best knife fights in the movies

Discussion in 'General' started by equilibrium, Feb 10, 2009.

1. equilibrium

equilibrium New Member

What are some of the best knife fighting scenes in movies?

1. The Hunted
    2. ?

2. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Jennifer Garner's character in The Kingdom vs. the Saudi terrorist. Short, sweet, and to the point. You gotta love the double-force knife thrusts in Pakal grip...

Best,

Steve

3. silat1

silat1 Active Member

There are several good fight scenes and training scenes in the movie "Exposure". It was filmed in Brazil and starred Peter Coyote with the knife fights choreographed by Chris Kent from JKD fame. It shows how the Inosanto/Lacoste pattern is used along with the tapping and countering of this system.. At the conclusion of the movie, there is a serious albeit short knife fight where Peter Coyote uses a Randall 14 as his blade of preference in the fight against the aggressor..

4. Christian

Christian New Member

The scene in "Kalifornia" where the bad guy stabs somebody in the rest room of the truck stop. Not really a "knife fight" but quite close to reality I gues.

Regards
    Christian

5. davidtorez

davidtorez New Member

My favourite scene was in the movie "Taken" with Leam Niesen taking on the Albanian criminals on board the boat right at the end of the movie. Excellent knife trapping techniques in my opinion.

Dave

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Exposure is a definite favorite! Lots of good stuff in The Hunted too.

I criticized the knife duel at the end of Under Siege all the way through but must admit that I enjoyed seeing Tommy Lee Jones doing this sort of thing. Sorry!

7. sjansen

sjansen New Member

I still get "When your a shark your a shark..." in my head when we pull out the knives. Everyone wonders why I am smiling.

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The last two Bond movies have had some decent knifework--reasonably realistic, within movie expectations!

9. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

The Russian Mob flick......Eastern Promises...two men both bladed against one man empty handed...they all get mucked up.

Last of the Mohicans has some good scenes int as well as the Patriot....a lot of Tomahawk y daga

M

10. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Great flick. Last time I watched it I called my wife into the living room and said "You wanna see a great fight?" She trains in M.A. too so she was into it.

David Cronenburg made an inspired choice to arm the Chechen hit-men with linoleum knives.

Two more spring to mind. David Bourne vs. hit man in The Bourne Ultimatum has some nice candlestick vs. book and straight razor vs. towel action:

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevanc...45pp8_bourne-ultimatum-fight-scene_shortfilms

And the various weapons fighting scenes in Gangs of New York are worth watching.

Best,

Steve

11. tellner

tellner New Member

Like I said over on MartialTalk, the all-time winner bar none is the fight in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid where Logan challenges Butch for leadership in the gang.

12. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Aaah, you beat me to the punch with that one!

13. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Also check the western Saraphim Falls with Liam Neeson and Pierce Brosnan....some ass kicking Bowie scenes and a damn good western.....

14. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

TAKEN...some excellent knife scenes and just a kick ass flik all around

15. geezer

geezer Member

Old gaucho movies?

Anybody ever see the old Argentine gaucho flicks, Don Segundo Sombra and Ramon Fiero? They do a lot of fighting with gaucho long knives... maybe a foot to 18 inch blades. One of them had a fight between a mixed-blood gaucho with his long-knife and an Indian using a South American bolo (not a Filipino bolo or machete, but weights attached to a length of cord). When fighting with the bolo, they'd hold one weighted end between their toes, and swing the other overhead to ensnare the knife-wielder or crush his skull. In this instance the knife-fighter won.

16. equilibrium

equilibrium New Member

knife fights in the movies

I put up the ones that I found here. If you have youtube or google links, pass them on. For some reason I couldn't find Taken and a few others.. there is an interesting knife fight in Rebel without a cause...

http://www.bladefighting.com/knifefightsinmovies.htm

17. sharon.gmc

sharon.gmc New Member

I go for Taken too. At first I thought, Liam Neeson in an action movie? But then I continued watching and oh boy, he's so good. I love watching his fight scenes.

18. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I'm still waiting to see it! Hopefully this weekend.

19. pguinto

pguinto New Member

the knife fight in Saving Private Ryan was pretty wicked
    lets not forget all the knife action in Big Trouble in Little China...... sequel please and call it Big Trouble: Tales from the Pork Chop Express

although nothing tops the Michael Jackson knife fight in the Beat It music video which pays tribute to West Side Story......... rofl

anyone been catching the sword/knife choreography in the Legend of the Seeker tv series? the guy who played Jango Fett is in one of the episodes playing a............... bounty hunter, of course :)

Do Wolverine's claws count? His blade work when the mansion was raided was cool
    Also (Vin Diesel as) Riddick is a knife oriented character as well.
    and didnt Lou Diamond Phillips do some knife stuff in Young Guns as well as John Woo's The Big Hit ?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  20. pguinto

pguinto New Member

Just remembered Mark Dacascos' scenes in Le Pacte des Loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf)
    a girl i know put it this way: ...this movie is all about the indian...

i once saw an old western about a persecuted american indian tribe and a filipino warrior, i dont remember it too well, just that the footnote at the end of the movie claims of filipino warriors intermingling with the american indians

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009