Cacoy Doce Pares championchips in Cebu

Discussion in 'Doce Pares' started by salurian, Feb 19, 2009.

1. salurian

salurian New Member

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Sounds cool!

3. Does sound cool.

$130 / $180 to enter though?

Not sure how many local players can afford that.

4. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

I don't know if any of the local players can afford that price... I mean that translates to about 6000 pesos... Most people in PI don't even make close to that much in a month...

I'm sorry, coming from someone from Cebu, I don't agree with that price and would never encourage anyone from that area to compete in that tournament just to spend $130-$160... Which could be used for much more necessary things...

If you're from another country and can afford that and the flight and stuff, fine... But I don't agree in putting that tourney in my homeland in which the people can't even afford to compete in it... Only the elites in Cebu can afford that price...

Sorry, I don't agree with this tourney... It does not have my blessing... Due to the fact that it costs too much for the local players...

5. I wouldn't go that strong about it TP!!!

The more tournaments the merrier IMO. It's up to interested participants to chose the ones that fit their budget and travel plans. If you are travelling to the Philippines on vacation it would be great to get in a tournament too.

I just hope one day there can be a big tournament, priced reasonably, open to all at a more economical price so foreigners can test their skills against every Filipino who wants to enter. Most Filipinos I know can't even afford the padding (though I do note it is provided by I'm sure you get my point).

$180 is more than my monthly rent here and we have a reasonably sized house (for 2 of us) :(

6. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

I have to go strong about it... That is a very expensive price... Most players from there can't even afford that price due to most peple there don't make that much...

Only the elites of Cebu and foreigners can afford that price... But people of the lower class can't compete... I know how hard life is there... I was one of them...

This tourney shows that they only want the elite class and foreigners to compete by making the price that high... This is an obvious segregation of classes... And I am personally affected because I was one of those lower class of people back home... It's a slap to my peoples faces...

Tourneys here in Hawai'i don't even cost half that price to compete in... And they're making that price in a country that has loads of poor people??? It's an insult and you know it...

I try to be civil in my comments here due to being suspended multiple times... But I feel that I am insulted with that price because I know that kind of money is hard to come by in Cebu... You really think someone who sells eggplants in Tabunok can afford that price?

7. ummm..I'm a "foreigner" here and I definitely can't afford it - is all I know ;)

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Granted it does sound a bit over priced, but dont jump to conclusions as from my expeariance with numerous international tournaments in the Philippines, I think you will find that the entry fee's for the local fighters will reflect the income of the region, if they have an entry fee at all that is, most foreigners accept that these sort of fees are way out of reach for your average Pinoy and accept that their entry fees will be priced accordingly or even waivered.

I have even been to international tournaments in the Philippines where the local fighters gain free entry, although it is not something that is publicised as some foreigners will get irked about it, but I think it is reasonable to do that as otherwise none of the local fighters would be able to compete and then it would not be a real world championships without a Philippine team.

I dont think it is a case of trying to attract just the elite Pinoy's at all, I think if you look deeper you will see numerous local fighters competing at this event, I think maybe people are jumping to conclusions here.

Best regards

Pat

9. Fair enough. Most foreigners would understand so the tournament promoters should publicize this fact maybe? They could then promote the event locally as students outside of DP would know the discounted rates too.

It's far too easy to jump to conclusions without all the neccesary information.

10. Pat OMalley

Absolutley, but you also have to realise they may feel that they are stuck between a rock and a hard place for if they advertise the fact that the locals will get a discounted rate which is more affordable to them, there will always be one person who would shout 'foul' which could be embarassing for the organisers, plus they may also feel that stating that the locals cant afford it could would be embarassing too. And we know how the Pinoy's do not like to lose face.

It's a hard one as you will never please all the people all the time.

Best regards

Pat

11. sharon.gmc

sharon.gmc New Member

that's exciting! and pricey! i wish i can go!

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

What is a typical entry fee for such an event in the Phil.?

13. Pat OMalley

Well for WEKAF the foreigners would pay about $50 US Dollars, what the locals pay? Probably nothing....

The Padded stick events I have attended in Manila, the foriegners paid about $50 US Dollars, the locals well.... Probably nothing.

Swings and round abouts really, you need the funds to have the venue and supply the trophies and equipment but if you over charge the locals then they cant afford to go then you might as well hold it anywhere and it would not really be a world championships of FMA without the Philippine Team.

Best regards

Pat