Cane Training For Seniors.

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by arnisador, Jul 12, 2008.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Everybody Is 'Cane Fu' Fighting
    At Senior Centers, So Watch Out

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Serif]Older People Get Healthful Exercise
    And Learn to Wield a Ready Weapon
    [/FONT]

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Cane-Fu teaches seniors self-defense

See also here.

Cane More Than Crutch

4. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Recognition

That's quite a step up from being "the only martial arts system designed in America to be recognized by Kazakhstan..."

Best,

Steve

5. sjansen

sjansen New Member

The video you mentioned was no that impessive, but the other links associated with the art were. I guess you just have to think that most people are not that willing to learn the upper skills. Thank you for the introduction. I will probably need it in the end.

6. The upper skills aren't shown on you-tube ;)

7. sjansen

sjansen New Member

That's what I figured. Thank you for clarifying.

8. No probs.

I was in a bit of a rush when I wrote that so will expand now after reflection. I usually am troubled when people allude to things "..being there really"....

The movements in the video I link earlier are taught right at the start of the Bahad Zu'bu curriculum. Is like to think of "The Bio-stick" as the systems "Wooden Dummy".

I say this because the movements can be replicated when you are working knife and empty hands. Also, the stick can be substituted for an opponent. It's hard to describe but an example is to think of transferring the stick over your head, from the left shoulder to the right. This can also be applied to the same movement applied to an opponents arm.

The basic footwork (Step forward, step back, position) is also contained in the drill. The movements are very basic and can be picked up in a few days. A lot less if you have the "Natural Aptitude" that I lack at times!

Why I like Guro Romy's video is the postitioning of the body behind the stick. How he shifts his weight and torso in such a smooth style. It is very difficult to do that. If you watch some of Guro Romy's other videos you will see these body mechanics when he is working the sticks and blades.

Back to the original point I forgot I uploaded some cane disarms from GM Yuli Romo himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR-3QEDDijc

They start at around the one minute mark.

Simon.

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Ah, he's working from a walking stick grip?

10. Yes,

He's working from the tungkod grip. There's probably some experience of Tatang in there as apparently he was fond of carrying a walking stick towards the end of his life and having at his students with it!

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

A weapon, not a crutch
    Seniors learn to raise canes in self-defense

12. chris arena

chris arena New Member

Sibat Cane

I've been teaching cane for the past while as a Saturday class. It's been a project in development for about 2 years. I'm having a lot of fun with it and it has been well recieved. Basically a stripped down version of NSI Sibat Long pole and Modern Arnis basic patterns put into largo line applications. Emphasis on striking. Nothing fancy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih8fouOk8jA Applications
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbPTF8ybXqQ Form Energy

Chris A.