Basics

Discussion in 'Serrada' started by tupang itim, Aug 9, 2010.

1. tupang itim

tupang itim New Member

Hi,

I have read quite a bit and saw a few videos already about Cabales Serrada system. I would like to ask does serrada practitioners start their basics with the shorter 18" (correct me if I'm wrong about the aforementioned measurement) stick? Do you really have drills using the shorter stick or it's just the practitioner's preference to use it during drills/practice?

Many Thanks,

R.D

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  2. pguinto

pguinto New Member

one of my instructors (that was cert'd by GGM Angel) once told me that the recommended size is measured by holding your arm out horizontally to the side then measuring from armpit to wrist (or the center of the hand) with the hand bent (as close to) about 90 degrees down at the wrist

so if you're 5'5" and your partner is about 6'4", you'll have to deal with his longer reach as well as the longer stick,
    on the other hand, he will have to deal with your ability to shrink a lot further than he can

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  3. tupang itim

tupang itim New Member

Thank you for that information pguinto.

4. pguinto

pguinto New Member

You're most welcome.
    Just a heads up - when you wanna thank someone, all you have to do is click the "THANKS" icon underneath his/her post.

5. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Its my understanding from speaking with a couple different high ranking Serrada players, that GM Cabales switched to a shorter stick later in life as Serrada became more focused on close range but that earlier in life he used a longer stick. From what I have been told, many of his later students copied his use of the shorter stick but many of his earlier students stayed with a longer one to suit their needs. For example, I have read on the Inayan Eskrima forums that their practitioners use a 28 inch stick for their Serrada. Of course, they also view Serrada as a medium range system so that probably influences their choice.