Buffalo-Niagara Laban Laro #10!

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by James Miller, Oct 17, 2011.

1. James Miller

James Miller Member Supporting Member

Greetings-

We are quickly approaching the end of the year, and it will be over before we know it. That being said I would like to inform everyone of one of the largest and longest ruling tournaments in North America! The Buffalo - Niagara Laban Laro is celebrating the 10th running of the tournament.

This year's event will feature separate divisions for Men, Women and Children of all ages. We will be adding LIVE STICK with KICKING for the adults.

Prizes: Ours are second to none! Continuing from last years event, ALL First place winners will receive Championship Belts and custom medals for 2nd & 3rd place!

You can go to www.queencitylabanlaro.com for more information.

Attached Files:

2. Goodnews

Goodnews New Member

Rules? Especially in the live stick division.

3. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Working on finishing the written rules soon. We shot a quick reference video, which should be up in a week. A quick run down of the rules are as follow:

• Live stick scoring will be a 10 - 9 system.
    • A match will be three 45 second rounds with a 15 break in between rounds.
    • Kicks are allowed to the body.
    • A stick drop is a 1 point deduction.
    • Disarms are worth 2 points.
    • No thrusts allowed, take downs or grappling allowed.
    • Ties will be settled in a first blood overtime round.
    I will be posting more soon. If you have a specific question, please ask.

4. Jack Latorre

Jack Latorre Siyam

How about punching?

5. Datu Tim Hartman

No punching, elbows or knees. The rules are based on the ones used at the Arnold Classic. I'm in the process of making modifications to them to make them fit better for tournament use.

6. Jack Latorre

Jack Latorre Siyam

7. Datu Tim Hartman

No. To close to punching for some people.

8. Jack Latorre

Jack Latorre Siyam

Minimal padding? Like fencing helmet and groin cup? Street hockey gloves? Or are batting gloves okay?

9. Datu Tim Hartman

10. Datu Tim Hartman

One month and counting! Hope to see you here!

11. Datu Tim Hartman

One week away! Who's getting a belt this year?

2011-04-09 13.51.26_West Seneca_New York_US.jpg 208466_10150158009287403_505492402_6607895_4133170_n.jpg Belts.jpg DSC02230.jpg DSC02222.jpg

12. Crimthaan

Crimthaan New Member

You mentioned in the video that during the live stick sparring there are no strikes below the waist allowed but we are allowed to "block" the kicks. Would I be penalized if I saw someone come in with a side kick and I struck them in the leg with a 1 or 2 show (or their variations)?

13. Datu Tim Hartman

While kicking the leg may be blocked or deflected with your stick.

14. Datu Tim Hartman

Two days away with 50 fighters pre-registered, most of them adults! This should be a great event!

15. tswolfman

tswolfman Member

Great Tournament with over 60 participants 18 35 + Adults in Divisions.

16. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

Meant to stop in and say hello, but got sidetracked with a garage repair. Saw some pics on Facebook, looked like a lot of fun.

17. BirdieKing

BirdieKing Member

IMG_1264.jpg

What a great tournament! I had a blast fighting and visiting old friends and meeting new ones. As usual Datu Tim and his Horizon Martial Arts team put on a first class tournament. Registration was smooth and he has forms and cards for each division. After registration you have the option to get warmed up in any number of areas that are available in the 5000 sq foot facility. The turnout this year was awesome and the 60 competitors and associated family and friends fit into the space without it seeming to crowded. The training floor is of quality matting and you always feel like you are safe and sure footed. There is a changing room, it's cozy but does the job. The bathrooms are also cozy but are clean and Horizon has one for both sexes. The middle of the dojo has a lounge area with plenty of space for socializing with any number of competitors from all over the states and Canada. The lounge has WiFi, couches, tables and a large flat screen tv. I got to catch up with our Ilustrisimo brothers from Undisputed who came down from across the border in Canada. Horizon also has a fully stocked pro shop so you can grab a tee shirt, padded stick (pink was a popular choice), or just about anything else FMA related.

After everyone settled in we started and the rounds ticked off without a hitch. A few injuries were sustained but thanks to Nurse Dan and the other amazing professionals on site to provide emergency care we were patched up and back to business.

Judging in sports is always an issue and the Horizon team does their best to make sure it's fair. Judges are usually experienced fighters and do a great job calling the matches. This doesn't mean I won't argue with them if they foolishly though that my guy lost!!!! :)

A few things about the timing of the matches should be considered. While everything did run smooth we did run into a snag with one match where our fighter won his first however did not move on. This was discovered and fixed quickly and fairly, communicated to all fighters and then we continued. Walang problema. The tournament, depending on your division will be perfect or seem like forever, but this is usually the case with these events, can't be avoided. Datu has 2 rings and uses them efficiently and works hard to make changes each year that seem to speed things up or at least let you know when you will be fighting so you can plan your day. Our group has so many fighters in different categories it always felt like we had someone doing something with let the day fly by.

After the tournament Datu Tim and his team are always gracious, witty and fun to hang out with. I just always have a great time out here and never regret the 18 hour minimum drive to get here. The drive this year was more fun thanks to Guro John Bednarski and his student Mike who are our Bahad Zubu brothers from Chicago's Midway Kodenkan. Guro John will be hosting the Pacific Island Gathering this year on August 4th. We will be also attending that and as always I expect it to be as fun and well run as Laban Laro!

Maraming salamat Po Datu Tim for everything and we hope to come back and take a few more of your belts and medals again next year muhahaha,

Gumagalang,

Mark Basel
    www.bahadzubu.net
    www.fmatalklive.com

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  18. Datu Tim Hartman

The tournament was a great success. We had 68 competitors that came from as far as Minnesota! the 35 & over division had 18 competitors. This weekend tune into FMATalk live for the tournament review. Next year's event will be April 13th. We added more age and weight divisions as well as having a $100 cash prize for the Point Stick Fighting Grand Champions!

Attached Files:

19. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Fantastic!!!

20. Tagadagat

Tagadagat New Member

Belated thanks Datu Tim for hosting yet another wonderful tournament. Every year the 18 hour drive from MN to the tournament is made worth it by the fun we have once we arrive. Already looking forward to next year.

On another note, for anyone who attended the tournament and took video, I am looking for any footage of my fights (we were the team in the basketball uniform, and I was the one wearing knee socks in the adult advanced/bb division). Unfortunately by the time I was up to compete all the cameras my team brought died. Any footage shared would be for my own personal viewing, and not for the purpose of sharing publicly (at least on my end, feel free to post it if you would like). Anyways, figure its a long shot, but any footage no matter how short or bad, would be greatly appreciated.