books

Discussion in 'General' started by snake, Oct 8, 2008.

1. snake

snake New Member

has anyone read mark wileys new book martial culture its the best fma book ive read

2. silat1

silat1 Active Member

There are better written books than that on the market.. Look for the books that Rey Galang (Guardians of the blade) and the book on Cebuano eskrima by Ned Nepanague.. Those are books closer to the history and coverage of the FMA as written from the source.

3. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

I agree. I've spoken with alot of masters and mark wileys books are not that accurate.

4. Raul

Raul Mananandata

Not that new, I've read this book years ago. Its a fine book IMO.

5. Shaun

Shaun New Member

I believe this is a newer edition of Mark Wiley's original book. Grandmaster Lema and Master E.Ybanez are on the cover of this latest edition.

I remember speaking to Mang Ben at the time Mark Wiley was interviewing him(Mang Ben) for the book.I know Mang Ben was interested in Mark Wiley's book and took the whole business of the book seriously.

There is another good FMA book by Ray Galang called Warrior Arts of the Philippines.
    Mang Ben and several other distinguished Grandmasters are on the cover.

6. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I believe, in fact, that Rey Galang's "Guardians..." has not even been published yet, but all his other books are top of the notch, and I really recommend them wholeheartedly. The same stands for Nepangue/Macachor book "Cebuano Eskrima", as that is one of the most throughly researched and presented books, historically-wise at least.

7. silat1

silat1 Active Member

One of the other books that beats wiley's is the one that Edgar Sulite wrote before his death.. It was called Masters of Eskrima, Arnis and Kali. It had Limited exposure on the US mainland as it was published in the Philippines.. I believe it was the forerunner on the books that followed and were published/written by Wiley and Rey Galang.. It brought up a lot of the senior instructors that contributed to the formulation of Lameco and the other systems that were less known at the time..

8. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Bill any idea if there are still copies of that book out on the market?

9. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I'll look and see when I am in the Philippines next week.. If not I will make contact with a source in Manila to see if they have it in stock..

10. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Billy if you can find one snag me a copy...I'll Divy up with ya when you get home....

11. corwin137

corwin137 Slayer of knuckledraggers

12. Millennia

Millennia New Member

I saw Edgar Sulite's books at Ray Floros house recently but haven't been able to track down any copies for myself yet. For the time being I have read a few of Mark Wiley's books but would love some suggestions for further reading on FMA.... anybody got any recommendations?