body slam

Discussion in 'General' started by Dawn, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Dawn

Dawn New Member

Hi. I got to see an open style full contact tournament recently and I noticed that some competitors (men's div), after an initial exchange of strikes would sort of "body slam" and wave their arms about until the referee tells them to separate. One pair of arms would be about waist level and the other pair would be overhead.

Can anyone tell me what this is for, exactly? I don't know what style they were using so I'm posting in the general section. Thank you! =)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  2. Banakun

Banakun New Member

Hi... arms waiving, one pair up, the other down until the ref breaks them...this sounds a lot like Tae Kwon Do to me... not sure though since my assessment is solely based on the posts description...

3. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Was it an eskrima tournament Dawn? Your post doesn't mentition the use of weapons.

4. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I'd say that the arm waving is actually aimed at making the ref aware that it is time to break them apart and restart the exchange.

5. Dawn

Dawn New Member

Yes, they were using 1 padded stick each. Headgear, chest and groin guard, and something for the arms. Two judges on opposite corners, one referee, race to 5 points, three 2-minute rounds. I don't quite get some of the fouls, but that's for another post.

oh, sorry, I meant what was the body slam for, not the hand waving. It reminds me of boxing, like when one would hang on to the other fighter, but not quite.

Those boys weren't tired and were still quite frisky. They could've avoided the slam altogether or separated themselves without waiting for the ref. What caught my attention was that they were doing it again and again and again, after a brief flurry of strikes. It was so weird i don't get it that I just had to ask.

It wasn't even just one person but I saw it in other weight categories. I think there was a whole team (or two) doing that but i was focused on the women's fights that i wasn't sure which team those guys were on.

Was it just the momentum of a forward movement or was it something else? Is there a point to sticking your body close to your opponent in a fight? None of the ladies were doing that, so I was like, huh?

I hope you get what I'm confused about. Thank you

:sword2:

6. I think so and it's something that I'm trying to overcome in my own personal training. In stick-fighting it seems that the majority of people are comfortable at "Long Range" but given the protection that padded sticks bring it's possible to eat a few strikes and end up in grappling range - something I'm sure many styles don't train in proportion to long / medium range. So when they get there they revert to the other styles that most eskrimadors have come from and completelty forget they are holding a weapon. :(

However, having a padded stick plus all that gear your talking about doesn't help matters. A helmet and gloves would be fine IMO.

Simon.

7. Dawn

Dawn New Member

Hi Simon,

The chest plate is optional for the men's senior division.

You are so right about most people (like me) being comfortable in long range.

I competed in a tournament recently and got demolished with this thing. Wiped out, totally! :eek:

But I think I got it. It's about the freaking point. After hitting you once they immediately close in so you can't move your arms properly to make a scorable strike (i think you have to be in proper stance/distance to get a point). Since I haven't trained in any other martial art it was so disorienting. Luckily there was someone there I could ask to my heart's content :eek:

...but it was way after the match.

Apparently it's called a clinch and I have a LOT more training to do. Hahahaha!!

Gosh it felt good to lose that fight. I learned a lot, up close and personal!

8. Ryno

Ryno New Member

Yes, it is called a clinch. When done in stickfighting, you'll often see a player overwrap their opponent's weapon hand, which ties up their stick under the armpit. It minimizes the damage that can be done at close range, although whipping abanico style wrist flicks can sometimes still be employed to minimal effect.

The clinch is often used when someone panics a bit because they are being outhit, or just feel that they are in a bad position. It is used to minimize the damage that an opponent can inflict. This is true for both stickfighting and boxing. With stickfighting, it becomes annoyingly common tactic especially with padded sticks, as it's easier to wade through power strikes without them actually hurting, minimize damage/scoring via clinch, then hope to score with abanico style wrist-flicking counters.

I disagree with this style of tactic for stickfighters in a combative sense but it tends to happen a lot in stick-only tournament styles. Combatively it is easy to counter a stickfighters clinch if you know how to use knees, elbows, headbutts, and hook punches, or are adept at throwing. But if none of these options are allowed, it can be a bit more difficult to clear yourself from the clinch.

If you are going to be competing in a stick-only tournament, particularly in a padded stick division, I'd recommend working some clinch breaks and clinch avoidance drills ahead of time to minimize getting stuck there. Best to consult your instructor in this matter.

9. Ryno

Ryno New Member

Addition: Dawn, I see that you are also LESKAS/LSAI. The easy answer for you would be to check them in the face and throw retracted verticals as they come in to clinch. That's my first line of defense. ;)

I prefer verticals (think combination 11-style) to a classic diagonal #1, because with a 1 it's easy to overextend where they can make that overwrap and catch your stick under their armpit. So what I do is either hit them with a jab, or if that's not allowed, check their head to keep them from pushing in. Then as they start reaching up to grab/overwrap my stick, throw the verticals from open side, hitting their hand as they reach. Preferrably right on the fingertips to teach them a lesson for trying to grab Lightning. ;p This usually gets them to quit being so grabby, and then you're free to bully them with checks, blanketing them with hits.

Ryan Greene
    LESKAS Seattle

10. Dawn

Dawn New Member

Hi Ryan. When I first posted this topic last October I honestly didn't know I was going to compete so soon after that. It was a bit of a surprise. Yep, instructor consulted and I am looking forward to the lessons/drills our teacher has in store for me and my teammates. :)

Thanks. :) I'll remember that next time, assuming they allow the checking hand and don't (mis)take it for a pushing foul. I notice that tournament rules can be so variable sometimes.