Clarification on Bigay Tama please!

Discussion in 'Lightning Scientific Arnis' started by gagimilo, Nov 2, 2007.

1. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding the bigay tama drill, i.e. the method it is done. Namely, I have seen it done in several clips on the 'net, but could not figure out what exactly is going on. I like the drill as it seems much more alive than most other FMA drills out there, but I do not understand the way it is approached.
    In my view, the person with two sticks is usually a feeder and the otehr is trainee, but is there any sequence to whn the trainee is responding with block and when they are attacking, seems that the roles get bit blurry every once in a while...
    So, any explanation is welcome!

2. Ryno

Ryno New Member

You are correct in that the person with two sticks if generally the feeder, however you can also feed with single stick or stick and dagger.

When someone first starts on the defensive side, they receive a single attack, and it is their job to angle out/cambio, then to counter with a half strike. As things get more advanced, the feeder may throw several consecutive strikes which the defender must block before countering with a half strike. It is the defenders job to make sure that they block every strike in the flurry before countering with a half strike. It is the feeder's job to test the defender's defense, including strength of blocks, footwork, detection of angles, and timing. A good feeder will push just far enough that the defender is really working to keep up, but isn't completely overwhelmed.

It takes some time for the defender to develop the recognition skills necessary to detect and successfully defend against multiple strikes from the feeder. There are some general guidelines for where you retract your stick as a defender, depending on what angles the feeder is coming at you with.

It really is a great drill, and quickly points out errors in footwork, angling, and the integrity of your blocks.

3. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Thanks, that helps a lot. Just one thing, though, what do you mean under "half strike"?

4. Christian

Christian New Member

I guess he is talking about a retracted strike.

I only did Bigay tama once but it is really a great exercise.

Regards

Christian

5. Banakun

Banakun New Member

In the more advanced stages, notably the double-vs-double stick bigay-tama, roles may change mid-play as each player tries to get an upper hand by sneeking in a feed to steal the initiative from the other guy. So the feeding role ping-pongs back and forth. Eventually, the role change happens so fluidly in such a way wherein you'll have a hard time identifying the exact moment they switched roles.

I especially like bigay-tama coz you can go really hard and not scrimp on your power or speed when you play or feed someone who has been doing it for quite some time. It's exhilirating!

6. Ryno

Ryno New Member

Yep, retracted strike = half strike

7. chamber

chamber New Member

Bigay Tama

Just began doing bigay tama recently, and it is truly exhilirating. I didn't hold back on my strikes and imo this is good training in applying what you've learned in solo practice, specially with a feeder who escalates. i broke my first stick during the drill, the mind and body moving as one, and somehow mimics high stress situations when you just move while thinking or you don't think at all, mindlessness. as a beginner it was truly exhilirating and of course exhausting.

8. chikinini

chikinini New Member

I love bigay tama and palis-palis specially when the lights are off. You could see sparks coming from your sticks and the smell of burnt wood.

LSAI-LESKAS is the best!

9. Banakun

Banakun New Member

Hey chikinini! Did you train with MK?

10. chikinini

chikinini New Member

Yes sir used to train there at MK.