Carry Blade of Choice?

Discussion in 'Lameco' started by Guro Dave Gould, Sep 25, 2010.

1. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Excellent post Christof. Some very good recommendations here, so I am glad you chose to chip in with your opinion.
    Guro Dave, thanks for the tip on the placement of the folder in the pocket...I'll do some experimenting with that, so maybe I'll end up opting for some new solutions.

2. Guro Dave Gould

Guro Dave Gould LAMECO ESKRIMA SYSTEM

Hi guys,

Again thanks for everyones responses as there have been some very insightful comments made thus far.

Christof, good to hear from you! are you still able to buy the CRKT "Companion" in Germany? it has been discontinued for some time now and it is getting more difficult to find one here in the States. Outside of e-bay or some other online auctions they are very difficult to get your hands on. I still have two I think but I would love to re-supply if given the option.

Dragan, another thing which you must incorporate in your training concerning weapon deployment is both left and right hand deployment options. all of your EDC blades need to be accessible to either hand and should be able to be deployed with the standard grip or the ice pick grip. I did not go into this in the DVD; "Lameco Eskrima; Essential Knife III" but that is the evolution of the material once standard deployment has been successfully acquired.

Other than Christof and myself no-one else has mentioned EDC Confined Space blades? What do the rest of you carry for dealing with this environment? As stated before I use the CRKT "Bear Claw" in case the fight goes to the ground or I get attacked in my vehicle, Christof relies on various neck knives, what about the rest of you? Do you not differentiate confined space to be a separate environment requiring its own unique solutions? Or do you just incorporate your standard EDC for all environments faced equally?

Regards,
    Guro Dave Gould

3. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Interesting question Dave about confined spaces. As the blade that I carry must be under 4 inches in the state of Tennessee, I feel that it is find for close in work and do not carry a neck knife. On occasion I will carry a smaller version of the same blade on my off hand side but that is about it. I have considered carrying a neck knife or something similar but legal issues and the phrase "intent to go armed" comes into play. I can explain away a pocket folder easy enough, even one that is black or another "tactical" color by saying that it is the same blade I carry hunting, fishing, etc. Its a great deal harder to do that with a neck knife or other specialty blade. That is the same reason I don't carry a kerambit style blade. There is virtually no way to argue its utilitarian purpose to the same extent you can a plain old folding knife.

4. chfroehlich

chfroehlich Junior Member

Unfortunately not. That's the reason why I cherish the Companion so much. It never came out the sheath for cuttin something. The edge is pristine, but the blade has some markings from the lot of times I trained quick-draws.:wink2:

But if I remember right, CRKT might put it back in their program.

Best to you

Christof

5. Guro Dave Gould

jwinch2,

One of the selling points to the CRKT "Bear Claw" is that one of its uses is for EMT`s and other first responders who upon arriving to the scene of an accident may have to cut a person free from their seat belt or they may have to deflate a deployed airbag. They have three models in specific on the market: Blunt tip, sharp tip and serrated edge with all three being promoted for first responders or good samaritans who may arm themselves should they also come up on the scene of an accident. I certainly would not want to get into a car crash and not be able to undo my seat belt, especially if the car should catch fire.

The "Bear Claw" is not a neck knife but rather it is a very small fixed blade which can be carried on ones belt, back pocket, change pocket or in ones sock. Or you can do as I do and just stage and extra one accessible to you in your vehicle.

Regards,
    Guro Dave Gould.

6. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

I keep a Res-Q-Me on my keychain, which also has the benefit of having a centerpunch that will break glass. That way it is with me regardless of what car I drive, and since most cars have their ignition on the steering column, it is in a place where I am likely to still be able to access even if the car gets mangled. That isn't the only thing I keep in the car with me, but I can envision a scenario where a tool positioned well for (say) an anti-carjacking situation is not necessarily positioned well for a rescue situation. :)

http://www.amazon.com/ResQMe-Keycha...r_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285729390&sr=8-1

7. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Guro Dave,
    When the bear claw first came out, I bought two of them to use in my emt jump kit.. They lasted until the first time I had to cut a seat belt when I hit the metal adjuster of the shoulder belt.. Tip went south and basically was useless after that due to the fact that I didn't buy the bear claws with the rounded rescue tip as they weren't available then..

It was a good blade, but for heavy use as an emt, I would recommend something a little more substantial in the tip department.. They are good for carving up assailants in tight quarters, but that is why I have the spyderco civilian with the 5 inch serrated blade..

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I have never used a neck knife because I always imagine myself slicing my chest as I draw it.

9. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I have trained scenarios of confined space/grappling with the knife, and so far my standard carry has been sufficiently accessible.
    However, I do have to admit that I had not thought of making my EDC knives equally accessible to both hands...nor have I practiced deployment with my off-side hand. Will get to it immediately.

10. Guro Dave Gould

Hi guys,

Great comments! Keep them coming.

Bill, thanks for stating your experience with the "Bear Claw" and I am sure that what you stated was good reasoning for CRKT coming out with the blunt tip version of the "Bear Claw". My main intent with my post concerning EMT`s and good samaritans being armed with a folder or fixed blade in general or a "Bear Claw" in specific was more geared toward having a more believable excuse to have it on your person to begin with. If I get pulled over and I am asked if I have any weapons, I say yes I have a blade on me to assist in freeing myself from my seat belt in an emergency or someone else in case I am first on scene of a violent car accident, the officer says ok and I move on, hopefully without being cited for speeding or some other violation. The quickest way to get into trouble with the Law here in California concerning knives is to state that you are carrying for self-defense purposes.

