Black Belt Magazine Article on Jujutsu and Eskrima.

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by arnisador, Aug 13, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The Sept. 2006 issue of Black Belt magazine has an article on the relationship between jujutsu and eskrima. I expected something trite, but it was actually a good article on how eskrima drills have been used to enliven the sometimes pattern-enmeshed Japanese stick arts of jujutsu, and how the locking techniques of jujutsu have been used with eskrima techniques. The article also discusses the issues of trapping in both systems.

I thought of Modern Arnis and Eskrido, both of which have borrowed from jujutsu systems, when I read this.

2. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I was just discussing the stick arts of Japan and Okinawa with one of my newer students tonight. He was asking about the Tanbo (also spelled tombo) specifically. I've done some tanbo training and I have to say that comparing that to Filipino stick work, is like comparing a bow and arrow to an automatic pistol.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The author wasn't quite as strong about it as that but his thoughts seemed to be in the same direction. I liked the way he made his points about what jujutsu could give back to eskrima, though!