have been banging sticks since 1970. I have favorite sticks that I use for fighting and favorites for training. The best ones for training are 1 inch to 1 1/4 thick- i don't bother fire hardening them as they are expendable. I hit everything- tires, metal posts, trees etc. My good sets are for actual fighting. I wouldn't use kamagong for practice- it is too expensive and it is to pretty to bust up. I use 1/2 black pipe for arm and wrist training and I use pvc covered in 1/2 closed cell foam for smacking.
    I was told that manau rattan is the most durable and that is what my good sets are made of.

20. geezer

geezer Member

Thanks Buzz, I took your advice and ordered a bunch of 28 inch by 1 1/4 inch manau "poles" from Frank's Cane. They varied a lot, some being even thicker and having anywhere from 3 to 5 nodes per stick. I paid about $3.50 a stick including shipping. At that price I can afford to bust them up. But now all the people with the thin whippy sticks are giving me and my "monster-sticks" dirty looks. Oh well.