Check out this idea and let us know what you think.

Discussion in 'General' started by ESKABO, May 27, 2009.

1. ESKABO

ESKABO New Member

We at ESKABO DAAN would like to make a rather interesting proposal to the FMA community. The proposal that we have come up with, is one designed to promote FMA as much as possible. As we all know there is a plethora of FMA styles and practitioner throughout California and the world. There are a number of styles that are well known to the public. However, the vast majority of the styles out there are not well known. We at ESKABO DAAN would like to change that.

From one underground martial art style to the others we propose that we support one another. To do so we aspire to put together as many seminars and as possible to achieve just that. The seminars would give those participating styles a chance to show to the public their method of FMA. During the seminar there would also be a number of other styles demonstrating their system.

For those of you who are not familiar with some of the seminars in which ESKABO DAAN has thrown allow me to give a brief synopsis. ESKABO DAAN like many other styles started off underground and training anywhere and everywhere. One of the main reasons why we trained was purely for the love of FMA and still is. It has only been a few years now that our organization has decided to come out to the public. Like a little kid going out to a new school anytime we went out we were the unknown to the vast majority. While out and about we always found comfort in the other unknown practitioners and before we knew it, became good friends and started a circle of FMA enthusiast. While out and about we have also built camaraderie with some of the bigger names of not only FMA but other arts as well.

Since then with our new found group of fellow FMA enthusiasts we have put together a number of FMA seminars to help promote the FMA community. We have done events for and or with:

GGM Ernesto Presas- Kombatan
    GM Bobby Toboada- World Balintawak Arnis Escrima
    GM Max Pallen- Senkotiros
    GM Alfredo Bandalan- Bandalan Martial Art Systems
    GM Mike Giron- Original Giron Escrima
    GM Lito Concepcion- Concepcion Combative Martial Arts Academy
    Prof. Allen Magdangal- Magdangal School of Kali
    Master Carlito Bonjoc- MATA SA BAGYO Filipino Martial Arts International
    Master Roger Agbulos- LAMECO
    Master Dexter Labonog- Bahala Na Multi-Style Eskrima
    Master Ray Cordobo- Kombatan
    Master Jose Tan- Modified Tapado
    Master Nene Gaabucayan- Teovel Balintawak Gold Chapter
    Punong Guro Myrlino Hufana- Hufana Traditional Arnis International
    Punong Guro Steven Dowd- Arnis Balite
    Guro Michelle Bautista- Kamatuuran School of Kalijin

Other Styles include:
    GM Emil Bautista- Kajukenbo
    Senior GM Rick Alemany – Alemany Kenpo Karate
    Prof. Carlos Valdillez- Alemany Kenpo Karate
    Prof. Leo Fong- Wei Kuen Do

. Anyone interested in joining the cause contact us at eskabodaan.org or let us know here on FMATALK and together we can enlighten the world about FMA.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Good luck!

3. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

I believe we might be interested. Our Head instructor is in Salinas, CA, and I am out in Missouri. Please let us know what we can do, or what info you need from us.

Guro Pat

4. ESKABO

ESKABO New Member

Guro Paul,

First of all thanks for the reply! Would your instructor be interested in doing a seminar this August in SF? We are in the process of putting one together. We also have a chapter in St Louis and we might be able to do a seminar out in your area as well. Let us know!

5. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

I think he would be, is there an email or phone number I can give Guro Felix so he can get in contact with you? you can PM me if you want to

Good, I didn't know you were out here as well. We may be able to put something together

6. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

I mentioned it to him and he said that he is booked in August, maybe next time with a little more advance notice! =)

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I lived in Salinas for a short while in the early 90s and simply assumed there were no other FMAers in that small town. I managed to find a FMA instructor in Pacific Grove (which was near work). I learned only years later that there had been groups there!

8. ESKABO

ESKABO New Member

Doesn't that make you wonder how many hidden treasures there are out there?

9. MichaelJB

MichaelJB New Member

Oh yeah, watch out. There are a few of us FMA players from Salinas floating around... ;)

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes!

11. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Lot's of hidden treasures out there! Makes it very, very interesting! [​IMG]

12. MichaelJB

MichaelJB New Member

Only interesting if you can find them. It'd be nice if more would come out of the woodwork. I can understand trying to keep quality over quantity by staying underground but that's also a way to become extinct. Treasures aren't any good if they stay buried and if buried long enough they can become forgotten.

13. ESKABO

ESKABO New Member

With that said what are the names of some of those groups?

14. MichaelJB

MichaelJB New Member

Great question. Unfortunately, I'm not the one who decides when/if someone comes out from the shadows.

Also, my earlier post wasn't just in regards to those in Salinas or those I may personally know but in general. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's heard stories about "there was this one guy..." or "that one old man moved incredibly..." or "we never saw him again..." and the like. Of course in a perfect world, everyone shares openly and nothing is lost.

15. ESKABO

ESKABO New Member

That is a very good point. We all have to respect the wishes of others. After all traditionally martial arts were kept within the family and it seems that some families keep that tradition going.

That brings up a question. Do you think that the originators of an art taught absolutely everything they knew? Or did they withhold information just in case?

16. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Depends on the founder.

17. KaliGman

KaliGman Professional Man at Arms

Seminars and Events

This is an interesting idea and a good way for instructors and arts to learn from each other and showcase the FMA as a whole. It is nice to see an open attitude and an acknowledgement that there is no "one way" but "many ways" to approach both art and combat.

Too bad I am all the way over in Ohio or I'd drop in for one of these events sometime. Best of luck in your training and teaching.

Jon

18. Raul

Raul Mananandata

Old masters taught as much as they should, same way the students can only learn as much as they can.

19. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

With Remy Presas, he was very good at assessing what you were ready for and also what would be good for you. Everyone saw a different side of him, it seemed!