choose your weapon

Discussion in 'General' started by adelaide_stickfighter, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Im sure this has been a much debated topic in the past on FMA, so forgive me if I am brining up an over taked about topic but since I am relativley new here I am intrested in your opinion on double stick verses stick and dagger which would you choose and why.

Would love to read your opinion on this one.

2. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

Both have their pros and cons. Double stick are primarily impact weapons that can add to the range...but a knife can cut...but a stick can disarm the knife, but the other stick can counter but....

Ultimately, it comes down to what the practitioner is comfortable with, double weaponry of equal length or unequal length (what we Kabaroan call our compuesta subsystem).

3. Master Vince

Master Vince New Member

For a life and death situation on the street, give me a stick and dagger, but for a tournament scenario, i'll use double sticks, but I actually prefer the single stick!

4. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

5. tellner

tellner New Member

I can only quote the wisdom of Hugh Bollers, grandfather of my first Silat teacher:

Brandt took that advice to heart. Some time back when he did a command performance with a number of notable FMA/knifers. Long story. Lots of nasty politics. Anyhow, they said "Bring your favorite stick and fighting knife."

For the knife he brought a side-splitter he used to use in the slaughterhouse. For the stick he shaved down a pick handle and drilled to pairs of holes. He used the holes to staple down three yards of barbed wire he wrapped around one end.

For reasons I can only guess at nobody was eager to work with him. I think reality checks started getting returned for insufficient funds...

6. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I like that mentality right off the bat....when speaking of favorite sticks and blades..lol...I am an advocate of a nice thick piece of hickory tapered to a fire hardened point (does pipe count as a stick..lol)...as for blade..well I am fond of my old beat to hell Bowie my pop gave me...but even then I still prefer a good bang stick!

7. tellner

tellner New Member

You would, you sick SOB. Why I bet you liked the knife fight scene in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. :p:

Seriously you and Brandt would probably get along great.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  8. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

1-2-3 Go!..you betcha...lol.....

9. faststixs

faststixs New Member

How about the seen in Crockedile Dundee 2 when he says " Thas not a knife, this is a knife". Then agian a wise man once told me " You don't bring a knife to a gun fight"

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I love that scene from Crocodile Dundee!

11. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Quidproquo, never bring a gun to a knife fight!:)...Either way it is FUBAR....