Breathing

Discussion in 'Lameco' started by Dmitry, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Dmitry

Dmitry New Member

Hello, folks,
    How do you approach and train a breathing aspect of hitting with a stick? It is obviously connected with strength and speed of the strike, and especially of striking combinations.
    Is reverse breathing among the solutions to enhance your techniques?
    Doing combinations in one exhale (post of TuhonBill on PTI) is a good start too but it does not directly touch upon the way you have to breath.
    Best regards

2. Guro Dave Gould

Guro Dave Gould LAMECO ESKRIMA SYSTEM

Breathing and Weight Distribution on Impact

I hope that all is well with everyone and that all are training with intention.

In Lameco Eskrima distributing ones weight on impact has a far greater significance than merely breathing out on impact while delivering ones strikes. In fact the combination of the two, weight distribution and breathing out on impact simultaneously are the true goals to be met in developing combatively as one strikes and comes into contact with ones intended target.

In Lameco Eskrima Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite placed the utmost importance on effective striking. He strongly focussed on developing the 5 basic yet essential components of ones strikes; non-telegraphic striking, speed, power, precision and recovery.

These 5 basic yet essential components were influenced from Manong Jose D. Caballero of De Campo Uno-Dos-Tres Orehenal fame. when Manong Caballero, as well as Punong Guro Sulite, would strike neither would announce intent and each would simultaneously distribute weight and breath out on impact resulting in lightening speed, precision and power when their garote came into contact with their opponent`s respectively.

As either men would strike on their opponent`s position neither would move any part of the body until the stick was in motion and only then the body would simultaneously distribute weight onto the lead foot as they breathed out as the garote came into contact with the intended target, and then become neutral in stance as they recover both the line of engagement and centerline while awaiting more opportunity should the situation necessitate it.

Striking is a science in Lameco Eskrima which is why Punong Guro Sulite would demand of us, his students, a thousand hours of practice just to be able to get the fundamentals down and master the basics of the system. He often stated that when fighting 95 percent of what we will use will be basic in nature so that was exactly what we were charged to master. Which is why Lameco Eskrima has never been a system of redundant numerous dead series of drills but rather a system of proven combative movement that must be trained in a realistic non-compliant environment where we are fully held accountable both for what we do and what we fail to do in combat.

Go well, ciao.

Guro Dave Gould.

3. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

As of lately, I have been stressing the recovery phase, as I found out that it had been previously neglected in my practice, and has so much to do with speed and power as well...

In view of breathing, in my case it is along the same lines generally as used in boxing.

4. Dmitry

Dmitry New Member

Dear Guro Dave Gould,
    Thank you very much for providing insights into the topic.

5. Guro Dave Gould

Breathing as a Form of Opportunity.

To add to what I have already stated above concerning Breathing on impact with ones intended target, in Lameco Eskrima breathing can also take on a radically different connotation. In addition to non-telegraphic striking, meaning not to announce intent to his opponent when he would strike, Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite would always look for the best opportunity to strike his opponent in an attempt to catch his opponent unaware or simply in hesitation. Breathing as a form of opportunity, if you will...

Among other things, Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite would often try and move his opponent to face the sun allowing the sun to temporarily distract his opponent as he would attempt a strike on target. As well he would often "time" his opponent "blinking his eyes" and strike on target just as his opponent would subconsciously "blink his eyes" thereby giving PG Sulite a fraction of a second advantage over his opponent which was more than enough to break his opponents head as a direct result.

PG Sulite would also time his opponent "breathing in" or "taking a deep breath" as he always stated that when people strike they exhale for power so if you could time them just starting to take a breath they would subconsciously not be prepared to react right away as this act contradicts effective striking or a positive quick reaction on their part. He would watch the chest of his opponent and just as he would observe it swelling filling with air he would immediately launch an all out attack on his opponents position.

PG Sulite would also strike on target as someone would begin to "speak" or "scream" at him, or when they would "shift" their eyes to look at something out of context, or when they would swallow, or investigate an injury that they feel that they have just experienced, or immediately after his opponent would strike on him and begin to pull their strike back to neutral he would follow the recovery of that strike immediately as most people that strike do not think attack as they complete the strike but rather recovery which means that they will be caught in transition and temporarily less probable to deal with an immediate counter attack in the process.

More times than not PG Sulite would catch his opponents lumbering in hesitation resulting in him having a positive effect in defeating his opponents as a direct result of these distinct actions. Just food for thought.

Train well, ciao.

Guro Dave Gould.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've had the same thought but I just do not have the timing to do it with any regularity! Someone who can do that would surely have an advantage--small, maybe, but an advantage still!

7. Guro Dave Gould

Timing Opportunities.

Arnisador,

Hello, I hope that all goes well with you. Actually timing opportunities can be taken advantage of with more success than one might think. With enough awareness training you would be surprised what "traits", "bad habits" or even "natural behavior" that your opponent commonly displays on a subconscious level which can easily be used against him in combat.

When I first began to train privately with Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite (1992), even with 15 years of experience in the Pilipino Warrior Arts at that point of time, I had a very difficult time adjusting to his unique points of view regarding combat and conforming to his way of training.

After emptying my cup so that it could be filled with his knowledge so to speak, I soon came around to new and more effective points of views concerning more effective combative movement. Before I realized it I was highly aware of things which I never knew existed before. Having the ability to "Time" my attack to opportunities such as someone blinking their eyes, swallowing, breathing, diverting their eyes, or telegraphing their strikes by announcing intent with un-necessary movement before the strike could be placed into motion was all but common place and purely on a subconscious level. Meaning that I did not have to think about it my response just happened as a direct result influenced by thousands of hours of practice.

To get a sense of what I am talking about the next time that you train with your training partner get in front of him and tell him that when you strike to move away from you. Time the blinking of his eyes and immediately strike on his position and you will see how far that nano-second of opportunity will get you. Currently with a number "one" strike as soon as my training partner blinks his eyes the tip of my stick is immediately placed in motion and it moves all but a few inches from his head when he completes his blink and is made aware of the strike. Giving me more than enough time to break his head uncontested if I choose to do so.

Then repeat the drill to include your opponent`s swallows, breathing in, or diverting his eyes, or eventually diverting attention to anything other than you. This was all part of "Kaabtik" or alertness training in Lameco Eskrima and once I completed this progression I became a smarter fighter in addition to being more aware of my personal space and immediate environment.

Train well, ciao.

Guro Dave Gould.

8. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Wow, this has turned into a great thread! Just the latest two posts by guro Gould contain more martial art "secrets" that you would be able to find in years of digging around for those... Maraming salamat po!