Classes for kids???

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by ericas mommy, Jan 21, 2008.

1. ericas mommy

ericas mommy New Member

happy new year all!!

was wondering if there were any places that offer classes for kids within the greater los angeles area...?? my daughter is 3.5 years old.

my husband and i are interested in her starting martial arts, but would prefer her to learn something from our culture if possible.

if anyone knows of any, i would appreciate any info!! we are in the burbank/glendale/pasadena area.

THANKS!!

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Welcome! Someone here will know the answer, but alas, I'm in Indiana!

3. excalibur

excalibur New Member

That's wonderful that you're thinking of your daughter to participate in the filipino martial arts. Anyway, at the age of 3.5 I think it too early. From my experience, I took my 2 boys into gymnastic first at the age of 4 where they learn physical coodination, balance, rolling and tumbling.
    I don't know if any of the filipino martial arts groups takes in such early age, unless its the masters daughter or son. However, there is a Doce Pares Filipino Martials in Los Angeles (don't where in LA) but it's headed by
    Master Erwin Mosqueda: emai: erwin mos@yahoo.com (323) 382-4927
    You can visit:www.docepares.net and find out more of about DOCE PARES

4. ericas mommy

ericas mommy New Member

thank you!!

i know it's a little early. my daughter's been in gymnastics (and ballet) for almost a year now. we're okay with starting her early even if she can't conceptualize all that well yet...IF there's actually something out there.

i did visit the doce pares site and they do offer something starting at age 4. the only thing about that group is that it's about half an hour away from me. =(

5. excalibur

excalibur New Member

Wow...your daughter will be a something special if she starts traing in martials at his age. Anyway, I am surprise that you haven't received a lot of referrals here. Filipino Martials Schools is more geared towards adult curriculum because of its style of fighting. Some filipino martial school doesn't take children until they are train in other martial arts school.
    However, I know someone else will probably give some sort of referrals and advice for your daughter. I hope you do find a school. Are you only interested in Filipino Martial Arts... With your duaghter's background in gymnastic, she's a perfect fit for WUSHU Kung Fu Chinese Martial Arts.
    Check out some forms in YOUTUBE...(search for WUSHU).

6. ericas mommy

ericas mommy New Member

no...we're not only interested in filipino martial arts. i just thought it would be neat if she could start and hopefully continue with something that comes from our heritage. =)

like if she were going to be skilled in a type of martial arts....wouldn't it be great if it meant something to her in terms of where she came from??!! maybe i'm just trying to live through her....

but i will definitely check out youtube for some wushu vids. thanks for the tip!!!

but also something to consider is what you mentioned about kids having training in other martial arts before starting with the filipino martial arts. if this is true....then we would definitely start her off where she needs to in order to be accepted later on. i hope someone can confirm this on here or at least give us some direction!!

7. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Whenever I had parents come to me and ask to teach their kids who were under the age of 6, I would refer them to a judo school.. From that aspect, they are more capable of learning how to handle their body in falls and just general lack of coordination as they grow up..

This is what I would suggest you look for as an alternative to the karate and FMA arts..

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, Judo is a great suggestion! Mr. Hartman does well with a kids' class but it's certainly got some differences from what the adults do.

9. Brock

Brock Asha'man

You could take classes too! I teach 4 year olds as well, but as Arnisador said about Mr. Hartman's classes, it's different from my older classes. I'm also all the way over in Pennsylvania, so it'd be a bit of a haul for you to come here:)

10. ericas mommy

ericas mommy New Member

thank you! i'll have to read up on judo then.....

11. Sabre

Sabre New Member

Hi -

Sadly I don't have any information to help as I moved out of your area many years ago. I would advise if at all possible for you to also train with your daughter. It provides a wonderful bonding experience and something special between mother and daughter as she grows older.

BTW - I grew up in Burbank. Are you, your husband or your family originally from there?

12. De Campo JDC-IO

De Campo JDC-IO Junior Member

13. pguinto

pguinto New Member

How about a Filipino dance class thats directly related to the FMAs?

Tinikling and Singkil are Indio (Spanish for native Filipino) dances, among others, that were practiced to hide the arts in plain sight after the Spanish outlawed the practice of FMAs.

Since your daughter is already in dance classes, she would blend right in nicely...

This is a great idea on how to get girls interested in dance and/or FMA. I know my 3.5 year old niece loves to sing and dance. She dances and sings along with commercials and watches High School Musical all the time. Luckily i dont have any more hair to pull out cuz HSM drives me nuts already.

Im actually gonna try to introduce her to the little bit of tinkiling i know. I think i can figure out teh rest from watching youtube clips. Thx for inspiring me to inspire you which inspired me in turn..... okay im confused now. I hope that made sense. LOL

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  14. tellner

tellner New Member

Judo really is just about perfect as a martial art for kids. It teaches balance and coordination. It teaches them how to fall safely. Lots of people never get in fights. Everyone falls down. There's a culture of teaching kids in Judo that's very well developed. It's wrestling, and young primates love to wrestle. And it's less likely to cause serious injuries when it's misused on the playground.

15. ericas mommy

ericas mommy New Member

thank you all! i guess i'll just have to table the idea of fma for my daughter for a couple of years.

i will definitely look into judo (i don't know the difference between all the different martial arts). however, you all seem to have some experience and expertise so i will definitely be taking all what you have suggested to heart. =)