Cease And Desist Notice Nagasulong

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by taken, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taken

taken New Member

Mr John Bednarski Has Been Served With A Cease And Desist Notice For Copyright Infringment For Using The Work Entitled Nagasulong, For Unauthorized Use Of My Copyrighted Work Entitled Sulong. Under 17u.s.c Section 101 Et Seq. And Is Liable For Statutory Damages As High As $150,000 As Set Forth In Section 504 C2 Therein. We Demand That All Immediate Use And Distribution Of Infringing Works Cease And Dismiss Immediately, From Internet Websites, Such As Fma Talk. We Will Be Moving Forth With Legal Action If This Is Not Ceased And Taken Off Immediately. Our Lawyers Have Been In Contact With Mr. Bednarski, And Continued Use Of Our Copyright Infringement Is Just Making Our Case Stronger.
    Sincerely,
    Sulong

2. silat1

silat1 Active Member

How the hell can someone copy right a word from a foreign country? It is a normal word that is used in daily conversation by more than estimated 500,000 people in the Philippines daily
    According to the bisayan dictionary that I have access to for translation the following words are using sulong and nagasulong as translated: http://www.binisaya.com/node/21?search=binisaya&word=nagasulong&Search=Search
    This is the kind of bull that gives us as martial artists a bad image on the tourney and seminar circuit.

Word - rootword - affixes
    nagasulong - sulong - naga-~
    na.ga.su.lung. - 4 syllables

naga- + sulong = nagasulong
    nagasulong

sulong: advance (v.); invade (v.)

Derivatives of sulong

Glosses:
    advanceadvance, progress, progression(n.)a movement forward.; "he listened for the progress of the troops"advance, betterment, improvement(n.)a change for the better; progress in development.advance, approach, feeler, overture(n.)a tentative suggestion designed to elicit the reactions of others.; "she rejected his advances"advance, advancement, forward motion, onward motion, procession, progress, progression(n.)the act of moving forward (as toward a goal).advance, cash advance(n.)an amount paid before it is earned.advance, rise(n.)increase in price or value.; "the news caused a general advance on the stock market"advance, go on, march on, move on, pass on, progress(v.)move forward, also in the metaphorical sense.; "Time marches on"advance, throw out(v.)bring forward for consideration or acceptance.; "advance an argument"advance, boost, supercharge(v.)increase or raise.; "boost the voltage in an electrical circuit"advance, boost, encourage, further, promote(v.)contribute to the progress or growth of.; "I am promoting the use of computers in the classroom"advance, bring forward(v.)cause to move forward.; "Can you move the car seat forward?"advance, gain, gain ground, get ahead, make headway, pull ahead, win(v.)obtain advantages, such as points, etc..; "The home team was gaining ground"; "After defeating the Knicks, the Blazers pulled ahead of the Lakers in the battle for the number-one playoff berth in the Western Conference"advance, come along, come on, get along, get on, progress, shape up(v.)develop in a positive way.; "He progressed well in school"; "My plants are coming along"; "Plans are shaping up"advance(v.)develop further.; "We are advancing technology every day"advance, elevate, kick upstairs, promote, raise, upgrade(v.)give a promotion to or assign to a higher position.; "John was kicked upstairs when a replacement was hired"; "Women tend not to advance in the major law firms"; "I got promoted after many years of hard work"advance(v.)pay in advance.; "Can you advance me some money?"advance, set ahead(v.)move forward.; "we have to advance clocks and watches when we travel eastward"advance, gain(v.)rise in rate or price.; "The stock market gained 24 points today"advance, beforehand(adj.)being ahead of time or need.; "gave advance warning"; "was beforehand with her report"advance, advanced, in advance(adj.)situated ahead or going before.; "an advance party"; "at that time the most advanced outpost was still east of the Rockies"

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  3. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Even if you could copyright the word, they are 2 different words.

4. Mariah

Mariah Lean, Mean when necessary

This is disgusting. FMA Forum is no place for airing Cease and Desist and filthy rotten stinking dirty laundry. This does not unify, it provokes, it tempts and it divides. I move to have it removed.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  5. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

I use the word Imua which means to advance, I hope I dont get sued.

6. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I figured something like this was going to happen sooner or later.... Not because I thought the names were too similar though... Spite is a horrible thing.

7. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

In California the name of a company only has to change its name 20% to be declared no copyright infringment. I don't know what the law is in Chicago. I think you need man up, admit that FMA is not a strong point for your SULONG event, enjoy your Karate and be thankful for what you have. Let it go, life is too short. By now I don't think anyone cares what they call John's event.

