books on balintawak

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by kevin hand, Dec 23, 2014.

1. kevin hand

kevin hand New Member

hello everyone!
    i hope everyone is doing well. i have noticed that there are few books on balintawak. actually, the fma really suffers a lack of quality instructional/historical books in general. ive got all of the books by dan anderson and many by mark wiley. and several others as well. ive begun re-collecting as i gave my collection to a friend for his martial arts school a couple of years ago in illinois. today as i researched the balintawak pages here i found a couple of books mentioned and have looked them up. i plan to email the sites to see if the books are still available. ive also found a fellow about an hour from where i live here in northern florida that teaches under gm bobby. so we will begin my training as soon as the holidays clear.
    from what i have witnessed by observing the videos and instructional videos i have seen is that balintawak is not necessarily a mass market system. it takes two to tango in this art. but that is what i love about it. it has a great sense of close quarters fighting that has drawn me into a newfound love for this system. ive trained in other systems but have mostly been exposed to the doce pares system the most. i dont degrade or downplay any system of martial art because i love them all. they each have their own use and purpose.
    but unlike the arts brought to the u.s. by early open pioneers the fma lack in quality instructional books. i hope that some of the balintawak instructors out there can see this and take advantage of the idea of creating such books. i love to read history as well as technique. it helps to form a mindset for people who eventually begin to train in the arts they are reading about.
    well, thanks for taking a moment to read this. happy holidays to everyone! kevin hand

2. free2flow

free2flow New Member

3. kevin hand

kevin hand New Member

ive been trying to get that book! i ordered it off a website called big cartel.com but havent received it yet. found the girl in the philippines who is selling it on facebook and she wrote me once but hasnt responded to my last email. found another guy on here as listed as selling it from there too and just emailed him. do you know of any other place that is selling it? also, sam buot is selling a cd of balintawak which has the book in pdf form. 35 bucks for that. going to be ordering it sometime soon. thanks for any help!

4. kevin hand

kevin hand New Member

so, i contacted the girl in the philippines who is selling the balintawak book by john russell. she will be sending it as soon as the pope leaves. apparently the pope being there shuts everything down. but anyways, she charges 25 bucks for the book. and then she has three different shipping rates...US$20 for EMS - 5 days, with tracking
    US$15 for airmail - 2-3 weeks, no tracking
    US$7 surface mail - 2-3 months

is what she sent me in an email for the rates. the book can be found on www.bigcartel.com if you search for the book itself. her name is likha cuevas. she is on facebook as well. ive been communicating back and forth with her about the book. i sent the 25 dollars but there was an issue with the pricing on big cartel. her husband posted only the book price. so i agreed to send her the money for the shipping. also, she explained to me that she is friends with the author and has a good supply of the books available so if you are interested in the book you may want to contact her.

5. K Williams

K Williams New Member

6. free2flow

free2flow New Member

7. Codex

Codex New Member

8. K Williams

K Williams New Member

The book arrived a couple of days ago.

[​IMG]