Chicago Pacific Island gathering and tournament!

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by NAGA, Feb 20, 2010.

1. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello All,
    The Pacific Island Gathering and Tournament or P.I.G. for short is on for the weekend of August 14th and 15th. Saturday, is the seminar series and this year we already have Datu/Grandmaster Tim Hartman and Balintiwak Master Rich Parsons on the seminar list. We will also be adding some other events such as an Espada Daga division. It will be held at Midway Kodenkan 5159 S. Archer Ave. in Chicago. For more information you can go too www.Midwaykodenkan.com or PM me here on FMAtalk.

Thanks,
    John

2. billc

billc New Member

I was at the gathering last year and it was great. The seminar segment had a lot of talented FMA instructors and the actual tournament, which emphasized blade work more than stick work was well run and a lot of fun. The competition was lively and you learned a lot from actually engaging in a free form environment. If you can make it you will really get a lot out of it.

3. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Rich Parsons and Datu Tim Hartman are great at what they do so you have an excellent line up and I am sure the tournament will be as successful as always!

If you are going to be in the area for this seminar/tournament then definitely check it out!

4. New2FMA

New2FMA New Member

Mariah and I missed last year but we will be there this time.
    I will mark it down to be there!

5. Big John

Big John New Member

The plan is to be there for the seminar and tournament this year. Are you keeping a space open for me?

6. Crutch

Crutch New Member

Count me in plus 6 of my guys.

Good times last year.

Looking forward to the espada y daga.

Terry

www.jkd-concepts.com

7. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Yes, the Espada y daga will be interesting.

As a further exploration of all things relating to blades and combat, I cajoled John into allowing us to add yet another division to the tournament.
    For those interested, we will be having tomahawk and knife throwing competition outside. To encourage participation and fun, this will be a no cost event. But also no prizes other than bragging rights will be given as well. Tomahawks and knives will be provided but if you have your own, feel free to bring them. Just be sure the knives are actual throwing knives (maybe we'll do throwing spikes at some time in the future ).
    And don't forget to start preparing for the Combat Knife Division, last year's new addition.

8. Brian R. VanCise

Awesome Navadisha! That is definitely a treat!

9. mohanhben

mohanhben New Member

This is a mind blowing seminar and tournament. Last year I was there and I really enjoyed it.

In this tournament I personally like Rich Parsons because, he is a guy that teaches fresh Arnis and Balintawak at the Flint Club, he also conducts various seminars around the country (USA) and in Ontario, Canada.

So if you are participating in this event this year please keep an eye on Rich Parsons and see his talents.

Thank you.

10. Brian R. VanCise

Yes Rich is a great guy with great skills and a passion to share them!

11. New2FMA

New2FMA New Member

I'm glad to see that it is in the summer.
    Thank you Guro John and all for all your hard work and keeping this going.

12. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

me and mine will be there again. Glenn just had knee surgery, but if he is well enough I'm sure he will fiercely defend his combat knife title!
    Sylva is looking forward to competing with the boys even better this year, and hopefully my wife can jump in to the events as well this year.

13. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

What are the rules for the 'Combat Knife' competition?

14. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Thanks for asking.

At the end of one of the rules vids we did last year is a description of the Combat Knife rules, starting at 3:45
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=schUhIFcIG4

Here's the full rules:

Pacific Island Tournament rules for Combat Knife

Combat Knife Division, ‘least blood’

The goal of the Combat Knife division is to give participants a realistic experience of the reality of bladed encounters or “combat” against skilled opponents. Scoring will be at the discretion of the center referee with 2 judges available for conferring, all three being survivors of knife encounters. The use of a marking knife will be employed and red marking product. Each participant will wear a plain white Tshirt and goggles (supplied), groin protection (they must supply), and will be supplied with a marking knife. Fighters will be placed back to back 6’ apart. When the referee drops his hands and says fight, fighting commences.

Target areas are only those areas considered to be “fight ending”. This would include any area of the torso (including back and groin) but not arms, legs or head (for safety reasons). Any slash or stab to the target areas will be counted as a “fatal” point. Cuts to the hands, arms or legs , while potentially fatal, will not count as they could be survived.

Disarms will count for a point reduction against the other fighter however will not end
    the fight and will not be immediately returned. In reality, a fighter could be disarmed yet still skillful enough to not be finished, still ahead on points and last out the round while defending himself. Also, he can still disarm his opponent (at which point time will be stopped and blades returned to both and restarted) or he can disarm and use his opponents weapon against him finishing the round.

Due to the extreme nature and speed at which these rounds will occur, only one 30 second round will be employed. The winner will be determined at the end of the round by a count of “cuts” to the defined target areas. The fighter with the least fatal cuts (least blood) will be determined by the referee. A caveat to this will be that if one fighter maneuvers his opponent in to a non-recoverable position as deemed by the referee, the fight will be called lost at that point if it is plainly evident.

Light to medium grappling, holds, locks and takedowns are all legal techniques. However, if techniques become too excessive, action will be stopped and fighters restarted from standing.

Overt striking with the empty hand is not allowed. Checks to any part of the body(excluding head) are allowed but not if used as an overt strike.

The punyo may be used but not as a striking implement.

Arbitration – All decisions of the center referee are final. Rounds will be recorded and he will have the option of watching as well as conferring with the consulting judges but only at his discretion. This event is not about winners but more about survivors.

15. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Thanks for the information. I'd be in trouble with the rules. Striking with the live hand is one of my few go to moves when knife sparring. Also, I target the neck with the blade all the time.

16. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

LOL, so does my teacher on both counts!!!
    Yes, the striking would certainly be a sound strategy and yes, we practice as well. For tournaments unfortunately there always has to be some concessions for safety of the fighters. Otherwise they don't keep coming back. And it takes some restraint not to do so.
    I believe most of last years competitors still had a blast. It's just not the same as a regular tournament division.

17. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I completely understand the need for the rules though I think you could handle the neck shots by having people wear a fencing mask easily enough. Safety is of course paramount. Doesn't make a ton of sense to train defensive/combative arts if you are too beat up to use it if you actually have to.

18. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

Any idea who else is going to be teaching the seminars this year?

19. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I can attest to the quality of the Tourney and seminars that John and his crew have been doing for the time I have known them.. I was a participant in the 06 tourney which was held south of chicago.. It was top notch and if I wasn't back on the isle of thieves, I would most definitely be back there with my broke ass body to take part in it.. Steve Van H and John are good people who promote the FMA from their respective styles..It was a privilege to be affiliated with these guys during my short stay in the states, but the friendship that they shared with this displaced Illini boy was greatly appreciated.. It is my honor to put my two cents in for this tourney..

20. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

John and I were narrowing down the list of seminar instructors just last week when we drove down to Chicago. Got reaquainted with Master Dave Converse while there too who will be back after a brief absense.

John should be posting a list shortly. It should be fun and diverse.
    While there we also did a brief rules vid on the new Espady y daga division that should be up on Youtube soon.

I also just spent 4 weeks in Minnesota and there's a strong team from there coming as well that I got to spend some time with. Great hospitality.

Folks, it's only 12 weeks out so start your tournament prep routine now!

Hoping to see everyone from the past several years again as well as make some great new freinds.

Thanks for the kind words Bill! There's always a spot reserved for you!

Steve