Cabales Serrada Escrima

Discussion in 'Serrada' started by Far Walkers Moon, Dec 18, 2005.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Of course, my understanding is that "...to the death" meant that that was a possibility, but most fights just ended in a couple of bruises.

2. oosh

oosh Junior Member

"to "try out" or "play" at that time really meant a fight to the death"

I don't think so, 'playing' refers to exactly that - where players tested eachothers skills without the intention of killing eachother; It's when the word 'play' gets dropped that things get serious ;)

3. nash

nash New Member

Very likely, but then again it has been a few years since I read the book. I may have misunderstood in my hurry to get the mostamount of information that I couldfor the report. I don't think that it mentioned any confirmed deaths while Sigung Cabales actually tried his skills, I do however remember them mentioning fighting to the death. So if anyone has the book and reads that passage, let me know what it says.

4. 408kali

408kali Member

There is no system in the Philippines teaching Serrada Eskrima as taught by Felicisimo Dizon to my knowledge. I did hear of Boy Dizon the son of Felicisimo who was a training partner of GM Fred Lazo.

Not much more to expand on but Angel Cabales learned all that Dizon had to offer that much I'm pretty sure about, also Dizon's style was called Serrada Eskrima.

Again, to my understanding there exists no certified instructors of Serrada Eskrima in the Philippines. If there are they haven't come out of the woodworks yet.

More later, ~John

5. pahhhoul

pahhhoul New Member

6. darkpaperinik

darkpaperinik Junior Member

I can confirm that, refering to Grandmaster Vincent Cabales. A couple of years ago he told me, that there are no CABALES serrada players in the Philippines.

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

None at all? That seems surprising!

8. Matt Lim

Matt Lim New Member

Its not because he only started teaching when he was in the states. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

9. tsefreeflow

tsefreeflow New Member

There is one in PI only teaching Pilipino's!

10. ScorpioVI

ScorpioVI New Member

Last time I lived there there weren't exactly a lot of Uzbekistanis, Moroccans, Norwegians or Eskimos living there...

11. tsefreeflow

tsefreeflow New Member

Point is, is that there are a lot of Americans, europeans etc.. that go there to study and he will not teach anyone but Pilipino's.

12. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

There has to be someone in Arizona that teaches Serrada? Jimmy Tacosa teaches in Hawaii on the 'Big Island' its tropical and its USA where discrimanation is not tolerated, so you got a better chance to get taught by Filipino American eskrimadors !

13. tsefreeflow

tsefreeflow New Member

I teach Serrada in Arizona, and Master Tacosa is not on the Big Island.

14. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

If thats so, are there any Serrada teachers in Hawaii ? Just wondering ? Thanks

15. tsefreeflow

tsefreeflow New Member

There is.

16. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

Any Serrada instructors on Oahu. We would love some of the Serrada Fighters to come to our Pacific Island Showdown....

17. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

I don't know where Jimmy Tacosa is located but his school is on one of the islands. TSEFREEFLOW, are you going to come check it out? It would be great to see representatives from all the styles on the Islands to participate.

http://s118354457.onlinehome.us/TCE/index2.php

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hawaii is the home of [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Pacific Eskrima Academy[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pacific Eskrima Academy, Hilo, Big Island
    Instructor
    Master Jaime Tacosa
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Scott Lee[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Peter Kerr - DBA Tactical Tracking Operations School[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click Here to see images and info on the Ola'a Community Center Class

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tacosa Cadena Eskrima - Elders[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Leon Rosario---Bill Waters III----Serge Aberilla--Scott Lee--Brent Alton[/FONT]
    Classes are now being held on UH Hilo campus....Tuesdays 6 p.m. at the Campus center plaza for info please contact Justin Arias at bayani@hawaii.edu or Scott Lee at 808-969-6819. Sponsored by the University of Hawaii Hilo Bayanihan Club
    "To Embrace culture is to Embrace Life"

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]​

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  18. Dagadiablo

Dagadiablo New Member

From what I understand, Jimmie is in Hilo, on da Big Island. There is a Pake guy in Kaimuki (Oahu) who also does Wing Chun--supposedly pretty knowledgeble in Serrada. Guro Alan Gantala from Waipahu also plays Serrada (he learned in Stockton, CA from John Eliab Sr. AND Dentoy Revillar--some of da best) try check him out, too. Not sure if he teaches Serrada publicly, though.

Guro Mike Yee plays in Kaneohe. Good stuff. He plays a combo of Largo, Serrada, Balintawak as well as Mande Muda/Sundanese Silat. Not sure if he's willing to teach publicly, though. Too many "Gung Ho" Rambo types starting to get interested in the Pinoy arts. Try search on YouTube.com for Malaya Eskrima, Guro Mike is playing in Red at the start of da clip.

Aloha and Mabuhay!

19. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Thanks Dagadiablo, do you know how to get a hold of Mike Yee? I wouldnt mind checking out some Balintawak.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  20. paulb3

paulb3 New Member

Yeah I tried contacting them but so far no luck. I talked to the 'Ola'a community center people and they said they used to have classes there about 2 years ago. Would be nice to get an update or something from the people when you contact them from their website.

Anyway I'm still looking for FMA instructors on the Big Island.

:)