Stephen

8. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

Afraid I don't understand the issue. Is the claim that this word is the copy written work?
    Google only has 21 hits for "Nagasulong" so it doesn't seem like a common term. Sulong generates 411 thousand hits, pretty common. Naga sulong generates about a thousand hits.

17 u.s.c Section 101
    http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#101

Section 504 C2
    http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html#504

Under U.S. copyright law, individual words cannot be registered for copyright.

Trademark law -may- apply, but that's a totally different thing, AFAIK.

(Note, none of the above constitutes legal advice)

9. Mushtaq Ali

Mushtaq Ali New Member

This is very high silliness indeed, fortunately it is pretty much self correcting.

The bottom line for me is that John put on a really fun tournament last year. My students and I had a great time, met a lot of really good people and it offered my students an opportunity to test themselves in a very healthy way. And we got to help raise money for St Jude's on top of all that.

The Karate folks on the other side of the building seemed to be enjoying themselves as well.

My students will be attending John's Tournament again this year regardless of what he chooses to call it, mostly because he knows how to keep everything light and non-political and how to have a good time. If the Karate people aren't interested in coming to play it just means more room for the rest of us.

To hell with politics, greed and egos, better that people of good will gather together and hit each other with sticks in the spirit of good fellowship to generate a little gift for the children at St Jude's. Then no matter what we call it, we end up on the side of the angels.

10. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Under what copyright infringement laws are you stating? Have you registered the copyright information with the appropriate agency? I have had material that I had written on the internet taken and posted on other forums.. I didn't care as long as the person who took it gave credit where credit was due and referenced the source of where he got it..
    I was there when the name of the organization was discussed over dinner after the seminar that GM Nene gave before I left the states.. There was a lot of stuff that I asked for such as the bylaws and the constitution to look at to see if this organization was going to be viable.. If you look at the postings concerning this tourney, I was one of the first people who started posting and gaining support for the organization and the tourney.

It has been mostly the practitioners of the FMA/IMA community that has pressed the concept of this organization and tourney to get it out into the general population's view as a way of getting the Midwest FMA/IMA community organized and on the way to be considered a main stay of competition and networking with this ecelectic community that still stays with in the tribal aspects of arts that we practice..

I had a good feeling about the Sulong organization from the first few meetings that we had and felt that it was headed to becoming a viable organization, but as a result of the recent rumblings that I have heard and read from contacts within the midwest FMA/IMA groups that I got involved with while stateside, I wish to make the following comments:

As the ranking practitioner of the Reston Balintawak and Sinko Tiros eskrima systems I had given support and recognition to this organization known as Sulong, I withdraw all support and recognition of this organization due to the recent turn of events.

I hereby make it known that the support of the Reston Balintawak and Sinko Tiros eskrima group of Guam fully support the Nagasulong group and all practitioners of the DTS family which are recognized by GM Jerson "Nene" Tortal as founders and members of the Nagasulong as Kyuds and Kyudai (brothers and sisters) of the FMA community in which the Reston group is part of.

As prepared by myself on the 5th of September 2008,

11. Bobbe

Bobbe Member

This is unbelievable. Norm, what in the name of the Seven Gods are you thinking? Are you trying to hurt John for no other reason than spite? Do you suppose this make you look good in our eyes?

John Bednarski has a good name in FMA, and he doesn't deserve this crap.

People tried to do this ***** to me when I mentioned that I teach Sera.Which I do. Victor DeThouars tried to give me a similar letter. No Dice. It's like trying to copyright the word "India" and make everyone living on the Indian continent pay you for copyright infringement.

I'll point you to the same place I pointed Victor to, but I'll do it in a more civil way:

U.S. Copyright Office

PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO THE TITLE OF THE PAGE!!!

I did a search for "Nagasulong" as well as "Sulong"...As of tonight, Thursday, September 4th, 2008 at 9:37 Pacific time, NIETHER of these terms have been copywritten. And I SERIOUSLY doubt you will achieve such, especially in such a short amount of time. The law is on Bednarski's side here, he has proof of prior use.

So, for the last time: DROP THIS.

It doesn't do anything to commend you, nor serve any purpose other than negativity.

12. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I vote that this thread be locked down and/or deleted.. This serves no purpose for the forthcoming tourney except to make it look like a 3rd grade play ground fight between kiddies.

Bob, arnisador or one of the moderators, please lock this thread before it gets worse and the sparks ignite the possible flame wars that I see in my crystal ball

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

This thread is locked.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.