Dragan, great! have fun exploring the options available to you concerning ambidextrious Deployment of your EDC blades. As for confined space EDC, actually train and explore limitations and spatial restrictions inside your vehicle, bathroom, doorwells, a narrow hallway and if available inside a bathroom stall. You will be amazed at what will hinder your performance with a standard folder, which is why I train confined space with the "Bear Claw" or other smaller finger knives. Either way the actual experience of training these very confined environments will open your eyes and reveal loads of combative truth to your conscious mind which mere speculation could never compensate for or justify.

Train well, ciao.

Regards,
    Guro Dave Gould.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  11. MakSmart

MakSmart New Member

I agree that there's a risk in using folding knives. But down the line, it offers more benefits like ease of use, accessibility and legality. I just make it to a point to buy one from a trusted brand like Benchmade.

I personally love the 585 Mini-Barrage.

12. Carol

Personally I find that my folder is the best tool for day to day use. They Ka-Bar is great when I am hiking because it is so solid, and it is tough enough for wilderness tasks such as cutting small branches, but it is too bulky to (say) cut small pieces of plastic insulators in the lab. Around the house, or the office, I use my folder far more. The Spyderco Delica that I unintentionally "converted" in to a fixed blade now lives out in the garage, still seeing a ton of use.

The best blade for self-defense is the one you have with you. I'll take the folder I have on me over the fixed blade I left at home any day of the week. :)

13. London

London New Member

what in interesting subject, and one I've invested a lot of thought and money into, with drawers of various knives I hardly ever carry. Here's a unique concept for your consideration, the fixed-blade pocket knife. I'm not connected with them in any way (in fact for the life of me I don't recall the manufacturer!) but here's a peek:

in pocket:

[​IMG]

and showing the simple yet clever clip built into the Kydex(R) sheath

[​IMG]

and the nice blade. Lynn is the name of the bladesmith

[​IMG]

they say this is carry-legal in CA and most other states. I'd check local laws first to make sure.

yes, it does look like you have a steak knife in your pocket but hey....you never know when someone is going to invite you out to Ruth's Chris or Mortons eh?

14. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Ha, I wish. I could go for a good steak.

15. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I got the blade in a couple of days ago and so far I am still getting used to it. The grip is extremely comfortable in my hand with the knife is open and I can already tell that there is virtually no way that I could accidentally slide forward on the blade without my having made some significant mistake. I was concerned about the axis lock location with the idea that if I were to brush it accidentally it might disengage and cause the blade to close on me. Having carried it and messed with it for a few days now, I am growing more comfortable with the axis lock. One potential issue that has come up is that when the blade is closed, the shape of the handle makes it difficult to open the blade due to a couple of reasons. First, the thumb stud is somewhat close to the handle so it is a bit hard to get my thumb in between it and the stud. Second, the grip is somewhat narrow so my fingers actually wrap all the way around the grip and blade and tend to get in the way when trying to open the knife quickly.

I guess the bottom line is that for me, the jury is out on this particular knife. What I can say is that it is razor sharp, solid, seems to be well made, feel great in the hand when open, etc. Right now I am thinking that with practice, opening the benchmade rukus blade will become as easy and natural as the spyderco has been for me in recent years. If that is the case, I will subject the blade to more extensive testing. If not, I will probably sell the blade on e-bay and hope that someone else will enjoy it more than I will. I am hopeful that it will work out as I have been looking for a new carry folder for some time now and have been getting discouraged due to not finding a blade with the options I was after.

Stay tuned I guess...

16. London

London New Member

the axis-locks by Benchmade are very slick and well made. My only concern is that they often don't stay locked open if 'flicked' open with force. try doing it 10 times in a row and see what happens. for me that was a deal breaker for every day carry as I couldn't trust it. Oddly a good many knives behave the same way. My old spyderco endura however never does this. ??? curious. Incidentally my endura is my most carried knife over the years as it is slim, light and stays open when flicked. (since I carry a pistol on the right hip, I often carry my EDC knife on my left pocket) and therefore I draw with my support hand and flick-open to reverse grip.

my latest experiment is the Spyderco Endura with 'wave' opening feature which is a patented feature of Emerson's knives. I first bought the trainer version so that I could give it a real workout without hacking myself up. I used it at a Valencia LAMECO seminar recently and I was very pleased with it's performance, and have subsequently ordered the live blade version.

17. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I have had no failures to lock so far when opening. I will definitely keep an eye out for that as I am familiarizing myself with the knife. If I have a similar problem, that would immediately disqualify the knife for EDC as far as I am concerned. Thanks for the heads up!

18. Carol

Random acts of Porterhouse. I'm down with that!

19. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I spent a bit of time last night working on indexing my benchmade rukus and opening it. I have gotten a bit more comfortable with the opening but I am far from where I need to be with it. So far, no failures to lock-up despite deliberately opening it in a ballistic manner. I probably did about 30 reps of that so it is far from conclusive. When, I get about 200 openings with no failures of the lock to engage, I will feel better about it. Thanks again, for the heads up on the potential lock issue.

20. London

London New Member

Jwinch, it's doing better than mine already (sniff sniff)

maybe they have incorporated some new engineering since I got mine some 13 years ago. thanks for the update.

today I'll be giving my first home-made training knife a workout. it's designed after a medium chef's knife. A lot of training knives 'look' like training knives and I think that could become a psychological training rut, hence this design. Since there are no FMA schools in Reno I'm off to a Systema class. Not the same but still gets me moving.

cheers all,